The Westpac Altitude Black Card has the highest earn rate of any Altitude Rewards credit card and no points cap. This means you'll earn between 1.25 and 6 points per $1 on all eligible spending, with the highest rate for Qantas, Jetstar, Singapore Airlines and Emirates bookings made in Australia. It also offers up to 45 days interest-free on new purchases when you pay the total monthly payment balance listed on each statement by due date. Otherwise, the card's 19.99% p.a. variable interest rate applies.
Westpac Altitude Black
- Bonus points
- Purchase rate
- 19.99% p.a.
- Reward points per $ spent
- Annual fee for the first year ($295 p.a. thereafter)
- $150 p.a.
You can also redeem points for gift cards, travel, retail items and point transfers to Velocity Frequent Flyer, Asia Miles, Air New Zealand Airpoints and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. But you do need to log in to the Altitude Rewards website to view full details of the rewards available. Other perks on this card include complimentary travel insurance and 2 complimentary airport lounge visits per year, as well as complimentary standard Priority Pass membership. After the first year, it charges a $295 annual fee that's competitive for a black card. But it's still important to weigh up this cost and the potential value you'll get from rewards and other features before you apply.
Up to 150,000 bonus Altitude Rewards Points offer
Discounted first-year annual fee
Complimentary lounge passes
Complimentary overseas travel and purchase insurances
Up to 45 days interest-free on purchases, compared to other cards that offer up to 55 days
Relatively high standard annual fee of $295 p.a.
|Product Name||Westpac Altitude Black|
|Purchase rate p.a.||19.99%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 45 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate p.a.||21.49%|
|Min credit limit||$15,000|
|Max credit limit||$75,000|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Rewards program||Westpac Altitude Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1.25|
|Annual fee||$150 first year ($295 after)|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$15|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Cash advance fee||3%|
|Overseas cash advance fee||2%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||1|
How to apply
It takes around 10 minutes to apply for the Westpac Altitude Black Card via a secure online form. Get a response within 60 seconds of submitting your completed application. To get started, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements and have all the relevant details and documents for the application.
- New cards only. If you want to take advantage of the bonus points offer, you must not have held any of the following Westpac credit cards in the past 12 months: Altitude Classic, Altitude Platinum, Altitude Black, Earth Classic, Earth Platinum, Earth Platinum Plus or Earth Black.
- Income. You must earn at least $75,000 per year.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident currently living in Australia.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, email address, residential address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Employment details. You'll need to provide details of your current work status, job title, salary and your employer's contact details. You'll also need to include recent payslips or bank statements to verify your income. If you're self-employed, you'll need to provide your accountant's contact details, as well as supporting documentation such as recent tax assessment notices.
- Financial details. This covers any other forms of income, such as government payments and pensions, as well as assets such as savings. You'll also need to provide details of existing debts, loans and credit cards, as well as an estimate of your regular household expenses.
- Up to 150,000 bonus Altitude points. If you apply for a new Westpac Altitude Black Credit Card by 30 April 2024, are approved, and reach a minimum spend of $6,000 on eligible purchases within 120 days from card approval, you will receive 100,000 bonus Altitude Rewards points. You'll earn another 50,000 points after paying the annual fee for the second year, making you earn a total of 150,000 bonus points. To give you an idea of the potential value, you could redeem these points for $700 in eGift cards. If you're dreaming of travel in the future, you also have the option of transferring your points to Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Air New Zealand Airpoints, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer or Velocity Frequent Flyer.
- Discounted first-year annual fee. This card charges a $150 annual fee for the first year, which reverts to $295 p.a. thereafter.
- Uncapped Westpac Altitude Rewards points. The Westpac Altitude Black earns 6 points per $1 spent (up to $10,000 per month) on flights purchased in Australia directly with Qantas, Jetstar, Emirates and Singapore Airlines, then 1.25 points per $1 spent thereafter. You will also earn 2 points per $1 spent at David Jones, Myer, THE ICONIC, Spotify Premium, Uber, Uber Eats and Airbnb and 1.25 points per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases. You can redeem your points for cashback, gift cards, retail items or frequent flyer point transfers through the Altitude Rewards program.
- Priority Pass airport lounge access. This card offers complimentary standard Priority Pass membership (valued at US$99) and waives the cost of your first two lounge visits through the program. While this perk is only available to the primary cardholder, guests can accompany you to a lounge for an additional fee of US$32.
