When you choose to save with the HSBC Flexi Saver account you will be rewarded each month for meeting deposit goals. Even if life gets in the way and you miss one month, your savings are still increased with a competitive base interest rate of 0.65% p.a. This type of flexibility gives you more control over how you reach your savings goals.
To be eligible for the bonus interest rate, your balance needs to be $300 higher (excluding interest) than it was on the first business day of that particular month.
What are the features of the HSBC Flexi Saver account?
You will find that the features of the Flexi Saver Account are designed to help you build your savings and meet your financial goals.
Base interest of 0.65% p.a.
The standard variable rate for this savings account is 0.65% p.a.
Your bonus interest - receive up to 2.15% p.a.
If you are able to increase the total of your savings account by $300 by the last business day of the month, you are rewarded with 1.50% p.a. interest for the following month. Added to your standard rate, this equals an interest rate of 2.15% p.a. being applied to your savings.
Bonus interest conditions - increase your balance by $300 each month
Keep in mind that the deposit threshold to receive the bonus does not include any interest earned, and the account has to increase in value by the stated amount. If you deposit $350, but withdraw $100, then you will not be able to receive the bonus. This is a month by month reward system, so if you are unable to meet the goal once in a month, you can still receive the bonus interest the next if you make the $300 deposit.
How is my interest calculated?
The interest rate is calculated daily and paid into your account monthly on balances of up to $5,000,000. If you like to compare savings accounts where the maximum rate applies to the whole balance, please see this page.
For bonus interest earned, that amount will be applied on the balance for the following month. For example, if you meet the goal in January, your savings account balance for the month of February will have the bonus interest rate of 2.30% p.a. applied to it. It is a variable interest rate, so will most likely move alongside the RBA cash rate.
You can set up direct credits from your payroll into the Flexi Saver Account to ensure that you don’t forget about making the goal.
You can make unlimited deposits into your account and unlimited withdrawals by using internet and mobile banking, phone banking or in a branch free of charge.
$0 Monthly account maintenance fee
You are not charged a monthly fee for having this account.
You can transfer funds from this account to any Australian bank account, though the transfers could take 1-3 business days to process. AUD transfers are instant to any HSBC Australia account.
Flexi Saver also available in major foreign currencies
Save in foreign currencies with flexible access to your account. Please note, the rates on this page do not apply to the foreign currencies. To see the rates, please see this page.
- Ongoing, variable 2.15% p.a when your closing balance is $300 higher on the last business day of the month than it was on the first business day of that month
- $0 monthly account fee
- At-call access to your savings with instant transfers to other HSBC Australia accounts
- Conditions apply to receive bonus interest
- Lack of branches in Australia
How do I apply for the HSBC Flexi Saver Account?
Having the flexibility of still earning interest even when a deposit obligation is not met is a compelling reason to choose this savings account. If you wish to continue to the application, click ‘Go to site’ to be re-routed to the application page.
Eligibility to apply online
First be sure that you are able to meet the eligibility requirements:
- How old are you? You must be at least 18 years old to open the Flexi Saver Account.
- Where do you live? Only applicants with a valid Australian residential address will be considered.
- For what will this account be used for? This is a personal savings account only. Businesses, companies and trusts should contact HSBC for information about their commercial banking options or refer to our business banking section.
Documentation to apply online
If you meet the criteria, gather the following documentation and proceed to the secure application page:
- Your identity documents. You are required by law to prove your identity before opening a bank account in Australia. This can be done using a driver’s licence or passport. If HSBC is unable to confirm your identity electronically, you may be asked to present yourself in person.
- Your account details. In order to be able to transfer funds in and out of your new savings account, you will need to provide HSBC with the details of a transaction account you will be using for your transactions.
- Your personal details. You will be asked to provide your full name, date of birth, residential and email address.
What happens after I apply?
Once your application has been submitted, expect to hear back from an HSBC account representative in two business days. Once you have been issued an account number, you can begin depositing money to reach your saving goals.
What if I'm a non-resident or not eligible to apply online?
HSBC provides migrant services that you can use so that before you arrive in Australia, or currently a non-resident, an account can be set up. If none of the above applies to you, please speak to HSBC directly or visit a local branch to find out more.
Bonus interest is for limited time only, how long is the time?
This account doesn’t have a limited time interest offer. Rather, you’ll continue to earn the bonus interest on balances up to $5,000,000 as long as you make sure your account balance on the last business day of the month is $300 higher than it was on the first business day of the month.
If I have a Flexi Saver euro account can I transfer the euro to my HSBC Malta account?
Yes you can transfer Euro, but you need to do it online as in branch services are limited to AUD and HKD. I’ve also taken this out of the HSBC fees and charges guide – “Where you are a customer of an HSBC Group member that offers you the ability to transfer funds from your Account to the account you hold with an HSBC Group member via the HSBC Global Transfer platform available only through Personal Internet Banking, the sum of $8.00 per transaction will be debited from your Account by the HSBC Group member. This fee does not apply if you are an HSBC Premier customer.”