CGU Car Insurance – Complete policy review and comparison.
CGU has been offering an extensive range of competitive insurance solutions to Australian families and businesses for more than 160 years. Specialising in personal, commercial and rural insurance, CGU’s products are distributed through a network of more than 1,000 agents and brokers around Australia.
CGU manages roughly 350,000 claims a year and takes care of insurance protection for more than one million motor vehicles. Motor vehicle insurance is essential in Australia - in fact CTP cover is mandatory in all states and territories - to provide financial protection when your vehicle is stolen, damaged or involved in an accident.
Taking out the right car insurance policy for your needs will allow you to drive with confidence and guarantees you won’t take a financial hit if something goes wrong. CGU offers three levels of car insurance cover to Australian customers: Comprehensive Insurance, Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance, and Third Party Property Damage Insurance.
This is the highest level of cover available from CGU. It provides broad protection against loss and damage to your vehicle, as well as any damage you may cause to someone else’s vehicle.
Providing a broad level of coverage, Comprehensive CGU Car Insurance covers your vehicle for:
- Accidental and
- Malicious damage
- $30 million liability
- No Claim Bonus
- New vehicle replacement after a total loss for up to three years
- Hire vehicle costs.
Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance
This policy is designed for customers who own a vehicle that is slightly lower in value. It provides financial protection against fire and theft, as well as any damage you cause to other vehicles.
This is CGU car insurance policy for customers who want more than the basic level of protection but who don’t feel they need the broad coverage offered under a Comprehensive policy. Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance offers cover for:
- Fire and theft to your vehicle
- Damage you cause to someone else’s car
- Nominated driver discount
- Uninsured motorist damage
- Towing and transport of your vehicle
- $30 million of liability cover.
Third Party Property Damage Insurance
The most basic level of cover available from CGU, this policy offers protection when you cause damage to another person’s vehicle.
This CGU Car Insurance is the most basic policy and it is designed to be as affordable and flexible as possible. CGU Third Party Property Damage Insurance covers you for:
- Liability damage to someone else’s vehicle or property
- Uninsured motorist damage
- $30 million of liability cover are the key policy features.
|Benefit||Comprehensive||Third Party Fire & Theft||Third Party Property Damage|
|$30m Liability Cover||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Baby capsules and child seats||Yes||No||No|
|Earned No Claim Bonus Protection||Yes||No||No|
|Emergency or temporary repairs||Yes||Yes||No|
|Hire vehicle costs after theft or attempted theft||Yes||Yes||No|
|Re-coding of locks and barrels after theft of keys||Yes||Yes||No|
|Removal of debris||Yes||Yes||No|
|Replacing your vehicle after a total loss||Yes||No||No|
|Towing and transport of your vehicle||Yes||Yes||No|
|Trailer attached to your vehicle||Yes||No||No|
|Uninsured Motorist Damage||Full cover||Yes||Yes|
|Windscreen Extension Option||Optional||No||No|
There are certain circumstances under which CGU will not pay your car insurance claim, such as if:
- It is for reduction in value of your vehicle due to its age and condition
- It is for the cost of any parts for your vehicle that happen to wear out
- It is for repairing or replacing parts that have failed or broken down
- It is for loss or damage caused by rust or corrosion
- It is for failure of the body or frame of your vehicle, or mechanical or electrical breakdown - unless caused by fire
- It is for tyre damage caused by applying the brakes, punctures, cuts or bursting
- It is for penalties or fines which you incur
- It is for any disease that is transmitted by you, a family member, a nominated driver or a passenger
- It is for liability resulting from any contract or agreement you entered into
- It is for damage to property that belongs to you, a family member who lives with you or an authorised driver
- It is for loss, damage or liability that occurs outside Australia
- It is for loss, damage or liability caused by you, your family member or a nominated driver of the vehicle
- It results from you (or an authorised driver) being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- You did not remain at the scene of an incident for the time you were required to by law
- Your vehicle was being used for an unlawful purpose, for hire, for motor sport or for any purpose other than that for which it was made
- Your vehicle was unsafe to drive and you knew (or should have known) of this fact
- It is a result of war or rebellion.
How much your CGU Car Insurance policy will cost is influenced by a wide range of factors, including:
- The type of policy you choose
- Your level of cover
- Whether you opt to insure your vehicle for its market value or at an agreed value
- The excess you choose
- Any special conditions that apply to your cover
- The value of your vehicle
- The age, make and model of your car
- If there are any modifications or accessories fitted to your car
- The age, driving experience and claims history of the people who drive the vehicle.
You can pay your premium in a lump sum or via instalments.Back to top
When you make a claim under your policy, CGU will let you know whether or not you need to pay an excess. There are four types of excesses that may apply depending on the cover you choose:
- What is a basic excess? This varies depending on your vehicle’s make and model and the state or territory in which it will be used.
- Is there an age excess? You’ll need to pay this excess when the driver of your vehicle is less than 25 years of age.
- Is there an inexperienced driver on your policy? If the driver of the vehicle is 25 years or older but has not held a driver’s licence for two continuous years before making a claim, you’ll need to pay this excess.
- Do you need to pay an additional excess? If CGU has agreed to cover your car, or a driver of your car, under special terms, this excess will apply to your policy.
- Can you choose a lower level of cover? You’ll obviously have to pay less if you don’t want comprehensive protection.
- Have you chosen the right type of policy? CGU Nominated Driver Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy provides cover if your vehicle is only driven by no more than two nominated drivers over the age of 25. A Nominated Driver Low Kilometre Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy can be taken out for cars that will be driven less than 10,000km during the period of insurance and can help you save money.
- Can you drive a different car? An economical and safe small car is going to be cheaper to insure than a high-powered, expensive sports car.
- Is your No-claim bonus in tact? For each year that you do not make an at-fault claim while you are insured with CGU, you will receive a no-claim bonus.
- Do you need those extras? Why pay for extra cover you’re highly unlikely to ever have to use?
If you need to make a claim with CGU, make sure that you have all the information the insurer will need to be able to process your claim. This could include:
- Contact details of anyone involved in the incident, including their name, address, vehicle rego and insurance details
- Any letters, notices or court documents about the incident
- If you’re the victim of theft, vandalism or malicious act, report it to the police and obtain an incident report number.
The next step is to contact CGU or your insurance adviser to make a claim. It’s important to do this as soon as possible - any delay may see your claim reduced or even refused. CGU is available to offer claims advice and assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week.Back to top
Q. Does my policy include cover for a learner driver?
- A. Yes, all CGU policies provide insurance protection for learner drivers.
Q. Does my policy include cover for my windscreen?
- A. CGU’s Comprehensive cover protects your windscreen and windows against accidental damage and collision. You can also take out an optional windscreen cover extension that allows you to make one claim for window damage without having to pay an excess.
Q. How do I apply for cover?
- A. You can apply online through the CGU website or by phoning the insurer.
Q. How can I get a quote for CGU car insurance?
- A. It’s quick and easy to apply for a quote online through the CGU website, or you can phone the insurer on 13 24 81.
I'm ready to compare car insurance policies
CGU Car Insurance products offers a wealth of options worth considering for a variety of car owners. Cover is both flexible and affordable, but it should be compared against other policies on the market before you select one policy for your vehicle.