Poncho car insurance covers all drivers and cars on the one, easy-to-understand, flexible comprehensive car cover policy. If you want your insurance to work just like a monthly subscription with no long-term commitment, then Poncho might be the insurer for you.
- With Poncho, it's easy to insure all your cars and drivers under the one policy and change them as you need to.
- Get 24/7 online claims support. Plus, popular extras include benefits like windscreen, baby capsules and sunroof damage.
- You won't be able to choose your own repairer after an accident. At the time of writing, Poncho didn't offer any sign up deals for new customers.
Review by our senior car insurance writer James Martin
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Poncho car insurance website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with Finder.Compare car insurance fast
Poncho car insurance offers one, catch-all comprehensive policy. Unlike most policies, you can insure multiple cars under the one policy. Here's an overview of its key features.
- Loss or damage to your car caused by the following:
- Accidental collision
- Fires or explosion
- Theft or attempted theft
- Storm, flood or water
- Lightning or hail
- Legal costs. Poncho provides up to $20,000,000 in legal liability protection.
- Emergency travel and accommodation. If you're 200km or more from home and your car's been stolen or damaged, Poncho will reimburse you up to $500 for travel and a place to stay.
- Towing costs. If you break down and need to be towed, Poncho will pay the Reasonable cost to tow your car to its nearest authorised spot.
- Storage costs. If your car gets damaged, Poncho can pay to have it temporarily stored.
- Keys and locks. Get up to $1,000 towards replacing and recoding your car's keys and locks if they're stolen.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. Any repairs Poncho authorises to get done on your car are guaranteed for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Essential emergency repairs. If you need repairs done urgently, Poncho will reimburse you up to $500 for essential emergency repairs.
- Replacement car after a total loss. Yes - If your car is less than 15,000 kms on the odometer, Poncho can replace it with a similar car (if it's available in Australia).
- Transport. Poncho can help cover transport, such as a rental car or alternative transport, for you if your car is damaged by an insured event.
- Windscreen, sunroof and window glass damage. If your windscreen, sunroof or window glass is damaged by an insured event, Poncho will cover you once per insurance period.
- Child seats and baby capsules. They'll reimburse you for up to $1,000 to replace child seats or baby capsules that are damaged as a result of an insured event.
- Trailer. If you have a trailer and it's stolen or damaged, Poncho can reimburse you for up to $1,000 to cover the costs of any accidental loss or damage.
Keep in mind that in order to get reimbursed, you need to have paid for the repairs yourself in most cases, so keep a hold of your receipts and invoices.
Most car insurers give you the option of paying extra and getting cover for additional benefits, but Poncho doesn't. For instance, many car insurers will make you pay extra if you want protection for damaged windscreens, sunroofs and window glass. Poncho automatically covers this. If they are accidentally broken and your car isn't damaged, they'll pay for the repairs. No contribution is needed.
Keep in mind that they'll only cover you once per insurance period. The insurance period is the time your policy is valid for and is outlined on our Insurance Certificate (you'll get this when you purchase a policy). Poncho works just like a monthly subscription.
Is Poncho car insurance suitable for me?
To help determine if this cover is suitable for you, it's important to first work out if you meet all the eligibility requirements. The key requirements for your vehicle include:
- The type of vehicle you own. Passenger vehicles that are eligible include, but are not limited to, sedans, wagons, SUV, utilities, and people carriers.
- How you use your vehicle. The Vehicle is used for private use.
- The condition of your vehicle. Your vehicle needs to be in good repair and condition. It must also meet the registration requirements in your state or territory.
Always read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to understand the specific coverage and limitations, before signing up for a policy. The PDS is available to view on Poncho's website.
Like all car insurance policies, there are exclusions. This is the stuff you won't be covered for.
- If you or the person driving has deliberately damaged your own property
- Any damage or loss when you're using a hire car or any car other than the insured vehicle
- Any legal liability for death or bodily injury
- Carrying or storing explosives
- Consequential losses
- Drivers convicted or charged with driving offences
- Theft, if you fail to secure your car
- Undisclosed modifications, performance or illegal modifications.
Poncho has no lock-in contracts and no cancellation fees, so you can cancel whenever you want. If you do decide to cancel your Poncho car insurance policy, the company will refund the portion of your premium that covers the remaining period of your insurance. You can email Poncho at firstname.lastname@example.org to speak about cancelling.