Poncho Car Insurance
Just like a monthly subscription cover with a no lock-in contract – find out if Poncho car insurance is right for you.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Poncho car insurance covers all drivers and cars on the one, easy-to-understand, flexible comprehensive car cover policy. If you want your car insurance to work just like a monthly subscription with no lock-ins or cancellation fees, then Poncho might be the insurer for you.
Finder's favourite features
- Just like a monthly subscription style insurance with no lock-ins or cancellation fees
- Insure all your cars and drivers under the one policy and change them as you need to
- One simple excess for every listed driver of $800 ($3000 for anyone else)
- Some popular extras are Poncho standard benefits like windscreen, baby capsules and sunroof damage
- 24/7 online claims support
- A simple, insurance-jargon-free 26 page PDS makes knowing what you're covered for easy to understand
Review by our car insurance expert Alexandra Koster
Ready to compare Poncho car insurance?
If you know Poncho is the insurer for you, you can simply get started with a quote below.
What insurance options are available with Poncho car insurance?
Poncho car insurance offers one, catch-all comprehensive policy. Unlike most policies, you can insure multiple cars under the one policy. Here's an overview of its key features.
- Loss or damage to your car caused by the following:
- Accidental collision
- Fires or explosion
- Theft or attempted theft
- Storm, flood or water
- Lightning or hail
- Legal costs. Poncho provides up to $20,000,000 in legal liability protection.
- Emergency travel and accommodation. If you're 200km or more from home and your car's been stolen or damaged, Poncho will reimburse you up to $500 for travel and a place to stay.
- Towing costs. If you break down and need to be towed, Poncho will pay the reasonable cost to tow your car to its nearest authorised spot.
- Storage costs. If your car gets damaged, Poncho can pay to have it temporarily stored.
- Keys and locks. Get up to $1,000 towards replacing and recoding your car's keys and locks if they're stolen.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. Any repairs Poncho authorises to get done on your car are guaranteed for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Essential emergency repairs. If you need repairs done urgently, Poncho will reimburse you up to $500 for essential emergency repairs.
- Replacement car after a total loss. If your car is written off and it has less than 15,000km on the odometer, Poncho can replace it with a similar car (if it's available in Australia).
- Transport. Poncho can help cover transport, such as a rental car or alternative transport, for you if your car is damaged by an insured event.
- Windscreen, sunroof and window glass damage. If your windscreen, sunroof or window glass is damaged by an insured event, Poncho will cover you once per insurance period.
- Child seats and baby capsules. They'll reimburse you for up to $1,000 to replace child seats or baby capsules that are damaged as a result of an insured event.
- Trailer. If you have a trailer and it's stolen or damaged, Poncho can reimburse you for up to $1,000 to cover the costs of any accidental loss or damage.
Keep in mind that in order to get reimbursed, you need to have paid for the repairs yourself in most cases, so keep a hold of your receipts and invoices.
What additional cover options are available?
Most car insurers give you the option of paying extra and getting cover for additional benefits, but Poncho doesn't. For instance, many car insurers will make you pay extra if you want protection for damaged windscreens, sunroofs and window glass. Poncho automatically covers this. If they are accidentally broken and your car isn't damaged, they'll pay for the repairs. No contribution is needed.
Keep in mind that they'll only cover you once per insurance period. The insurance period is the time your policy is valid for and is outlined on our Insurance Certificate (you'll get this when you purchase a policy). Poncho works like Just like a monthly subscription.
General exclusions to be aware of
Like all car insurance policies, there are exclusions. This is the stuff you won't be covered for. For a full list, consult the product disclosure statement (PDS).
- If you or the person driving has deliberately damaged your own property
- Any damage or loss when you're using a hire car or any car other than the insured vehicle
- Any legal liability for death or bodily injury
- Carrying or storing explosives
- Consequential losses
- Drivers convicted or charged with driving offences
- Theft, if you fail to secure your car
- Undisclosed modifications, performance or illegal modifications
How to cancel Poncho car insurance
Poncho has no lock-in contracts and no cancellation fees, so you can cancel whenever you want. If you do decide to cancel your Poncho car insurance policy, the company will refund the portion of your premium that covers the remaining period of your insurance. You can email Poncho at firstname.lastname@example.org to speak about cancelling.