Allianz vs NRMA car insurance
Allianz or NRMA comprehensive car insurance? We've looked at the facts to make comparing easier.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We compared Allianz and NRMA's comprehensive car insurance policies so you can see exactly what's included in each.
What are the main differences between Allianz car insurance and NRMA policies?
Here's what differs between the two providers:
- Accidental death benefit. Allianz comprehensive car insurance policy will pay your estate $25,000 if you suffer an injury that results in your accidental death. Few others, including NRMA, doesn't provide this benefit.
- NRMA does not operate in every state. You will likely have to take out a policy with one of NRMA's partners, such as RAVC, if you live in Victoria or the Northern Territory.
- Rental car after theft. Allianz will pay you $100 a day for up to 21 days to go towards a rental car if your vehicle is stolen. NRMA also provides this benefit but it only pays $75 for up to 21 days.
- Emergency repairs. NRMA comes out on top for this one, offering up to $800 towards emergency repairs compared to Allianz's $500 benefit.
- Emergency travel and accommodation costs. If you travel a lot, you might think about this benefit. NRMA does not specify how much cover it provides but does state that it can organise accommodation and a hire car for you or make travel arrangements if you are more than 100km from home. Allianz, on the other hand, provides up to $500 for this service.
- Personal property. If certain items and valuables are accidentally damaged or stolen from your car, NRMA reimburses you for up to $500 and Allianz $500.
How do they compare side by side?
|About the provider||Allianz is a European multinational financial services company and one of Australia's largest insurance providers||The National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) is an Australian organisation offering roadside assistance, car servicing, International Driving Permits, insurance and more in NSW and the ACT|
|Underwriter||Allianz underwrites its own policies||Insurance Australia Limited|
|States served||Australia-wide||New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania, Western and South Australia|
|Products available||Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage, Fire & Theft & Third Party Property Damage||Comprehensive Plus, Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft, Third Party Property Only|
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft||Optional - Up to $100 per day (Max 21 days)||Up to $75 per day (Max 14 days)|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs||$500||Not stated|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement||$1,000||$1,000|
|Trailer and caravan cover||$1,000||$1,000|
|No claim discount|
|More info||More info|
What are the benefits of Allianz and NRMA policies?
- Allianz and NRMA provide several reasons to buy a policy with them. Some of these benefits include:
- Protects your tools. You can add "tools of trade" cover with both policies. Ideal for tradespeople, this covers your tools if they are stolen from your vehicle for up to $1,500 with NRMA and $3,000 with Allianz.
- Keys replacement. Allianz and NRMA will cover you for up to $1,000 to replace or re-code your vehicle's keys.
- No claim discount. With NRMA, you may get a no claim bonus of between 0% and 60% depending on your claims history and driving experience. You can move up a level each year, until you reach 65%. Allianz provides something similar called Safe Driver Benefits. Every two years of claims-free insurance will give you an extra star, until you've achieved the maximum six-star rating, which comes with a 15% discount and Allianz Star Rating Protection. With this, you won't lose a star for your first at-fault claim in a policy year.
How do their exclusions compare?
Both Allianz and NRMA policies contain similar general exclusions. You won't be covered if:
- Your vehicle is driven by an unlicensed driver or someone under the influence
- Your vehicle is used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
- You exceed loads or passenger limits
- You are carrying passengers for hire, fare or reward
- You make a claim for consequential loss
- You are involved in a deliberate, intentional, malicious or criminal act
For a full list of exclusions, always read the product disclosure statement (PDS).
What companies does each underwriter work with?
Allianz underwrites its own policies while NRMA is part of the Insurance Australian Group (IAG). IAG operates several Australian insurance brands including Swann Insurance, SGIC, SGIO and CGU. It also has businesses in Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Allianz is well established globally, with businesses throughout the world. Its headquarters is in Munich.
More guides on Finder
How to check car insurance
How to stay up to date with your car insurance and avoid any hassle.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Yes, you need car insurance to protect you from expensive bills following an accident.
Your comprehensive guide to getting trailer insurance for caravans, mobile homes and box trailers.
Road trip statistics Australia
Finder research found 42% of Australians, equivalent to 8.2 million people, are planning a domestic road trip over the next 6 months.
Toyota LandCruiser car insurance
A Toyota LandCruiser car insurance policy is around $138.43 a month. Compare 5+ policies side-by-side to see if you can get better value for your money.
Toyota HiAce insurance
The average Toyota HiAce comprehensive insurance policy is $107.21 a month. Compare 5+ policies, discounts and find out if you could pay less.
Toyota Granvia insurance
The average Toyota Granvia comprehensive insurance policy is $127.36 a month. Compare 5+ policies, discounts and get covered for a hire car, personal effects and more.
Toyota C-HR car insurance
Toyota C-HR car insurance costs around $X a month. Compare 5+ policies to see if you could be paying less.
ROLLiN’ car insurance review
ROLLiN' is an IAG-backed car insurer offering a flexible comprehensive plan that's refreshingly free from faff.
Toyota RAV4 car insurance
The average insurance policy for a Toyota RAV4 is $105 a month. Compare 5+ policies and you could save.
Ask an Expert