Travel insurance: Vietnam
The best, the cheap and stuff about motorcycles. We've got you covered for travel insurance for Vietnam.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
What else is on this page?
Best travel insurance for Vietnam
While the best travel insurance to Vietnam will depend on each individual and what they are looking for, it's safe to say that the more comprehensive options provide you with better cover. The top 3 comprehensive options on Finder are listed below. This quote is based on a 3 week trip to Vietnam with a $200 excess for a 30 year old, priced on 12th June 2019.
|Fast Cover Comprehensive||Zoom Travel Insurance Comprehensive||1Cover Comprehensive|
|Emergency medical cover||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Luggage and personal effects||$10,000||$7,500||$15,000|
|Theft of cash||$250||$250||$250|
Nevertheless, there are some features you may want to have when looking for travel insurance for Vietnam.
- Unlimited medical cover: It's really important that you get cover you can rely on as illnesses like gastro are common. Further to that, no one ever plans on getting seriously injured while on their trip, extended hospital stays can suck you dry - but not with unlimited medical cover!
- Luggage and personal effects: Petty crimes such as pickpocketing and theft are common in Vietnam. Safeguarding your belongings is important even if you secure your laptop in a locker at a hostel, thieves can still break into it. The best policies can cover you for this.
- Sports/Adventure activities: Whether you're hiking in Sapa or cycling through the countryside, Vietnam is a great place to explore. The best policies include sports and adventure activities or offer it as an add-on at least.
- Travel delays: Vietnam has so many places worth seeing which is why internal travel is so popular. If you're strapped for time you might even end up flying to Da Nang or Hue. These smaller airlines are notorious for schedule changes and delays which could seriously disrupt your trip and cost you loads, this is why you want an increased allowance for alternative travel expenses and travel delays.
Cheap travel insurance for Vietnam
If you're on the lookout for the cheapest travel insurance for Vietnam, it's likely that you will be covered for medical only and possibly some other limited benefits at best. While this might be all you are looking for, it's best not to base your decision solely on price. We've found 3 of the cheapest policies from our partners so you can see their benefits versus costs. This quote is based on a 3 week trip to Vietnam with a $200 excess for a 30 year old, priced on 12th June 2019.
|Insure4less Medical Only||Tick Travel Insurance Basic||Insure4less Essentials|
|Emergency medical cover||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Luggage and personal effects||x||$2,000||$2,500|
|Theft of cash||x||x||x|
While you may be after the cheapest policy, it's good to know that a more comprehensive option is generally not that much more expensive. From the table above you'll notice that the Essentials policy by Insure4less is only $3.32 more expensive than Tick's Basic policy - that's only 16 cents more per day for a more inclusive policy.
Travel insurance and motorcycles in Vietnam
Riding motorcycles and mopeds (scooters) in Vietnam is very popular amongst tourists but it's also very risky. You need to hold a Vietnamese licence if you ride a moped with an engine size greater than 50cc. Tourists are not eligible for this licence so if you get caught in an accident riding a moped without the right permits, your policy could be void.
Nevertheless, you can still ride as a pillion and be covered automatically by some insurers as long as the rider holds valid a permit to ride, wears a helmet and is not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Many tourists travel the Hai Van Pass, a stunning 20-kilometre strip of road that joins the city of Da Nang and Lang Co in Hue Province. While this is undoubtedly an incredible road for motorcyclists to enjoy, it can be very dangerous, partly because it is 500 metres above sea level. If you do plan on travelling this route, make sure you purchase the right policy that includes motorcycle/moped riding.
Is travelling around Vietnam safe?
Vietnam is a relatively safe country, with many Australians receiving a warm reception from locals. However, there are several minor safety concerns that travellers should be aware of. With a bit of planning, precaution and common sense, your trip to the country can be smooth and incident-free.
- Theft. One of the major safety concerns for all foreigners is petty theft. Pick-pockets and other petty thieves target tourists on the streets. To ensure you are not a victim, always exercise caution while walking on the streets and keep your jewellery, cash and valuable documents well hidden. Wearing flashy jewelry or carrying a bag with you could be unsafe especially in overcrowded streets. Be sure to lock your belongings in a safe or to always lock your hotel room to avoid getting robbed.
- Pushy merchants. Be on the lookout for aggressive vendors. Although they pose little threat (they are just trying to sell you chewing gum fruit or other commodities) some travellers find this practice intrusive.
- Scams. Scams are quite uncommon, though it helps to be sharp and attentive to your surroundings to avoid being ripped off.
- Do not travel zones. Many travellers visiting Vietnam also go to Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar at the same time. If this is the case, be aware that there are 'do not travel' zones in specific areas due to various safety concerns. Travelling within these areas could void your policy.
Compare your travel insurance quotes for Vietnam
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Any more questions?
Ask an Expert