Apia aims to provide quality health care to individuals with a lot of experience in life. It only offers three mid-level hospital plans, but these are designed to cover what older Australians need without weighing them down with unnecessary services. In order to comply with the government's health insurance reforms, Apia now offers three different silver tier hospital plans tailored to suit its customers.
Top takeaways for Apia health insurance:
- Good for seniors. Apia keeps premiums down by not offering cover for treatments you won't need, such as assisted reproductive services and pregnancy and birth support.
- Good for customisable extras. Essential and Classics Extras keep premiums low by covering only a basic spread of services. Other extras you might need can be added on for an increase in premium.
- Extras can be expensive. Apia's Premium Extras is roughly $25 a week, which is more expensive than other extras with similar benefits and coverage.
You can combine hospital and extras cover with Apia to suit your needs. Here's a summary of your health insurance options.
- Silver Hospital. This comes with 29 claimable services and cover for the likes of heart and vascular system, back, neck and spine, implantation of hearing devices, lung and chest, blood, dental surgery and more
- Silver Hospital Plus. This includes everything covered in Silver Hospital as well as cataracts and joint replacements.
- Silver Premium Hospital Plus. Another upgraded version of the Silver plan, this also covers dialysis for chronic kidney failure, weight loss surgery, pain management with device, insulin pumps and sleep studies. In total, Silver Premium Hospital Plus plan comes with 36 claimable services.
These can be purchased separately, or combined with one of the two hospital covers above.
- Essential Extras. Provides a 60% benefit for a small range of services, including general and major dental treatment, optical appliances, and physiotherapy. No annual limit on preventative dental work. Additional extras, including pharmaceuticals, hearing aids and more, can be added on for a higher premium.
- Classic Extras. This also comes with 60% back on 6 claimable services but has higher annual limits e.g. $1300 for major dental compared to $600 with Essential Extras.
- Premium Extras. The most comprehensive extras policy available with Apia, you'll get 75% back on 22 claimable services, up to your annual limit.
Apia is a member of the Suncorp Group, specialising in insurance for seniors and over 50s. It serves over 700,000 Australians with products tailored towards people with a good deal of experience in living life.
As a member of the Suncorp Group, Apia members have access to Suncorp Rewards, giving them up to 15% savings on eGift cards for everyday items at over 100 retailers.
If you're claiming for a particular health service, you can present your membership card at the time of service and claim your benefit immediately. Otherwise, you can make your claim online by uploading the relevant policy documents on your Apia account, or contact Apia by phone on 13 50 50 or mail at Apia Health Insurance, Locked Bag 2010, Newcastle, NSW, 2300.