Apia Health Insurance
Apia specialises in health insurance for people over 50
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Apia aims to provide quality health care to individuals with a lot of experience in life. It only offers three mid-level hospital plans, but these are designed to cover what older Australians need without weighing them down with unnecessary services. In order to comply with the government's health insurance reforms, Apia now offers three different silver tier hospital plans tailored to suit its customers.
Top takeaways for Apia health insurance:
- Good for seniors. Apia keeps premiums down by not offering cover for treatments you won't need, such as assisted reproductive services and pregnancy and birth support.
- Good for customisable extras. Essential and Classics Extras keep premiums low by covering only a basic spread of services. Other extras you might need can be added on for an increase in premium.
- Extras can be expensive. Apia's Premium Extras is roughly $25 a week, which is more expensive than other extras with similar benefits and coverage.
Compare provider health insurance for you
What health insurance options are available?
You can combine hospital and extras cover with Apia to suit your needs. Here's a summary of your health insurance options.
- Silver Hospital. This comes with 29 claimable services and cover for the likes of heart and vascular system, back, neck and spine, implantation of hearing devices, lung and chest, blood, dental surgery and more
- Silver Hospital Plus. This includes everything covered in Silver Hospital as well as cataracts and joint replacements.
- Silver Premium Hospital Plus. Another upgraded version of the Silver plan, this also covers dialysis for chronic kidney failure, weight loss surgery, pain management with device, insulin pumps and sleep studies. In total, Silver Premium Hospital Plus plan comes with 36 claimable services.
These can be purchased separately, or combined with one of the two hospital covers above.
- Essential Extras. Provides a 60% benefit for a small range of services, including general and major dental treatment, optical appliances, and physiotherapy. No annual limit on preventative dental work. Additional extras, including pharmaceuticals, hearing aids and more, can be added on for a higher premium.
- Classic Extras. This also comes with 60% back on 6 claimable services but has higher annual limits e.g. $1300 for major dental compared to $600 with Essential Extras.
- Premium Extras. The most comprehensive extras policy available with Apia, you'll get 75% back on 22 claimable services, up to your annual limit.
Who is Apia?
Apia is a member of the Suncorp Group, specialising in insurance for seniors and over 50s. It serves over 700,000 Australians with products tailored towards people with a good deal of experience in living life.
As a member of the Suncorp Group, Apia members have access to Suncorp Rewards, giving them up to 15% savings on eGift cards for everyday items at over 100 retailers.
How to make a claim
If you're claiming for a particular health service, you can present your membership card at the time of service and claim your benefit immediately. Otherwise, you can make your claim online by uploading the relevant policy documents on your Apia account, or contact Apia by phone on 13 50 50 or mail at Apia Health Insurance, Locked Bag 2010, Newcastle, NSW, 2300.
More guides on Finder
Whistleblower Policy templates (Australia)
Find out what you need to know about Whistleblower Policy Templates before you use one.
Medical receptionist courses online
Find a medical receptionist course online to help land a job in health administration.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Free solvency resolution templates (Australia)
Find out what you'll need to know about filing a solvency resolution.
Find out what it costs to subscribe and if you can download documents for free.
Be money mindful: How to develop a positive money mindset during COVID-19
SPONSORED: You need to look after your financial health, not just your physical and mental health, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's how to do it.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
Best 2-in-1 laptops in Australia
Our expert team spent hundreds of hours testing laptops to find the six best 2-in-1 laptops you can buy.
Commercial cleaning services
What you need to know before hiring a professional commercial cleaning service.
Invisalign | How it works, what it costs and how it compares
Find out whether clear aligners suits you best with our Invisalign review.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert