Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Commonwealth Bank car insurance

Choose from 3 levels of cover to keep your wheels protected with car insurance provided through Commonwealth Bank. Plus, get 10% off by buying online.

No reviews yet. Write a review

If you’re looking for car insurance to cover your set of wheels, the Commonwealth Bank might be able to help. It offers three levels of car insurance cover: Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage, Fire and Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Commonwealth Bank website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
Compare car insurance

Each policy offers a unique range of benefits and features to Australian drivers, so let’s take a closer look at the options available.

Policies available through Commonwealth Bank

Commonwealth Bank car insurance offers three levels of cover to suit the needs of a variety of drivers:

  • Comprehensive. This policy is designed for those drivers who want maximum peace of mind when they hit the road. It offers cover for loss or damage caused by collision, fire, storm, theft and vandalism, including new vehicle replacement after a total loss. It also covers theft of keys, towing and storage costs, emergency repairs and trailers and caravans, and $20 million of legal liability cover is also included.
  • Third Party Property Damage, Fire and Theft. This policy provides $20 million of legal liability cover when your vehicle damages another person’s property. It also provides cover for loss or damage caused by fire, theft and attempted theft (including towing and storage costs), as well as $5,000 worth of cover for damage caused by an uninsured motorist.
  • Third Party Property Damage. Third Party Property Damage car insurance offers the most affordable level of cover. It provides legal liability protection when your vehicle causes damage to someone else’s property, as well $5,000 worth of cover when your car is damaged in a collision with an uninsured motorist.

By choosing a policy with Commonwealth Bank, whose policies are underwritten by Hollard, you can save 10% if you apply online (correct as of 11 April 2023).

What does each policy cover?

  • Loss or damage caused by collision, fire, storm, flood, theft and vandalism
  • Replacement of a new vehicle after a total loss
  • Lifetime guarantee on repairs
  • Emergency repairs and accommodation
  • Baby capsules and child seats
  • Theft of keys
  • Accidental death benefit
  • Hire vehicle following theft
  • Optional hire vehicle following an incident
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Option to restrict drivers
  • Flexible excess options
  • $20 million legal liability cover when your car damages someone else’s property
  • Loss or damage caused by fire, theft or attempted theft
  • Towing and storage costs following fire or theft
  • $5,000 cover for uninsured motorist damage
  • Temporary cover for replacement vehicle
  • Lifetime guarantee on repairs
  • 21-day cooling-off period
  • $20 million legal liability cover when your car damages someone else’s property
  • $5,000 cover for uninsured motorist damage
  • 21-day cooling-off period

General exclusions applied

What excess will be charged?

In most cases when you make a claim, you will need to contribute an amount towards the cost of that claim. This is known as the excess. The excesses that may apply to your policy are:

  • Basic excess. This basic excess amount applies to all claims. You can also select a voluntary additional basic excess to lower your premium amount.
  • Optional additional basic excess. To lower your premiums, you can choose to pay an additional basic excess.
  • Age excess. This excess is payable in addition to the basic excess when your vehicle was being driven by someone under 25 years of age.
  • Undeclared young driver excess. This excess applies when your vehicle was being driven by someone under 25 years of age who is not listed on the certificate of insurance.
  • Inexperienced driver excess. This excess applies when your vehicle was being driven by someone 25 years of age or older who has not held an Australian driver’s licence for at least two consecutive years.
  • Imposed excess. There are two types of imposed excesses: an imposed driver excess and imposed vehicle excess. The former applies to a specific declared driver, generally because of their driving history. The latter applies because of the type of vehicle you are insuring, e.g you may own a high-performance vehicle. These imposed excesses may be applicable to you when you insure your vehicle.

Steps to save on your car insurance

There are several simple things you can do to lower the cost of your car insurance premium, including:

  • Choose a higher excess. By choosing to pay a higher voluntary excess, your premium amount will be reduced.
  • Choose a lower level of cover. Third Party Property Damage is much more affordable than a Comprehensive policy.
  • Apply online. If you purchase your Commonwealth Bank car insurance policy online, you can take advantage of a 10% premium discount.
  • Restricting drivers. If you select the “restricted driver” option on your policy, this will lead to cheaper premiums.
  • Drive less. The less you drive your car, the cheaper it is to insure.
  • Don’t add options. If you add extra cover options such as a protected no-claim discount to your policy, this will increase the cost of cover.

How do I claim with Commonwealth bank?

If you need to make a claim, it’s essential that you phone Hollard Insurance as soon as possible with the details of your claim. You have the option to lodge your claim online or over the phone.

Depending on the type of incident and the nature of your claim, you may also need to take further steps, including:

  • Contacting the police, for example, following theft or vandalism
  • Gathering the details of anyone else involved in an accident, including witnesses
  • Taking all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss, damage or liability
  • Not admitting any fault or liability

Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions on Commonwealth Bank car insurance

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

One Response

    PetaAugust 21, 2023Finder

    Hi John,
    Without knowing your full driving history, it’s hard to suggest car insurers that may be a good fit for you. If your previous claims have been due to at fault accidents, then you may find this page helpful: If your previous claims are related to other things, then I’d suggest getting in touch with an insurance broker to see if they can connect you with any specialist providers.
    All the best!

Go to site