Commonwealth Bank Platinum Awards Credit Card
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Awards points and included insurance covers with the CommBank Platinum Awards Card.
You can use the Commonwealth Bank Platinum Awards credit card to earn Award points on your everyday spending. You can redeem your points for gift cards, travel through Flight Centre and merchandise from the Awards website. You can also transfer your Awards points to partnered frequent flyer programs including Qantas and Velocity.
When you apply by 31 October 2019 and spend at least $4,000 on eligible purchases by 31 January 2020, you'll be rewarded with 100,000 bonus Awards points. Cardholders can also take advantage of platinum benefits such as included travel insurance and extended warranty cover.
Per $ spent (Visa/Mastercard)
- 100,000 bonus Awards points offer
- Stay protected with included travel insurance, extended warranty and purchase security insurance covers.
- The variable interest rates on purchases and cash advances are relatively high.
- Points are capped at 150,000 per year.
Amy is an editor and writer at finder.com.au with more than 10 years experience covering credit cards, personal finance and various lifestyle topics. When she’s not sharing her knowledge on money matters, Amy spends her time as an actress.
It currently boasts a 100,000 bonus CommBank Awards Points offer. As well as retail rewards, gift cards and cashback, you can exchange 2 Platinum Awards points for 1 Velocity Point or 2.5 Platinum Awards points for 1 Qantas Point.
How to applyYou can apply for the Commonwealth Bank Platinum Awards card online within 15 minutes and get a response instantly. Before you do, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary information to complete the application:
- New cardholders. To be eligible for the bonus points offer, you cannot hold or have held any CommBank Awards card in the previous 12 months.
- Residency. You must be legally allowed to work in Australia. If you are not a permanent resident or citizen, you will need to provide your visa details.
- Credit history. You must not be currently bankrupt.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a credit card.
- Personal information. Including your full name, current residential address, email address, contact phone numbers and date of birth.
- Details about your income. Aim to provide as much detail as possible about your income, savings and assets such as property or shares.
- Expenses and liabilities. You will need to provide information about any debts you have, as well as ongoing expenses like child support, rent, mortgage repayments or anything else that is considered a regular, essential cost.
- Other credit cards. If you want to transfer a balance to a Commonwealth Bank credit card from your existing non-Commonwealth Bank credit card(s), store card(s) or charge card(s), you will need to provide the account details, including the card number, the amount you want to transfer and the name of the issuing financial institution.
- Bonus points offer. Apply by 31 October 2019 and you will earn 100,000 bonus CommBank Awards points when you spend at least $4,000 on your new card before 31 January 2020. To give you an idea, you can exchange 100,000 Awards points for 50,000 Velocity Points, 40,000 Qantas Points or $450 worth of gift cards (94,500 points). Please note that to receive the bonus points promotion, you cannot hold or have held a CommBank Awards card in the last 12 months.
- Awards program. Earn 1 Awards point per $1 spent on eligible purchases, up to 150,000 points per year. You can also earn uncapped bonus points per $1 spent when you use your Platinum Awards credit card with any Commonwealth Bank bonus partners. As well as shopping, travel and entertainment redemption options, you can transfer CommBank Awards points to Velocity Frequent Flyer (2 Awards Points = 1 Velocity Point), Qantas Frequent Flyer (2.5 Awards Points = 1 Qantas Point) and other airline partners including Etihad Airways and Japan Airlines.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct. If you're a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can opt to earn Qantas Points with this card by enrolling in the Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct program. The points you earn will then be automatically transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership account monthly. There is a $30 annual fee for opting in to this program.
- Included insurance covers. This card offers overseas emergency medical assistance and hospital expenses insurance, cover for travel delays, cancellation cover, personal liability cover and rental vehicle excess cover. You can also get purchase security insurance and extended warranty insurance for eligible purchases made using this card. Eligibility and activation requirements apply.
- Mobile payment compatibility. You can use your eligible smartphone or smartwatch to tap and pay when you link your account with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay. You can also use your fitness tracker to make contactless payments if you link your card with Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay.
- Account control. You can use the CommBank app or the online banking platform to instantly lock, block or limit how you use your card. You can lock international in-store and online payments, block cash advances and set a maximum dollar amount per transaction. Plus, if you've lost your card, you can use the Lock, Block, Limit feature to lock your card temporarily while you look for it.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges an annual fee of $249.
- Purchase rate. The variable 20.24% p.a. interest rate applies to purchases.
- Balance transfer offer. If you're considering transferring a balance from an existing non-CommBank Australian card, this card offers an introductory 5.99% p.a. balance transfer rate for 5 months. The variable cash advance rate of 21.24% p.a. will apply to any balance remaining from the transfer at the end of the introductory period. You won't earn any points on the balance transfer.
- Cash advance rate. This card charges a variable cash advance rate of 21.24% p.a., which applies to transactions such as ATM withdrawals.
- Interest-free days. Get up to 55 interest-free days on purchases when you pay your account's outstanding balance in full by the due date on each statement.
- Additional cards. You can request an additional card for anyone aged over 16 years. If approved, the additional card attracts an annual fee of $10.