Roadside assistance Victoria
Don't let potholes ruin your road trip. Get roadside assistance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Has your engine started smoking on some picturesque stretch or another of the Great Ocean Road? Were you run off the straight and narrow while eyeing up the grape vines in the Yarra Valley? Roadside assistance is designed to help you out by providing on-the-spot repairs or by getting your vehicle to somewhere it can get help. With roadside assistance, you'll never be left staring at your own broken car as other, undamaged vehicles roar by. Avoid expensive towing bills and even protect against your own mistakes by investing in some roadside assistance.
In case your car breaks down in the middle of Victoria, roadside assistance can come and rescue you. When comparing roadside assistance policies, don't forget to check the product disclosure statement to make sure you choose the right cover.
What does roadside assistance cover me for in Victoria?
What you're covered for varies from provider to provider, but there are some basic services and situations you can expect them to have covered whoever you end up going with:
- No petrol. Your gauge is reading empty and you just can't get that engine to start. Whatever roadside assistance comes along to help is likely to be carrying a bit of petrol or diesel, but if they aren't they'll take you to a nearby station.
- Restarting that engine. It's stopped! Why won't it just turn on? Instead of you needing to fiddle around under the hood, you can get roadside assistance to check that engine for you and figure out what ails it.
- Dead batteries. Perhaps you've been leaving your lights on or the spark's just gone out of your poor car battery. In any case, roadside assistance can give you a quick jump-start on-scene.
- Burst or flat tyres. Your tyre's gone funny or it's blown a gasket and you can't safely steer. Roadside assistance will pump it up for you or change it over to a brand new one.
- Lockouts. With some modern cars, they won't let you lock those keys in there even if you tried. But for everyone else, mistakes can happen. Rely on roadside assistance to let you back in or help pay to replace your locks if you have to.
- Towing. Occasionally, you'll run into a problem even roadside assistance can't fix on the spot. In these cases, they'll whip out the tow and take you where you can get your woes attended to.
What happens if I'm travelling interstate?
If for some reason you tire of Victoria's natural beauty and decide to head on out and see some other parts of Australia, you should still retain whatever roadside assistance benefits you have at home. While some roadside assistance providers only operate inside Victoria, like the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria, these insurers have partnerships with other companies so that you're still protected wherever you're driving.
How do I choose a roadside assistance brand in Victoria?
If you're hunting around for the right roadside assistance provider for you, ask the same questions you would when seeking any other insurance: what do I need and what can I afford? Certain providers like AAMI have roadside assistance as an optional extra with their comprehensive insurance policies. Bundling all the automobile protection you need – like third-party fire, theft and damage cover – using a single provider can be cheaper than seeking standalone roadside assistance.
Alternatively, if roadside assistance is all you're looking for, plenty of providers like the RACV or Ultra Roadside Assistance offer it independently of any insurance plan. While services may be comparable between the different insurers, one of the major sources of variance is how fast they'll respond to your emergency. Adding a little extra on to the yearly payments might be worth it so you don't have to spend an extra day at Phillip Island (though it may provide a good excuse!)
How does roadside assistance compare?
Here is how some insurance companies in Australia stack up. Most insurers offer very similar cover as each other but as you can see, the joining requirements, cost and benefit limits can vary quite a bit.
- None of the following policies require a joining fee, although only a few will let you purchase roadside assistance as standalone cover.
- Towing limit can vary by as much as 30km in urban areas and 50km in rural areas.
- Cost can vary by more than $30 per year.
|Company||Cost per year||Joining fee||Callout limits||Need to hold a policy with them?||Lockout / Lost key||Out of fuel||Breakdown towing||Get quote|
|Included with a comprehensive policy||$0||First 2 included||Yes||$150||10 litres||50km in the city, 20km in rural areas||Get Quote|
|$79.95||$0||Unlimited||No||$125||$15||15km in the city, 50km in rural areas||Get Quote|
|$83/year||$0||Unlimited||Yes||$150||Enough to reach the next petrol station||20km in the city, 50km in rural areas||Get Quote|
|$113||$0||Unlimited||No||Yes||Yes||20km in the city, towing to nearest NRMA centre in rural areas||Get Quote|
|$86||$0||Unlimited||Yes||$250||$10||20km in the city, 100km in rural areas|
|$95||$0||Unlimited||Yes||$250||$10||20km in the city, 100km country|
|$95||$0||Unlimited||Yes||$250||$10||20km in the city, 100km country|
|$84||$0||Unlimited||Yes||$250||$10||20km in the city, 100km in rural areas|
Who has the cheapest roadside assistance in Victoria?
We got the costs for some of Victoria's roadside assistance providers. Here's how they stack up:
- 24/7 Roadservices Australia – $69 a year or $110 for 2 years (3 tiers)
- Ultra Roadside Assistance – $74.50 (2 tiers)
- Budget Direct – $79.95
- 365 Roadside Assistance – $89 (3 tiers)
- Allianz – $99 (2 tiers)
- Royal Automobile Club of Victoria – $114
With comprehensive insurance policy:
- Youi – free
- Apia – $84
- AAMI – $86
- GIO – $95
- Suncorp – $95
Which providers offer roadside assistance in Victoria?
Want cover for roadside assistance?
More guides on Finder
MasterClass: Courses delivered by recognised industry experts
Ignite your passion with exclusive training from your favourite celebrity experts with MasterClass.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Ask an Expert