Heading to Vietnam? Compare Vietnam travel insurance from 20+ brands.
From indulging in savoury street foods to cruising around Halong Bay, don't let the worry of food poisoning, missing your cruise or sunstroke get in the way of your dream holiday to Vietnam - get travel insurance and enjoy your trip worry-free.
Get quotes for Vietnam travel insurance in 10 seconds
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
*Quote of $2 per day is based on a 30-year-old traveller going to Vietnam for 15 days and getting a basic travel insurance policy on 30 August 2018.
Latest Smartraveller Vietnam update
Exercise normal safety precautions
7 February 2019 | Read more
What can I find on this page?
Vietnam is a relatively safe country, with many Australians receiving a warm reception from locals. However, there are several minor safety concerns that travellers should be aware of. With a bit of planning, precaution and common sense, your trip to the country can be smooth and incident-free.
- Theft. One of the major safety concerns for all foreigners is petty theft. Pick-pockets and other petty thieves target tourists on the streets. To ensure you are not a victim, always exercise caution while walking on the streets and keep your jewellery, cash and valuable documents well hidden. Wearing flashy jewelry or carrying a bag with you could be unsafe especially in overcrowded streets. Be sure to lock your belongings in a safe or to always lock your hotel room to avoid getting robbed.
- Pushy merchants. Be on the lookout for aggressive vendors. Although they pose little threat (they are just trying to sell you chewing gum fruit or other commodities), some travellers find this practice intrusive.
- Scams. Scams are quite uncommon, though it helps to be sharp and attentive to your surroundings to avoid being ripped off.
Other than those few security concerns, the country is a safe destination, and you can have a lot of fun visiting and experiencing the many sites Vietnam has to offer.
Safety tips for Vietnam
Be aware of these travel insurance exclusions when travelling to Vietnam:
- You leave your belongings unattended in a public place e.g. you get leave your belongings inside your car in Hanoi.
- It results from you being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, except those prescribed by your medical practitioner.
- You visit an Australian Government has issued a travel advisory warning against visiting.
- You do not comply with local laws, regulations or road rules e.g Vietnam has different laws to Australia, much more similar to Thailand.
Ask yourself these six questions to best compare travel insurance for VietnamBack to top
Why do I need travel insurance for Vietnam?
If you are travelling to Vietnam, remember to exercise normal safety precautions with regards to your belongings and be careful not to be caught up in scams, traffic accidents or petty theft of your cash and belongings. However, no matter how careful you are there is always the possibility that something could go wrong, which is why it helps to take out travel insurance for Vietnam. Travel insurance for Vietnam generally covers you for the following:
- Missed, cancelled or delayed flights
- Medical emergencies e.g. injuries, accidents and illnesses
- Loss or damage of your belongings or gearPersonal LiabilityLoss of cash.
Different travel insurance policies will offer you different covers and benefits, so it is important to shop around for one that provides you the specific protection you need based on your situation. Below are some of the common situations that will be covered by travel insurance for Vietnam:
- Overseas Medical cover. Should you get injured or seriously ill while away, your travel insurance for Vietnam will cover the costs of your medical care including hospitalisation, medication, ambulance fees and guarantees of payments in emergency situations.
- Travel Delays. Missed or cancelled flights can wreak havoc with your travel plans and raise your travel expenses significantly. With travel insurance Vietnam, you will be covered for delays in your flight schedule, and compensated for delays that are more than 12 hours. Travel delay cover also protects you from flight interruptions, missed flight connections and cancelled pre-booked tours and flights.
- Luggage and Personal Item cover. This covers you for the loss, damage or theft of all your personal belongings, cash and gear while on your travels.
- Rental Vehicle Excess. This cover compensates you for any excess charges on your rental car following a crash, theft of the rental car or damage to the car.
- Personal Liability Cover. This caters for all legal fees in case of any claims against you following damage to property or personal injury to any individual.
- Hospital Cash Cover. Travel insurance Vietnam covers you for hospitalisation costs should you require to remain admitted in hospital while in Vietnam. The policy provides a daily cash allowance to cover your accommodation costs for a specified duration of time.
- Credit Card Loss and Fraud. Covers you for the loss of your credit card while overseas, taking care of card replacement costs and compensating you for all loss caused by fraudulent transactions on your credit card account.
Enquire About Travel Insurance Vietnam
Every year, hundreds of Australians run into trouble while travelling overseas. Many things could go wrong on an overseas trip including the loss of valuables, medical emergencies and travel delays, which is why you cannot afford to travel without taking up travel insurance.
Travel insurance Vietnam can help save you money while on your Asian getaway, and protect you from costs associated with:
- Medical expenses for injury or illness.
- Baggage delay, damage or theft.
- Travel delays including cancelled or interrupted flights.