NRMA Roadside Assistance
Can these four letters make you smile when you’ve broken down? Read on for our full guide to NRMA Roadside Assistance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you’ve ever been on a road, you’ll no doubt have seen an NRMA roadside service vehicle helping out some unfortunate driver and their tired old car get back on the road. The NRMA is Australia’s largest member organisation and has been providing drivers roadside assistance, International Driving Permits, insurance, maintenance and registration services for almost a century. But what makes them a good option? What policies do they offer and what exclusions are there? Here’s our full breakdown of NRMA Roadside Assistance.
Compare NRMA Roadside Assistance Cover Options
What policy options are available?
- Free2Go. A service for young drivers aged 16 to 20. Free2Go offers 2 years of cover free to 16-year-olds and the first year free to drivers aged 17 to 20. This is a limits service, with only four call-outs a year.
- Classic Care. Simple protection against the most common of breakdowns. Flat tyres, batteries and empty tanks are all covered with this standard policy from NRMA.
- Premium Care. Providing the same service of Classic Care, with additional protection such as accident assistance and taxi cover.
- Premium Plus. Your complete cover for all roadside breakdowns. Offering all the benefits of Premium Care, but with higher limits on cover.
What does each policy cover?
|Free2go||Classic Care||Premium Care||Premium Plus|
|Child restraint installation|
|Vehicle health check|
What additional options are there?
- Key Plus: Offers an additional $500 per year to cover the cost to call out a locksmith and any replacement keys.
- Pet Plus: Covers up to $2,000 for cost of transporting your pet in the event of a breakdown, as well as accommodation.
- Tow Plus: Provides an additional 10km in any direction from the breakdown, in addition to your policy benefit.
- Windscreen Plus: Covers front windscreen chip repairs and discounts on replacements.
Are there any exclusions?
NRMA won’t cover any vehicle or trailer that is unregistered, unroadworthy or if it is being used for business or commercial purposes. Other factors that can disqualify you from cover are:
- Attempted repairs or dismantling of your car
- Damage from fire, accident, theft, flood or malicious damage
- Financial loss or legal liability connected with a breakdown or accident
- Use by an unlicensed or disqualified driver
- Use in motor sports or competitions
NRMA can also deny further roadside assistance or towing if it deems the use of the service as unnecessary and excessive.
Am I protected in an accident?
No. Roadside assistance only provides cover for breakdowns and the benefits only extend to a point where you are safely off the road. You would still cover any costs and charges for labour or, in the event of an accident, legal liability. For protection against third party property or accidental damage, NRMA offers a range of car insurance policies to cover against such events.
What do I do if my car breaks down?
Pull as far off the road as you can, turn your hazard lights on and stay with your vehicle.
Call 13 11 22 for NRMA Roadside Assistance, which will provide over-the-phone support and send out a mechanic to get you back on the road or a tow to get you to safety.
More guides on Finder
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Mercedes-Benz E-Class car insurance
Find out how much the average Mercedes-Benz E-Class costs to insure, as well as how to find a prestige car insurer.
How to start a virtual assistant business
Get set up to provide support services remotely with our guide to launching a virtual assistant company.
Sales assistant resume templates (Australia)
Find out how to write a sales assistant resume that will help you stand out from the crowd.
2018 Toyota HiLux Review
Looking to purchase a 4x4 ute? It might be worth adding the 2018 Toyota HiLux to your shortlist.
Administrative assistant resume templates
If you're an assistant on the hunt for a new job, a polished resume is a vital first step.
Ask an Expert