Whether you’re looking for basic liability cover, comprehensive protection for your car, or you have a vintage car you wish to keep safe, SGIC offers a range of policies and additional cover to meet your needs. But what exactly do you get for your premiums? Check out our overview to see what a policy with SGIC can provide.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the SGIC website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
What cover options are there?
- Third party property damage. A no-frills policy providing essential cover for liability of up to $20 million, and up to $5,000 worth of cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured driver.
- Third party fire and theft. Includes the same protection as third party property damage cover, with the added security of fire and theft protection, up to a market value of $10,000.
- Comprehensive. Cover your car for accidental damage, collisions, severe weather events, fire, theft, vandalism, malicious acts or any other event that might keep your wheels off the road. Comprehensive cover also includes any modifications or accessories, such as alloy wheels, and even your custom sound system.
- Comprehensive Plus. As well as all the benefits of comprehensive insurance, Comprehensive Plus includes excess-free windscreen, sunroof and glass cover, and a hire vehicle while your car is being repaired, or until your claim is settled.
- Veteran, Vintage and Classic. Whether you drive a veteran (pre-1919), a vintage (1919-1930) or a classic (15 years or older) vehicle, SGIC provides cover for the car’s agreed value against accidental or malicious damage, collisions, severe weather events, fire, theft and vandalism.
How does each cover type compare?
|Third party property damage||Third party fire and theft||Veteran, Vintage and Classic||Comprehensive||Comprehensive Plus|
|Loss or damage to your car|
|Crash with at-fault driver|
|Baby capsules and child seats|
|Hire car after incident|
|Key and lock repairs|
|New replacement car|
|Tools and equipment|
|Trailer or caravan damage|
|Vehicle pick-up and return|
|Windscreen, sunroof and window glass damage|
What additional cover options are there?
- Hire car. Available with both comprehensive policies, this option provides you with a hire car, to a limit of $65 a day, while your vehicle is being repaired or until your claim is settled, whichever happens first.
- Windscreen. This option is available with both comprehensive policies and covers you for any excess that applies when you make a claim under ‘Windscreen, sunroof and window glass damage’.
What exclusions are there?
It is not possible to claim any damage that happened outside Australia or the policy period. Your claim will be rejected if:
- The driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Your car was being driven by an unlicensed driver, or their licence was suspended
- The damage was intentional or as a result of reckless driving
- Your car exceeded the legal passenger or load limit
- Your car was being used unlawfully or in conjunction with illegal activities
- Your car was used for racing or other motorsports
- The damage was a result of previous damage, faulty repairs, poor workmanship, rust, depreciation or general wear and tear
- Your car was not secured or left in an unsafe location
- Your tyres were damaged by punctures, bursts or braking
- You have otherwise breached your policy conditions, such as providing false information
What excess do I need to pay?
An excess is the amount you contribute towards the cost of your claim. Your Certificate of Insurance will show the types of excess that apply to your policy and how much they cost. You may need to pay more than one excess; for example, if your car was damaged by a storm and the windscreen was also damaged, you would need to claim against severe weather and windscreen damage.
How do I make a claim?
If you are involved in an accident, contact any emergency services required, such as police or ambulance. Collect any information about the incident, such as driver details (full name, address and contact numbers) and vehicle details (make, model, registration and insurance information).
Contact SGIC 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 133 233, or if you have Comprehensive Plus cover, you can call 1300 654 903. You can also lodge your claim online at sgic.com.au.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.