Westpac Altitude Black
Earn 150,000 bonus Altitude Rewards points and travel in style with luxury perks and complimentary insurance covers.
Apply for a new Westpac Altitude Black card by 07 September 2021 and spend $4,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days from card approval and you'll receive 150,000 bonus Altitude Rewards points. That’s enough for $500 cashback or $620 in eGift cards.
Balance transfer rate
for 18 months with 1% balance transfer fee
Per $ spent
|Product Name||Westpac Altitude Black|
|Rewards program||Westpac Altitude Rewards|
|Balance transfer rate||0% p.a. for 18 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance transfer revert rate||Cash Advance Rate (21.49% p.a.)|
|Balance transfer limit||80% of available limit|
|Purchase rate||20.49% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 45 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate||21.49% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$15,000|
|Max credit limit||$75,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 150,000 bonus Altitude Points offer
- 0% p.a. balance transfer for 18 months
- Complimentary lounge passes
- Complimentary overseas travel and purchase insurances
- Charges a one-time 1% balance transfer fee
- Up to 45 days interest-free on purchases, compared to other cards that offer up to 55 days
- Relatively high annual fee of $250
|Rewards program||Westpac Altitude Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1.25|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$15|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Cash advance fee||2% or $2.50, whichever is greater|
|Overseas cash advance fee||2%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||1|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
On top of points, this card gives you access to two complimentary airport lounge visits per year, as well as complimentary standard Priority Pass membership. It also offers complimentary travel insurance. It charges a $250 annual fee that's very competitive for a black card – particularly if you can make use of the card's extras. In fact, if you used the bonus points to get $500 cashback on your account, you’d have enough to cover the annual fee twice over.
How to apply
It takes around 10 minutes to apply for the Westpac Altitude Black via a secure online form. Get a response within 60 seconds of submitting your completed application. To get started, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements and have all the relevant details and documents for the application.
- New cards only. If you want to take advantage of the bonus points offer, you must not have held any of the following Westpac credit cards in the past 12 months: Altitude Classic, Altitude Platinum, Altitude Black, Earth Classic, Earth Platinum, Earth Platinum Plus or Earth Black.
- Income. You must earn at least $75,000 per year.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident currently living in Australia.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Eligible balance transfer debt. You can transfer from $200 up to 80% of your available credit limit from up to 3 Australian credit, charge or store cards not issued by Westpac.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, email address, residential address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Employment details. You'll need to provide details of your current work status, job title, salary and your employer's contact details. You'll also need to include recent payslips or bank statements to verify your income. If you're self-employed, you'll need to provide your accountant's contact details, as well as supporting documentation such as recent tax assessment notices.
- Financial details. This covers any other forms of income, such as government payments and pensions, as well as assets such as savings. You'll also need to provide details of existing debts, loans and credit cards, as well as an estimate of your regular household expenses.
- Balance transfer information. To transfer a balance, you'll need to provide the account numbers of the cards you'd like to transfer, the provider's biller codes and the debt amounts.
- 150,000 bonus Altitude points. If you apply for a new Westpac Altitude Black Credit Card by 07 September 2021, are approved, and reach a minimum spend of $4,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days from card approval, you will receive 150,000 bonus Altitude Rewards points. To give you an idea of the potential value of these points, you could redeem them for $620 in eGift cards. If you're dreaming of travel in the future, you also have the option of transferring your points to Asia Miles, Air New Zealand Airpoints, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer or Velocity Frequent Flyer.
- Balance transfer offer. You can save with a 0% interest rate for 18 months on balance transfers if you apply and get approved for this card by 07 September 2021. A one-time 1% balance transfer fee applies. At the end of the introductory period, any remaining balances on your card will be charged at the variable cash advance.
- Uncapped Westpac Altitude Rewards points. The Westpac Altitude Black earns 6 points per $1 spent (up to $10,000 per month) on flights purchased in Australia directly with Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Emirates and Singapore Airlines, then 1.25 points per $1 spent thereafter. You will also earn 2 points per $1 spent at David Jones, Myer, THE ICONIC, Spotify Premium, Uber, Uber Eats and Airbnb and 1.25 points per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Priority Pass airport lounge access. This card offers complimentary standard Priority Pass membership (valued at US$99) and waives the cost of your first two lounge visits through the program. While this perk is only available to the primary cardholder, guests can accompany you to a lounge for an additional fee of US$32.
- Complimentary travel insurance. The Altitude Black offers complimentary overseas travel insurance when you use the card to pay for at least $500 of your travel costs before the start of your trip. You also need to currently live in Australia, have a return ticket to Australia and be under 80 years of age. Your partner and/or any dependent children travelling with you can also get cover through this policy when they meet the eligibility requirements. In addition to overseas travel insurance, the Westpac Altitude Black offers complimentary interstate flight inconvenience insurance and car rental excess cover for eligible trips in Australia.
- Complimentary insurance for shopping. You can also get access to purchase security insurance, extended warranty cover and price guarantee cover for eligible items you buy with the Westpac Altitude Black.
- Westpac Concierge. The 24/7 Westpac Concierge can help you save time on booking restaurants, planning events and fulfilling other requests you may have. You can make requests over the phone by calling 1300 651 999.
- Mobile technology. You can use your compatible device to make contactless mobile payments at the checkout through Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay. You can also pay with your eligible fitness tracker with Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The standard annual fee for using this card is $250 p.a. Make sure you weigh this against the value you expect to get from earning rewards and using other perks on the card, such as the airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance.
- Purchase interest rate. The variable interest rate on purchases is 20.49% p.a.
- Interest-free period. You will receive up to 45 days interest-free on new purchases when you pay your monthly payment balance listed on your statement in full by the payment due date. Note that these interest-free days are separate from any longer-term interest rate promotions and the monthly payment balance excludes current balance transfers.
- Cash advance rate. The variable interest rate on cash advances and cash-equivalent transactions is 21.49% p.a.
- Credit limit. The minimum credit limit for this card is $15,000.
- Foreign transaction fee. A foreign conversion fee of 3% is charged for any purchases made with an international retailer.