Discover which Australian health funds are sweetening the pot in 2017 with sign-up discounts and offers.
While the March deals have been and gone, health funds are still offering incentives for purchasing cover. Here you can find the latest offers from participating funds, and learn about the bonus rewards they offer to members.
Current promotions offered by participating funds
- Loyalty rewards. Buy any AHM Black & White combined policy and get a boost to your annual benefit limits on extras services for each year that you hold cover. AHM stand alone extras policies increase your benefit limits every five years.
- Specsavers. AHM members can receive a 25% off a single pair of glasses from the Specsavers $149 range or above. You can also get a 25% discount on lens options and free digital retinal photography.
- NRMA. Get 7.5% off Australian Unity policies if you are an NRMA member. This deal excludes Overseas Visitors Cover and Exclusive Lifestyle Packages.
- Save on optical products. Australian Unity members can enjoy 25% off on a pair of spectacles and a buy one, get one free deal on prescription sunglasses at any Eyecare Advantage store in Victoria and South Australia.
- Wellplan Rewards Program. Get discounts on gym memberships, fitness equipment, health foods, travel accessories, accommodation and entertainment.
- No Gap Dental Network. Australian Unity members can access no gap dental benefits for certain oral treatments. This means they pay no-out-of-pocket expenses although yearly limits still apply.
- Connect Rewards Plus. Under this program GMHBA members earn Connect Rewards dollars each year which can be used to increase annual benefit limits for certain services, reduce excess fees or cover out-of-pocket expenses.
- Fit Rewards. Purchase any GMHBA Fit package and earn points for participating in eligible fitness events. Points can be spent on a wide range of products including Fitbit wearables, sports watches and exercise equipment.
- Direct debit discount. Save 2% on your premiums by having them direct debited from your bank, credit union or building society.
- More for you programs. These help HCF members reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket expenses for a wide range of treatments. More for you programs are available for services relating to backs, feet, muscles, teeth, eyes and hearing.
- Travel and pet insurance. All members are eligible for a 10% discount on HCF pet policies and domestic or overseas travel cover. Higher tier health insurance policies reward you with free comprehensive travel insurance.
- Loyalty benefits. If you take out Gold or Platinum Extras your annual benefit limits on certain services increase each year that you maintain cover. These include a range of dental procedures, physiotherapy, remedial massage and more.
- Fitness First. Platinum members on 3 or 12-month plans can get 10% off their fees at any Fitness First gym. A one-off joining fee of $75 still applies.
- NIB Eye Care. Get 100% back on three ranges of single vision prescription glasses and selected contact lenses.
- No-gap dental. Get 100% back on select preventative dental treatments at any NIB Dental Care Centre.
- Travel insurance. Take out any NIB health cover and receive a 10% discount on NIB travel insurance.
- QBE travel insurance. Transport Health offers its members a 30% discount on QBE's domestic and overseas travel insurance policies.
- No-gap dental and physio. Get free preventative and general dental check-ups at Transport Health's Primary Dental Centres and one no-gap physiotherapy consultation per year at Primary Physio Centres.
- Save on optical. Get 100% back on two pairs of single and multi-vision glasses at Specsavers along with 20% off all lens extras. You also receive free digital retinal photography and bulk billed eye tests.
Take advantage of discounts for specific policy types
- Corporate policies. Check with your employer to see if they offer corporate health insurance. Corporate sector discounts of up to 12% are often granted by health funds, which are then passed onto employees in the form of cheaper policies.
- Family policies. Many health funds offer incentives for families, such as no hospital admission excess for children, no-gap dental and allowing you to keep your child on your policy until they turn 25 (if they are studying full time).
- Single parent policies. Health funds have been allowed to provide single parents with a reduced premium compared to the family rate since 2007. If your fund does not offer a reduced rate, consider moving to another fund that does.
Other ways to save on your health insurance
Government health insurance schemes
Learn about how taking advantage of, or avoiding, government incentives and penalties can lower your premiums and reduce the amount you pay in tax.
Compare policies offered by 35 Australian health funds
- nib launches chatbot
- Kogan to launch new budget health insurance offering
- NSW women are healthier than ever
- Health round-up: Health insurance funding more hospital visits, demanding jobs affect kids and hangovers
- Australian consumers lying to their insurers
- A spate of heatwaves prompts warnings by NSW Health
*The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.