We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The NRMA is Australia’s largest member organisation and has been providing drivers roadside assistance, International Driving Permits, insurance, maintenance and registration services for almost a century. Below you will find information on the different NRMA roadside assistance policies available, along with what is covered in each and what isn't.
Here’s our full breakdown of NRMA Roadside Assistance.
Compare NRMA Roadside Assistance Cover Options
What policy options are available?
- Free2Go. A service for young drivers aged 16 to 20. Free2Go offers 2 years of cover free to 16-year-olds and the first year free to drivers aged 17 to 20. This is a limits service, with only four call-outs a year.
- Classic Care. Simple protection against the most common of breakdowns. Flat tyres, batteries and empty tanks are all covered with this standard policy from NRMA.
- Premium Care. Providing the same service of Classic Care, with additional protection such as accident assistance and taxi cover.
- Premium Plus. Your complete cover for all roadside breakdowns. Offering all the benefits of Premium Care, but with higher limits on cover.
What does each NRMA roadside assistance policy cover?
|Free2go||Classic Care||Premium Care||Premium Plus|
|Child restraint installation|
|Vehicle health check|
What additional options are there?
- Key Plus: Offers an additional $500 per year to cover the cost to call out a locksmith and any replacement keys.
- Pet Plus: Covers up to $2,000 for cost of transporting your pet in the event of a breakdown, as well as accommodation.
- Tow Plus: Provides an additional 10km in any direction from the breakdown, in addition to your policy benefit.
- Windscreen Plus: Covers front windscreen chip repairs and discounts on replacements.
Does NRMA roadside assistance have any exclusions?
NRMA won’t cover any vehicle or trailer that is unregistered, unroadworthy or if it is being used for business or commercial purposes. Other factors that can disqualify you from cover are:
- Attempted repairs or dismantling of your car
- Damage from fire, accident, theft, flood or malicious damage
- Financial loss or legal liability connected with a breakdown or accident
- Use by an unlicensed or disqualified driver
- Use in motor sports or competitions
NRMA can also deny further roadside assistance or towing if it deems the use of the service as unnecessary and excessive.
Am I protected in an accident?
No. Roadside assistance only provides cover for breakdowns and the benefits only extend to a point where you are safely off the road. You would still cover any costs and charges for labour or, in the event of an accident, legal liability. For protection against third party property or accidental damage, NRMA offers a range of car insurance policies to cover against such events.
What do I do if my car breaks down?
Pull as far off the road as you can, turn your hazard lights on and stay with your vehicle.
Call 13 11 22 for NRMA Roadside Assistance, which will provide over-the-phone support and send out a mechanic to get you back on the road or a tow to get you to safety.
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert