If you’re about to hop behind the wheel of your very own BMW, it’s essential that you consider taking out car insurance protection before you hit the road. The good news is that there are car insurance policies designed with you in mind. BMW Prestige Motor Vehicle Insurance is underwritten by Allianz and is available as Comprehensive Cover. This policy offers a long list of benefits to help get you back on the road when your car is damaged, stolen or involved in an accident
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the BMW Car Insurance website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
BMW car insurance
BMW Prestige Motor Vehicle Insurance offers one policy option to Australian drivers:
Comprehensive Cover is designed to offer protection for a wide range of driving risks. It covers accidental loss or damage to your vehicle, including new vehicle replacement on cars less than three years old. Towing costs, emergency repairs and a rental vehicle following theft are all covered, while $20 million legal liability cover is included when you cause damage to other people’s property or bodily injury to someone else.
Policy features in detail
- Covers accidental loss or damage to your vehicle
- Theft cover included
- New vehicle replacement for cars less than three years old that are a total loss
- $20 million legal liability cover for damage to other people’s property
- Legal liability for death or bodily injury also covered
- Rental vehicle following theft
- Towing costs
- Caravan and trailer cover
- $500 emergency repairs cover
- $1,000 personal effects cover
- Transportation and emergency accommodation costs
- Re-keying and re-coding if your vehicle’s keys are stolen
- Your choice of repairer
- Genuine BMW parts used to repair your vehicle
BMW car insurance excess charges
The excess is the amount you must contribute to the cost of a claim. Paying an excess helps to reduce the number of small claims insurers must pay, resulting in cheaper premiums. The following excesses may apply to cover, so check your insurance documents for details:
- Basic excess. This is the first excess you will need to pay towards each claim. It includes the minimum basic excess, the voluntary excess (if you choose a higher excess for lower premiums), and the imposed excess (which may be added due to underwriting criteria).
- Age excess. This excess is payable when you make a claim following an accident where your vehicle was being driven by someone under the age of 25.
- Undeclared young driver excess. You’ll need to pay this excess if you make a claim after your vehicle was driven by an under-25 driver not listed in your insurance schedule.
- Theft excess. The theft excess applies when you make a claim for loss or damage arising from the theft or attempted theft of your vehicle.
- Driver excess. This excess may be applied to specific drivers listed on your policy.
- Unnamed driver excess. This excess is payable when the named driver option applies, but you make a claim after your car was being driven by someone not listed in your schedule as a nominated driver.
Steps to save on BMW car insurance
There are several ways you can reduce the cost of your BMW Car Insurance premium, including:
- Choosing a higher excess. You have the flexibility to select a higher excess in return for cheaper premiums.
- Restricting the number of options. Another way to keep your premium down is to reduce the number of extra-cost options you select.
- Choosing the restricted drivers option. You can save on your premium if you choose to limit your cover to drivers over the age of 25 only.
- Be a safe driver. This will allow you to access no-claim bonus discounts.
How to claim
In order for your BMW Prestige Motor Vehicle Insurance claim to be accepted, you must not admit any liability or guilt following an incident. You must also take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss, damage or liability from occurring, and contact the police following an accident.
Next, make sure you contact the insurer as soon as possible after any incident which may lead to a claim. You’ll need to provide details of the loss, damage or liability in the manner requested by the insurer, which could be verbally or online, and immediately forward on any correspondence you receive regarding the incident.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
Some final questions you might have
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert