World Nomad Travel Insurance Review
What initially started off as a personal travel website to share the escapades and adventures of a person who loved travelling around the world, has gone on to become one of the leading travel insurance providers across the globe. WorldNomads was created some years ago in 1997 by Simon Monk, with an aim to providing a platform to fellow travellers to share their travelogues and adventure stories with others who loved to see the world. In a matter of a few years, starting in the year 2002, it went on to become a company that offered unique travel insurance solutions that would help travellers to be safe while they were on the road.
Today, WorldNomads offers great travel insurance policies to people across the globe. People from more than 150 countries, including Australia, have opted for and benefitted from the Nomad Travel Insurance plans over the years. Whether it is high level of medical expenses cover, 24 emergency services, or even cover for different kinds of adventure activities that you need – Nomad travel insurance can provide you with all that and more.
Who Underwrites Nomad Travel Insurance?
WorldNomads.com Pty Limited is an Authorised Representative of Cerberus Special Risks Pty Limited, and markets and distributes insurance products of Bupa Denmark (Bupa Global Travel), branch of Bupa Insurance Limited. World Nomads Limited Company is an Appointed Representative of Millstream Underwriting Limited. World Nomads (Canada) Ltd is a licensed agent for AIG Insurance Company of Canada. World Nomads, Inc., in CA dba World Nomads Travel Insurance Services, provides Insurance underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies, Columbus, OH.
- Nomad Travel Insurance Australia Policies
- WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance Policy Benefits
- WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance Extra Features
- World Nomad Travel Insurance Policy Components
- World Nomads Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
- How much does WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance Cost?
- Nomad Travel Insurance Claim
- Why Choose Nomad Travel Insurance
- Steps to Apply for World Nomad Travel Insurance
Nomad Travel Insurance Australia Policies
WorldNomads.com offers two travel polices—a Standard Plan and an Explorer Plan—each with its own benefits and limits. Cover is available to Australian residents no older than 69 years of age. You can buy this cover if you intend to travel overseas, no matter whether you’re:
- At home in Australia
- Temporarily travelling, working or living overseas
- On a one-way ticket and have no concrete travel plans in place
- Planning to participate in adventure sports and activities, going on a working holiday, or planning to study or volunteer
However cover is not available if you:
- Intend to reside overseas at a permanent residence for more than two years
- Are 70 years of age when you choose to purchase or extend your policy
- Do not wish to return to Australia but are eligible for medical repatriation
- Are already covered under your private health insurance
- The Standard Plan: offers a no-frills version of travel cover. It includes cover for overseas medical expenses caused by sudden serious illness or injury, emergency medical transportation and repatriation, trip cancellation and interruption expenses, and personal liability. This plan also features cover for damaged or stolen luggage and personal items, including items like tablets, mobile phones and cameras. In addition, cover for low-risk adventure sports and activities, as well as non-manual work, study and volunteer experiences, is automatically included in the Standard Plan.
- The Explorer Plan: Boasts all the features of the Standard Plan but with higher limits and more benefits and inclusions. For example, while the single Standard Plan provides up to $5 million worth of cover for overseas medical expenses, the Explorer Plan provides unlimited cover and will also pay for things like alternative therapies and out-of-pocket expenses in hospital.
See how the two compare in the table below:
|Emergency Overseas Medical Treatment||A$5,000,000||Unlimited|
|Emergency Dental Treatment||A$500||A$500|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||A$5,000,000||Unlimited|
|Trip Cancellation Cover||A$3,500||Unlimited|
|Theft/Damage of Expensive Equipment||$2,000||$10,000|
|Hospital Cash Allowance||N.A||$3,500|
|Counselling Following Assault||N.A||A$250|
|Luggage Delay Allowance||A$300||A$450|
|Car Rental Excess Cover||N.A||A$3,000|
What am I Covered for With World Nomads?
- Emergency medical and dental expenses overseas. If you are injured or become sick while travelling overseas, your WorldNomads.com policy will cover your medical and dental expenses.
- Medical evacuation and repatriation. If you suffer a sudden illness or serious injury during your trip and need to be transported to a medical facility for treatment, your policy will pay for the expense of that transport. Cover is also provided if you are unfit to continue travelling and need to be repatriated back to Australia.
- Cancellation and trip interruption. This benefit covers you when unexpected events, such as loss of job or illness, force you to cancel your trip. WorldNomads.com will pay your non-refundable trip expenses, and also offers cover if events outside your control cause your trip to be interrupted or delayed. This includes covering the cost of rearranging your trip, as well as paying for any extra travel and accommodation costs that may arise.
- Your belongings. If your baggage and personal items are stolen or accidentally damaged during your trip, WorldNomads.com will help cover their replacement costs. In addition, if your luggage is delayed and you’re forced to by essential items like underwear and a toothbrush, your policy will also help pay those expenses.
- Personal liability. WorldNomads.com insurance plans cover damages and compensation if your negligence during your trip overseas results in injury or damage to the property of a third party.
- Rental vehicles. Only available on the Explorer Plan, this feature will pay your rental vehicle insurance excess if you’re in an accident or the vehicle is stolen or damaged.
- Personal accident. Exclusive to the Explorer Plan, this feature includes a benefit payment for death and total and permanent disablement.
- Adventure, work, study and volunteer. You're automatically covered to participate in 125 adventure sports, activities and experiences while you travel, work, study or volunteer overseas.
WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance Extra Features
Extra features are available to help you tailor your WorldNomads.com travel insurance policy to your specific needs.
- Extra cover for expensive items: While cover is already included for baggage and personal items, you can upgrade your policy to include cover for high-value baggage and items (excluding jewellery). You can specify these items on your Certificate of Insurance and pay an extra premium, and this optional upgrade increases the cover up to $3000 for each specified item. If you’re travelling with a brand-new and expensive laptop, for example, this optional upgrade can definitely be worthwhile.
- Extra cover for high risk adventure sports and activities: Another option is to upgrade your cover for things like adventure sports and volunteer work. As mentioned above, you’re automatically covered to participate in 125 adventure sports, activities and experiences while you travel, work, study or volunteer overseas. If you’re willing to pay an extra premium, however, you can upgrade to cover for some 230 sports, activities and experiences.
This includes cover for things like abseiling, caving, horse riding and rock climbing.
World Nomad Travel Insurance Policy Components
- The excess charged in a claim. You will be required to contribute a $100 policy excess towards all of the expenses arising from any one claim, depending on the benefit involved. In applicable cases, the excess will be deducted from your claim before WorldNomads.com pays your benefit.
- Waiting periods before benefit is paid. There are two types of waiting periods on WorldNomads.com travel insurance policies. Once cover is activated, a 12- or 48-hour waiting period applies to certain benefits before that benefit becomes payable, such as the daily cash allowance for out-of-pocket expenses while in hospital overseas. The second type of waiting period applies if you buy a policy while travelling overseas—in this case you have to wait 72 hours before cover is started.
- When the policy starts and finish. Your policy is only valid once you’ve paid the premium and WorldNomads.com issues a Certificate of Insurance. Coverage is activated depending on where you are when you buy the policy (there is a 72-hour period if you purchase the policy while overseas), the date you buy it, the date you choose the cover to start, the date your journey actually begins and the duration of cover you select. Cover ends on the end date shown on your Certificate of Insurance or when you return home at the end of your trip, whichever happens first.
- Extending your policy. If you extend your trip, you can buy more cover before 11.59pm AEST/AEDT on the end date shown on your Certificate of Insurance. However, a handful of terms and conditions do apply: you need to be younger than 69 years, you must not have made a claim during your original policy period, your health status must be unchanged, the same plan as your original policy must still be available, and you cannot intend to live overseas permanently for more than two years.
- Finishing your policy early. If you decide to end your trip early, you will not be reimbursed for any portion of your unused policy.
World Nomads Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
WorldNomads.com provides cover for unforeseen medical events, so not all pre-existing medical conditions will be covered under your policy. The definition of pre-existing medical conditions includes a range of medical and dental conditions of which you are aware, which have been investigated and/or treated by a health professional, or any condition for which you have had surgery or for which you take prescribed medicine. As a result, many pre-existing conditions such as cancer, arthritis and depression are excluded from your policy.
But some pre-existing conditions are automatically covered by WorldNomads.com, as long as you haven't been hospitalised (including day surgery) or attended an emergency department in the past 24 months for that condition. These conditions include;
- Some allergies
- Asthma in people under 60 years of age
- Diabetes (terms and conditions apply)
- Gastric reflux
- Epilepsy and migraines
Cover is also available for pregnant women, but terms and conditions do apply. Read the PDS and speak to an insurance adviser to determine how the policy applies to you.
How much does WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance Cost?
A number of factors can influence how much your insurance will cost, including:
- The plan you choose. More comprehensive cover will obviously set you back more than basic cover
- Where you’re travelling. Travel to some destinations comes with an increased level of risk
- The duration of your policy
- The number of people covered
- Any options and upgrades you choose to add to your policy
Nomad Travel Insurance Claim
It is always beneficial to get an idea of the insurers claim process prior to travel. Below is a description of the steps to take if you need to make a claim on your World Nomad policy;
- Once any emergency has been dealt with, you may need to submit a claim on your return. Cerberus Special Risks acts on behalf of WorldNomads.com to manage your claim.
- Written notice of a claim needs to be given to Cerberus. This can be done by signing in to your WorldNomads.com membership and submitting your claim online, or by requesting a claim form from WorldNomads.com. Written notice needs to be sent to Cerberus within 30 days of your return.
- You must co-operate fully and answer all queries on the claim form completely and truthfully.
- You need to provide all the supporting evidence necessary to prove the circumstances of the event and the amount of your claim. This may include medical receipts and reports, police reports, original receipts, repair quotes, proof of ownership and travel itineraries. If you’re unable to provide the information needed to substantiate your claim, the claim may be reduced or refused.
Why Choose Nomad Travel Insurance
- Buying travel insurance is a vital expense when planning any holiday: The list of problems that can arise while you’re travelling goes on and on—lost luggage, delayed flights, stolen wallets, unexpected illness and plenty more—so it makes sense to have insurance cover in place to take away the financial and emotional stress when disaster strikes.
- Backed by world leading insurance groups: There are plenty of reasons why you should take out travel cover with WorldNomads.com. For starters, the company is backed by secure, reliable specialist insurance companies including certain underwriters at Lloyd's and IHI Bupa International. As a result, WorldNomads offers great and affordable cover, premium 24/7 emergency assistance and top-quality customer support and claims management.
- Worldwide cover: Providing cover for travellers from more than 140 countries, WorldNomads also offers a range of flexible features, such as cover for a number of adventure activities, to help you find a policy that suits your specific needs.
- Giving back: WorldNomads.com also has a strong commitment to giving back to communities where we travel around the world, so it created an online philanthropy project called the Footprints Network. When you purchase a WorldNomads.com, you can choose one of the many humanitarian projects it sponsors around the world and make a small donation. It’s a great initiative that has changed the lives of many in all four corners of the globe.
- Cover for a number of adventure activities: World Nomad prides itself on providing affordable insurance with cover for a whole range of different activities. With this type of travel insurance, you can get adequate cover for different types of adventure activities such as bungee jumping, parasailing, white water rafting, sky diving, trekking, and even skiing. Therefore, if you are a traveller who loves to participate in such activities during your world travels, you can rest assured that you will have suitable protection for such activities.
- Highly flexible travel insurance plans: One of the biggest disadvantages that travellers face is that they cannot extend their policies easily once they are on the road. Also, buying a travel insurance policy after leaving home is not that easy as not many providers offer such policies. This is another area in which Nomad travel insurance can be quite valuable. Not only do you have the option of extending your travel policy regardless of where you are travelling to, but you can also choose to opt for a travel policy once you have already set off on your travels. This kind of flexibility can be extremely valuable to travellers as travelling is an activity that can be quite spontaneous in nature. Being able to choose a travel insurance plan at any time during your travels and also having the option to extend a travel policy that is nearing its expiry, is an immense benefit.
- Extremely competitive prices: With Nomad travel insurance, you have the option of customising your policy to suit your individual needs. Therefore, if you do not need certain types of events covered, you can simply opt out of them and choose only those that are most important to you. Not only does this help you to purchase a travel insurance plan that is perfectly suited to your needs, but it also helps you to cut down on travel insurance costs.
- Access to numerous travel guides and travel blogs: When you opt for Nomad travel insurance plans, you get access to numerous travel guides that can help you by providing valuable information about various destinations. You can look up these travel guides and blogs to find out what to do in a particular country and which sights to visit. You can also look up information about sensitive areas in different cities that you should avoid to help keep yourself protected during your travels.
Apply for World Nomad Travel Insurance
If you are interested in applying for one of the insurance policies on offer from Nomad Travel Insurance, you can compare policies and apply for cover entirely on the World Nomad Travel Cover website. Once you have reviewed the product disclosure statement and are satisfied with the cover provided, it takes as little as 12 minutes to complete the secure transaction and get your cover in place.