American Express cards with free flights
Find out how you can enjoy a return flight in Australia or get credit towards your next travel booking with one of these American Express cards.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Choosing an Amex card that offers a complimentary flight or travel credit can help offset the annual fees that come with these premium options. For example, the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card has a $450 annual fee and offers a $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year.
Whether you’re interested in getting a new Amex card or already have one that offers a flight or travel credit, use this guide to compare your options and find out how you can get the most out of this premium perk.
What's in this guide?
Compare American Express cards with complimentary flights or travel credit
What is the difference between a complimentary flight and a travel credit?
If you get an Amex card with a complimentary flight, you can only use the benefit for eligible domestic or international flights. In comparison, Amex cards that offer a travel credit allow you to put a fixed amount of money towards travel you book through American Express. As well as flights, this includes hotels, car hire or experiences (ie travel tours), which gives you more flexibility in how you use the benefit. Check out our guide for full details and steps to redeem American Express travel credit.
Where can I travel with an American Express complimentary flight?
With the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card, you’ll get $450 towards either a domestic or international booking with Qantas. Put simply, you can use the credit towards any flight with a QF flight number.
What else do I need to know about American Express free flights and travel credit?
American Express and its partner airlines have a few important conditions that you should be aware of before you redeem your complimentary flight, which we've outlined below. It also reserves the right to change any of these terms and conditions.
- Yearly redemption. This travel benefit is available 365 days from the start of your membership year, ie the date you first got your Amex card. Your flight must be booked before the end of that year, and cannot be carried over to the next.
- Account status. You must have an active American Express account and have paid your annual fee before redeeming the flight or travel benefit. You also need to pay at least the minimum amount listed on each statement by the due date.
- Subject to availability. There is no guarantee that the flight or travel booking you want to make will be available.
- Bookings of a lower value. If your booking is worth less than the value of the Qantas Credit or Travel Credit offered on your card, you will forfeit the difference. For example, if you used the $450 Qantas Travel Credit to book flights worth $300, you wouldn’t get any value from the remaining $150 Qantas Travel Credit.
- Cancellations. If you cancel your booking, you won’t get money back from the portion of your booking that’s made with the flight benefit or Travel Credit.
- Ticket or booking changes. Any changes made after your initial booking will attract the airline or company’s usual fees, fare differences and applicable GST. Read through the terms and conditions of your booking to find out the potential costs involved.
- Fare class. With the Qantas American Express Ultimate, you can use the $450 flight credit to book in any fare class you like, from economy through to business or first class.
- Ticket restrictions. You may not sell, transfer, endorse, refund or exchange your ticket for cash, or combine this offer with any other promotion, discount, negotiated or corporate rate. You cannot redeem your ticket with a partner airline or codeshare flight, so make sure the booking has a QF flight number (for Qantas).
- Conditions of carriage. With the free flight benefit, your travel conditions are subject to the the “Qantas Conditions of Carriage”.
American Express credit cards with complimentary flights or travel credit give you a simple way to balance out the annual fee, while also enjoying premium travel benefits and rewards. Just make sure you keep the terms and conditions in mind, so that you always get as much value as possible from this perk. If you’re still choosing a card, you can also compare these Amex options with other credit cards that offer flights or travel credit to help you find the right one for you.
Images: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Expense claim policy templates (Australia)
Find out how you can easily set up an expensive claims policy for your company.
Where to order El Jannah delivery
Craving El Jannah's famous chicken at home? Find out which delivery services are available and how to score free delivery.
Nelson Bay hotels | Where to stay in Port Stephens’ largest town
Compare Nelson Bay hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Citi Rewards Card – Exclusive Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this exclusive Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Health Professionals Bank Credit Card
Get an introductory rate of 7.9% p.a. on purchases and balance transfers for 6 months and save with an ongoing $0 annual fee with the Health Professionals Bank Credit Card.
Albany hotels | Where to stay on Western Australia’s south coast
Compare Albany hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Cradle Mountain hotels | Where to stay in the central highlands of Tasmania
Compare Cradle Mountain hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Ballarat hotels | Where to stay in Victoria’s central highlands
Compare Ballarat hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay
Bendigo hotels | Where to stay in the Ceramic Centre of Victoria
Compare Bendigo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Newcastle hotels | Where to stay in the NSW coastal city
Compare Newcastle hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.