The CommBank Mastercard Gift Card was a prepaid card that allowed you to make purchases with retailers all around the world.
No longer offered in the market
This prepaid gift card is no longer available to be purchased with cash or credit. As of 20 March 2013, CommBank Mastercard Gift Cards can only be obtained by redeeming Awards points through the Commonwealth Awards program.
You may wish to compare other prepaid cards here.
The Commonwealth Bank Mastercard Gift Card was a prepaid debit card that could be loaded with funds and used for purchases in-store, online or over-the-phone, wherever Mastercard prepaid debit was accepted (both in Australia and overseas).
What is the CommBank Mastercard Gift Card?
The CommBank Mastercard Gift Card is a prepaid card that allows you to make purchases in stores, online or anywhere else where Mastercard prepaid debit cards are accepted. It was available to purchase up until 20 March 2013. After that, it could be redeemed for Awards points through the CommBank Awards program.
Features of the CommBank Mastercard Gift Card
The CommBank Mastercard Gift Card included the following features:
- Single-load. This card was limited to the value loaded on to it at the time of purchase. It was not reloadable.
- Personal Access Code. This prepaid card came with a Personal Access Code (PAC) for activation and verification of your account.
- Expiry date. All CommBank Mastercard Gift Cards were valid for a period of 12 months from the date of redemption.
- Online balance service. This card allowed you to check your balance online so that you could see how much money was left on the account.
- Security. This card came with CommBank and Mastercard prepaid debit card security features, including chip-and-PIN technology.
- PayPass. Depending on when the gift card was issued, it may have allowed you to make "tap and go" payments using the Mastercard PayPass network.
Alternatives to the Commonwealth Bank Mastercard Gift Card
If you're interested in getting a prepaid card that's similar to the CommBank Mastercard Gift Card, there's a few options you can consider.
- Rewards program gift cards. Most credit card rewards programs, including CommBank Awards, offer a wide range of branded gift cards that you can redeem when you have earned enough points. Popular options include Myer gift cards, David Jones gift cards, Westfield gift cards and iTunes gift cards. Just browse your rewards program catalogue and check the amount of points required to decide if this option will work for you.
- Supermarket gift cards. Both Coles and Woolworths offer a range of gift cards that can be used in different stores around Australia, with some options that you can also use online.
- Travel money cards. These cards usually allow you to load and spend money in multiple currencies. Most of them are Mastercard or Visa options, and can also be used for purchases in Australia. Some even earn rewards, such as the Qantas Cash card and the Velocity Global Wallet, which allows you to earn Velocity Points per $1 you spend in Australia and overseas.
- Other prepaid debit cards. A number providers offer prepaid Mastercard or Visa products that can be used in Australia, overseas and online.
While the Commonwealth Bank Prepaid Mastercard Gift Card is no longer available for purchase with cash or credit, there is a range of other prepaid cards that you can choose from. By considering these options, you should be able to find an option that suits your needs.Back to top