Health fund deals for March 2017
Looking to snag a better deal when you switch funds? See what is on offer before the 1 April price rise.
Are you thinking about switching health funds before rates rise on 1 April 2017? If you are but are unsure of which fund is right for you, perhaps one of these offers may sweeten the deal.
Every year, in a bid to win new customers, health funds release a range of health insurance deals and discounts around the health insurance premium increase. This year gift cards seem to be a popular bonus, with funds offering various gift cards ranging from $50-$200 to new members who join before the end of March.
Other funds are offering waiting periods waivers, so you'll get coverage sooner.
As it is only the first day of March, some funds have not released their bonus offers yet. We will update the table as new offers come in.
|Fund||March 2017 deals|
- The offer: Earn up 70,000 Flybuys points, one month free cover and have 2 and 6 month extras waiting periods waived
- Conditions: New members who join and commence an eligible hospital and extras package from 1 - 30 March 2017 will have the 2 and 6 month extras waiting periods waived. Check ahm website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: $100 Visa gift card for singles, $200 gift card for couples and families. Extras waiting period waiver – 2 months and 6 months for optical
- Conditions: Offer available to new members who join Australian Unity between 1 March and 31 March 2017. The offer is available when hospital cover is purchased with extras cover. Not available on Overseas Visitors Cover or for Extras only cover. Waiting periods apply to wisdom teeth extractions, periodontics and endodontics. Check the Australian Unity website for full terms and conditions.
|CBHS (Restricted fund)|
- The offer: Get a gift card worth $100/$200 to a selection of retailers and a waiver on 2 and 6 month waiting periods
- Conditions: Offer available to eligible new members who join CBHS before 31 March 2017. Check the CBHS website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: Get 6 weeks free cover
- Conditions: Join GMHBA on any combined hospital and extras cover or package during March 2017 and get 6 weeks free. You must be a new member to GMHBA, pay via direct debit (account or credit card) and pay for a minimum of one month. Check the GMBHA website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: Get a bonus $50 cash card
- Conditions: Can only be redeemed by new customers who join online via the HIF website or over the phone. Must use promocode HIF50. Not available through partner sites. Check the HIF website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: Get one month free plus 2 and 6 month waiting periods waived on extras
- Conditions: Offer available to new members on new memberships who take out combined Hospital and Extras cover by 31 March 2017. Check the Medibank website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: Choose a $150 eGift Card
- Conditions: The offer is only available to new members who purchase of an nib combined Hospital and Extras Australian policy. Check the nib website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: Score a $100 gift card
- Conditions: Available for new members who join one of a hospital or combination policy. Check the Peoplecare website for full terms and conditions.
- The offer: One month free and 2 month periods waived on all extras benefits
- Conditions: Available for new members who take out a combination policy before 30 April 2017. Check the Westfund website for full terms and conditions.
While not a deal specific to the rate hike period, Railway and Transport Health Fund is offering new members who join between 1 February 2017 and 30 April 2017 the chance to win an Apple iWatch.
Remember, just because a fund isn't actively advertising a deal, it doesn't mean you can save on cover. In preparation for this article I spoke with a sales representative for one of the bigger funds via online chat and was given a choice of $100 vouchers for either the fund's optical partnership, New Balance or Spa and Wellness. It never hurts to ask.
Want to save even more? If you're planning on paying your premiums upfront for the next year to lock your rate in before the premium increases come into effect on 1 April, why not look for a fund that offers annual payment discounts. We recently broke down the list of funds that offer discounts of between 2% and 4% discounts for members paying their premiums upfront.
Latest health insurance headlines