Discover how you can fly almost anywhere in Australia courtesy of your American Express credit card.
One of the many perks of having an American Express Platinum card is the free domestic return ticket you’re entitled to each year. Depending on the card, you can take your complimentary flight with either Qantas or Virgin Australia to anywhere from Sydney or Melbourne to Launceston or Brisbane. If you want to save on travel costs and take advantage of the complimentary flights, use this guide to compare the cards that offer complimentary flights, the possible routes you can take and the terms and conditions you'll need to be aware of.
Which cards give me a free flight?
If you have an American Express Velocity Platinum Card, American Express Qantas Ultimate Credit Card or American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card (discontinued), you’re eligible to receive a complimentary domestic return flight every year. This reward flight represents savings of about a few hundred dollars, but some conditions must be met before you can take advantage of the offer.
Compare credit cards with complimentary flights
Depending on the card you hold, there are also restrictions on your flight origin and destination, which we have set out below.
Where can I travel with my American Express complimentary flight?
The available travel routes differ with each card and depending on where you’re flying out from. You can compare the different route options below:
|American Express Qantas Ultimate Credit Card on Qantas flights|
|Origin city||Possible destinations|
|Adelaide||Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Brisbane||Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Melbourne||Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney|
|Perth||Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Sydney||Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne|
|American Express Velocity Platinum Card on Virgin Australia flights|
|Origin city||Possible destinations|
|Adelaide||Brisbane, Canberra, Coolangatta, Melbourne|
|Canberra||Adelaide, Brisbane, Coolangatta, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Hobart||Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Melbourne||Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Coffs Harbour, Coolangatta, Hobart, Launceston, Maroochydore, Mildura, Newcastle, Sydney|
|Perth||Adelaide, Broome, Karratha, Newman, Port Hedland, Sydney|
|Sydney||Adelaide, Albury, Ballina/Byron, Brisbane, Cairns, Canberra, Coffs Harbour, Coolangatta, Hamilton Island, Hervey Bay, Hobart, Launceston, Mackay, Maroochydore, Melbourne, Port Macquarie, Townsville|
How do I redeem my complimentary flight?
You may call AMEX directly using the phone number on the back of your credit card to book your complimentary flight.
Factors to consider before you redeem your free flight
Apart from the standard reserved rights to change any of these terms and conditions, American Express and their partner airlines have a few important conditions that you should be aware of before you redeem your complimentary flight:
- Economy class. The free flight is for an economy class ticket, but you may pay to upgrade your ticket in the usual manner. Baggage in excess of 23kg may attract additional fees on Saver Fare flights.
- No partner airline or codeshare flights. The flights above are strictly provided for by Virgin Australia and Qantas respectively, and you cannot redeem your ticket with a partner airline or codeshare flight.
- Subject to availability. There is no guarantee that the flights you want will be available.
- Ticket holder. You may book your free ticket in another person’s name, except an unaccompanied minor.
- Ticket restrictions. You may not sell, transfer, endorse, refund or exchange your ticket for cash, or combine this offer with any other promotion, discount, negotiated or corporate rate.
- Ticket changes. Any changes made after your initial booking will attract the usual ticket change fees, fare difference and applicable GST.
- Conditions of carriage. Your travel conditions are subject respectively to ‘Virgin Australia Terms and Conditions of Carriage’ and ‘Qantas Conditions of Carriage’, depending on your card and flight carrier.
- Yearly redemption. You are eligible for one free return domestic flight every 365 days, i.e. each membership year and not calendar year. Your flight must be booked before the end of that year, and cannot be carried over to the next.
Complimentary domestic travel insurance cover
As with tickets that are paid in full with your American Express card, redeeming this free flight activates free domestic travel insurance cover for the trip. This insurance is provided for by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited, but note that only primary cardholders are eligible for travel insurance cover—supplementary cardholders are not covered.
Travel insurance benefits include:
- Travel inconvenience cover. Delayed or cancelled flights, luggage delay, etc.
- Medical emergency expenses cover. Repatriation, evacuation, cost of treatment, emergency dental treatment.
- Resumption of journey cover. Cost to resume an interrupted trip due to death, imminent death, serious accident or acute illness of a close relative.
- Baggage, money and documents cover. Damaged, stolen, lost or destroyed personal baggage, money or documents during the trip.
- Travel cancellation cover. Non-refundable deposits, prepaid travel and accommodation costs should you have to cancel the trip for certain reasons.
- Personal liability cover. Damages for injury to persons or accidental loss to property.