- Complimentary travel insurance. The Altitude Black offers complimentary overseas travel insurance when you use the card to pay for at least $500 of your travel costs before the start of your trip. You also need to currently live in Australia, have a return ticket to Australia and be under 80 years of age. Your partner and/or any dependent children travelling with you can also get cover through this policy when they meet the eligibility requirements. In addition to overseas travel insurance, the Westpac Altitude Black offers complimentary interstate flight inconvenience insurance and car rental excess cover for eligible trips in Australia.
- Complimentary insurance for shopping. You can also get access to purchase security insurance, extended warranty cover and price guarantee cover for eligible items you buy with the Westpac Altitude Black.
- Westpac Concierge. The 24/7 Westpac Concierge can help you save time on booking restaurants, planning events and fulfilling other requests you may have. You can make requests over the phone by calling 1300 651 999.
- Mobile technology. You can use your compatible device to make contactless mobile payments at the checkout through Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay. You can also pay with your eligible fitness tracker with Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. Outside of any promotions, this card charges a standard annual fee of $295 p.a. Make sure you weigh this against the value you expect to get from earning rewards and using other perks on the card, such as the airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance.
- Purchase interest rate. The variable interest rate on purchases is 19.99% p.a.
- Interest-free period. You will receive up to 45 days interest-free on new purchases when you pay your monthly payment balance listed on your statement in full by the payment due date. Note that these interest-free days are separate from any longer-term interest rate promotions and the monthly payment balance excludes current balance transfers.
- Cash advance rate. The variable interest rate on cash advances and cash-equivalent transactions is 21.49% p.a.
- Credit limit. The minimum credit limit for this card is $15,000.
- Foreign transaction fee. A foreign conversion fee of 3% is charged for any purchases made with an international retailer.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
November 09, 2023
When purchasing an international flight do I need to use the Westpac Altitude Black card to purchase the flight to then gain access to the international lounge?
Amy Bradney-George Finder
November 10, 2023
There is no purchase required to use the 2 complimentary airport lounge passes. You just need enrol through the Priority Pass link provided by Westpac, then show a valid boarding pass at any participating airport lounge. I hope this helps.
October 25, 2023
Just wondering how many points you need (roughly) to fly one person to Europe return business class?
Amy Bradney-George Finder
October 25, 2023
Westpac doesn’t publicly display specific details about flight bookings through the Altitude Rewards website, but it states that flights are available from 29,550 points (at the time of writing). If you want more specific details or have further questions, you could call the Altitude Rewards Centre on 1300 887 820. I hope this helps.
Show more Show less
May 24, 2019
hello – does an altitude black credit card cover me and my husband for a domestic holiday paid for with this card?
May 25, 2019
Thanks for your inquiry.
According to our Westpac credit card complimentary insurance policy review page, your spouse or dependent child will also qualify for coverage if they satisfy these four requirements:
- Travel together on the entire journey. The spouse and/or dependent child or children travel with the cardholder for the entire journey.
- $500 in prepaid travel expenditure. Each spouse and/or dependent child spends $500 or more on prepaid travel costs (e.g. return travel ticket, airport or departure taxes, prepaid overseas accommodation, or travel itinerary items) before departing Australia, and they charge these costs to your eligible Westpac credit card.
- Return travel ticket. The spouse and/or dependent child or children have a return overseas travel ticket before leaving Australia.
- Not over 80. The spouse and/or dependent child or children are not over 80 years of age when they first qualify for coverage by meeting the three conditions above.
I hope this information helps.
Show more Show less
February 12, 2019
Hi, I’m flying economy to Singapore with Singapore Airlines from Adelaide and I have a Westpac priority pass. Can I access the Qantas lounge with my husband? Thanks.
February 13, 2019
Thanks for getting in touch with finder. I hope all is well with you. :)
The complimentary lounge passes with Priority Pass is only available for the primary cardholder or member. However, your husband can join you in the lounge by paying the prevailing visit fee which is around US$25-$30 at the time of this writing. This fee will be directly charged to your card.
Be sure that you enrol in the Priority Pass program before heading to the lounge.
I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.
Have a wonderful day!
Show more Show less
January 17, 2019
WOULD LIKE TO USE AIRPORT LOUNGE WHILST IN SINGAPORE IN MARCH
John Basanes Finder
January 18, 2019
Thank you for reaching out to finder.
Once you have met the requirements listed by your credit card, you’ll be able to access eligible airport lounges by either presenting your invitations or showing your credit card to lounge staff, along with a valid boarding pass. If you want to bring a guest or family members into the lounge, the staff will then advise you of any charges that may apply for your companion/s. Hope this helps!
Show more Show less