With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Home insurance for water damage

Water damage home insurance covers burst pipes, storms and leaking roofs. Compare 20+ options and use the filters to find a policy that works for you.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

1 - 7 of 30
Name Product Is there cover for water damage? Flood Storm Accidental Damage Online Discount
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Get a 20% discount on your contents insurance if you have a car insurance policy with Youi. Excludes NSW & SA CTP green slips. T&Cs apply.
Bendigo Bank Home & Contents Insurance
Buy a new home or landlord insurance policy by 30 June 2022 and you’ll go into a draw to win $10,000. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Honey Home & Contents Insurance
Sign up and get free smart sensors (worth $250) to install around the home for accident prevention. T&Cs apply.
Woolworths Comprehensive Building and Contents
Save up to 20% when you buy a Woolworths Home and Contents insurance policy online. Plus, Everyday Rewards Members will save 10% on their monthly shop. T&Cs apply.

Compare up to 4 providers

What kind of water damage is covered by home insurance?

Home insurance for water damage is usually split into three separate types of cover:

Flood cover is often an optional extra you may need to pay extra for – so if you live in a flood-prone area, be sure to check you're covered. Below is a table of some insurers that include water damage cover for all three services.

FloodStorms and rainwaterEscape of liquid
Coles car insurance

Coles Home & Contents Insurance

Youi logo

Youi Building and Contents Insurance

Westpac Travel Insurance Logo

Westpac Home and Contents Insurance

St george home insurance

St. George Home and Contents

real insurance

Real Top Home and Contents Insurance

How to make a water leak insurance claim in Australia

To file a successful claim for water damage through your home insurance, follow these steps:


Contact your home insurance provider as soon as there is damage.


Give them as much information as possible. Document the value of all the items you can think of that have been damaged and take as many photos as possible.


If possible, make an effort to control the leak and dry out your home to prevent further damage.


Your insurer will probably send someone to take stock of the damage.


Obtain at least three independent estimates from qualified general contractors to work out how much the damage has cost.


If your claim is approved, your insurer will talk to you about making necessary repairs to your home as well as replacing damaged contents.

What's considered water damage?

Water damage can include sudden or accidental damage as a result of water, most commonly from a burst pipe, water overflow, flood or storm.

Home insurance providers usually only cover you for sudden and accidental damage; that is, water damage that occurred quickly and unexpectedly. Gradual water damage, on the other hand, is usually not covered by most home insurance policies.

Common claims can include the following:

  • Burst taps or pipes, e.g. your kitchen sink pipe bursts suddenly
  • Damage caused by a storm or a flood
  • Broken kitchen or bathroom appliances that cause water damage
  • Sewer backup and overflow

Does home insurance cover leaking pipes?

Yes, home insurance covers leaking pipes if the damage was caused by escaping water that occurred suddenly and without warning.

A burst pipe generally comes under "escape of liquid or water" and can cover you for a sudden and immediate leak (not something gradual that you were well aware of) as a result of the following:

  • Appliances, such as a washing machine, dishwasher etc
  • Fixed items, such as showers, baths, sinks and toilets
  • Fixed systems, such as drainage or sewage systems
  • Water-filled items, such as aquariums and waterbeds

If you don't know where the leak is coming from, some home insurance providers will pay the reasonable costs up to a certain price to locate the source of the problem.

Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.

Does home insurance covers storms

Yes, standard home insurance policies generally cover storms. Storm cover can include damage caused by:

  • Storms
  • Lightning
  • Wind
  • Hail

  • Snow
  • Stormwater overflow from roof gutters and downpipes.
There is one main exception – home insurance doesn't usually cover damage caused by storm surges. This is because it is considered 'an action or movement of the sea', which is excluded by most home insurance providers. Luckily, it's not that common.

Frequently asked questions about water damage

More guides on Finder

    Ask an Expert

    You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

    • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
    • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
    • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
    • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

    Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
    Go to site