Greater Bank savings accounts, bank accounts and term deposit.
Quick facts about Greater Bank
- Greater Bank is a member-owned, mutual bank that has been operating for more than 75 years.
- Greater Bank is based in Newcastle, New South Wales
- It started off as a Greater Building Society with a focus on mortgages, and transitioned into Greater Bank in 2016
- Greater Bank has more than 260,000 customers and more than $7 billion in assets under management
Accounts offered by Greater Bank
Greater Bank Access Account
This is a low-fuss everyday account that has no account keeping fees. You can choose between a Visa debit card or Access card for withdrawals and purchases with low fees for your transactions.
Read our full review of the Greater Bank Access Account.
Greater Bank Ultimate Access Account
This account does charge a monthly account keeping fee, however this is waived each month you deposit at least $2,000. If you meet the monthly deposit requirement there will also be no transaction fees.
Read our full review of the Greater Bank Ultimate Access Account.
Greater Bank Bonus Saver
This bonus saver accounts lets you earn a higher interest rate on your savings by making one deposit into the account each month and no withdrawals.
Read our full review of the Greater Bank Bonus Saver Account.
Greater Bank Life Saver
A Life Saver account can be opened by anyone under the age of 25. It pays a competitive interest rate on your savings each month that you grow your balance by any amount. You can keep the account once you're older than 25, but you need to be under 25 to open it in the first place.
Read our full review of the Greater Bank Life Saver Account.
Greater Bank Term deposit
You can open a term deposit with Greater Bank with as little as a $1,000 investment. Your money will be locked away for the length of the term you choose, which range from one month to five years, with a fixed interest rate. You can also choose to have monthly interest payments made directly to you, adding a little more to your income.
Read our full review of the Greater Bank Term Deposit.
Different ways to bank with Greater Bank
Greater Bank offers many different ways to do your banking.
Greater Bank bank branches
Greater Bank has roughly 50 bank branches spread across NSW and QLD. The large majority are based in the Hunter New England region and the Central Coast, with only 2 in Sydney.
Greater Bank ATM network
Greater Bank has roughly 100 ATMs around NSW and south-east QLD. Customers can also withdraw cash from 10,000 Westpac, CommBank and NAB ATM's for free with their Australian debit card.
If you need to deposit cash into your account and don't have a branch , you can do this at a participating Australia Post shop using Bank@Post. It's free to deposit cash into your account this way.
Greater Bank Internet and mobile banking
Greater Bank Internet Banking can be used 24/7 to monitor your accounts, move money between accounts, pay bills, download recent statements and apply for new Greater Bank products.
The Greater Bank app is free to download and can be used to manage your accounts anywhere at anytime. The app has a 4 star rating in the Google Play store, and a 3.3 star rating on the App Store.
Greater Bank contactless payment options
Greater Bank offers Google Pay and Apple Pay to customers with a Greater Bank debit card.
Pros and cons of banking with Greater Bank
- Avoid account keeping fees. There are no account keeping fees on the Access account, and the fee can also be waived on the Ultimate Access Account if you meet the conditions.
- ATMs and branches. Greater Bank still offers more than 100 branches and ATMs for customers in NSW and south-east QLD.
- Variety of accounts. Greater Bank offers more than just the one transaction account, so you can choose which is right for you.
- Savings rates. The Life Saver account often offers a competitive savings rate compared to others in the market.
- Not Australia-wide. Greater Bank has no branches or ATMs outside of NSW and QLD, and some accounts require you to be based in these states.
- Monthly deposit condition. There is a large monthly deposit condition to meet with the Ultimate Access Account in order to have the fees waived.
How to apply for a Greater Bank account online
You can apply for a new account online in less than 10 minutes. Just make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary documents handy before you start your application.
- You're over 18 years old
- You're an Australian resident for tax purposes
- You have an Australian phone number and residential address
- Personal details like your name, date of birth, residential address, phone number and email address
- ID documents such as your driver's licence, Medicare card, passport or proof-of-age card
More guides on Finder
Greater Bank Access Account
Consider opening a Greater Bank Access Account if you want to access your money easily, at any time.
Greater Bank Life Saver Account
Greater Bank Life Saver Account is ideal for youngsters who want to start saving.
Greater Bank Retirement Plus
Greater Bank Retirement Plus Account offers a competitive interest rate and lets you access your money in different ways.
Greater Bank Term Deposit $5,000 – $49,999
With its low minimum deposit requirement and variety in term options, you can meet savings goals both big and small.
Ask an Expert