Find out what's required to get your car insured in Tasmania
These three steps will help your vehicle get fully insured in Tasmania.
- Get CTP insurance. In Tasmania, this essential third party liability cover is built into your car registration costs each renewal.
- Choose your damage cover. Getting the right vehicle damage cover on top of your CTP insurance delivers an important level of protection.
- Compare and buy online. Compare car insurance online to see policies side by side, and purchase your cover online for additional discounts.
What types of car insurance can I get in Tasmania?
CTP insurance covers you against medical costs in the event of a car accident, but will not pay for property damage or other expenses you are liable for. This is what the other types of car insurance are for.
The right policy for you is one that finds a balance between cost and protection.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft only||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability: Personal liability expenses are the result of damaging someone else’s property, such as a house or car, in the course of an accident. Every type of car insurance, except CTP, typically covers this.
- Protection for your car: Depending on your policy type, you’ll get a different type of protection for your car. Personal liability expenses are covered by all policy types, car theft and fire damage are covered only by two of the three policy types, and only comprehensive car insurance provides cover for a wide range of damage, including storms, flooding and more.
How much will it cost me?
The cost of car insurance in Tasmania is based on the same factors as in the rest of the country. The more likely you are to make a claim, the higher your premiums will be, which includes consideration of factors such as age, driving record and what type of car you have.
- Tasmania has some of the lowest average car insurance prices in Australia
Rounded average annual cost of comprehensive car insurance, for recent model cars, in Tasmania
|State||Average Monthly Cost|
|New South Wales||$160.54|
- Stamp duty: Different financial services, including car insurance, are taxed at different levels around Australia. In Tasmania, the stamp duty tax is 10% of premiums paid. This is typically added to the cost.
According to the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council (NMVTRC), Tasmania in 2017 had 8.3% more car thefts than 2016. The total of cars stolen was 1,298. Looking back to 2013, Tasmania has had a steadily increasing problem with car crime.
85.6% of vehicles stolen were Passenger/light commercial vehicles. 9.4% were motorcycles.
Worst locations in Tasmania for motor vehicle theft
The Tasmanian places where thieves were most active are:
- Launceston (341)
- Glenorchy (233 - had a 23.9% increase over 2016)
- Clarence (150)
- Hobart (143)
- Brighton Municipality (83)
When are thefts most likely to happen?
Tasmanian thieves appeared to operate mostly on Friday evenings between 20:00 and 23:59. Also, Sunday evenings during the same time period experienced a lot of thefts.
Tasmania top 5 most stolen vehicles
Tasmanian crooks generally favoured cars produced in the 1990s. The top five most stolen models were:
- The Nissan Pulsar N15 - 1995-2000 model years
- The Toyota Hilux - 1998 to 2004 model year
- Ford Courier PD - 1996-1999 production years
- Nissan Patrol GQ - 1988 - 1997
- Nissan Patrol GY - From 1997 onwards
Two-thirds of thefts typically fell into the $0-$5,000 price band. After that, 18% were in the $5,000 to $10,000 price range.
What car insurers can I access in Tasmania?
Australia Post offers more ways to find the right balance of affordability and cover, with valuable add-ons built into appropriate policies, like rental vehicle hire following theft, with fire and theft policies.
If you want ways to get more cover without breaking the bank, Australia Post car insurance may have the options to suit.
For a car insurance policy to use, rather than to merely have, QBE may have the right options for you, such as excess-free windscreen and glass protection, a protected no-claim bonus you can retain in the event of an accident and cover for personal effects kept in the car. All QBE car insurance policies will also let you choose your own repairer for more peace of mind.
QBE car insurance can be a good option for people who want to get more use out of their policy, or want options focused on delivering value without compromising cover.
Insurers calculate premiums based on how likely you are to make a claim. As such, one of the key ways an insurer can keep costs down is by only insuring safer drivers. This is what Budget Direct does. By maintaining these eligibility requirements, it can reduce overheads and pass the savings onto you.
For safe drivers, or those who want to be able to opt out of many potentially unwanted extras, Budget Direct car insurance policies may be able to help you get more value for money.
A customisable policy is one thing, but meaningful customisation that can help make a policy uniquely yours is something else. Youi aims to offer more value and less hassle by making customisation an easier part of the process, and by offering straightforward opt-in and opt-out options to let you quickly tailor your cover.
Budget conscious buyers may be able to reduce costs by opting out of extras, while those who are looking for a higher level of protection can take advantage of Youi opt-in features instead.
Woolworths is willing to match competitor’s prices for comprehensive car insurance, making it an attractive option for those who are switching car insurance. All you need to do is provide a written quote from a competitor, for an equivalent policy, and Woolworths can tell you whether or not it can be beat. In addition to this, there are a range of other benefits and discounts for people who want to take advantage of special offers, as well as effective car insurance policies of all types.
Woolworths car insurance may a good choice for people who are willing to hunt for discounts to get added value from car insurance, or otherwise want to earn additional rewards.
With two different comprehensive car insurance policies, as well as both liability and damage policies, Virgin Money has wide-ranging options to better suit more people. Existing Virgin customers may also be able to access more rewards and other bonuses by holding policies with Virgin Money.
For a comprehensive car insurance policy with only the most essential features and none of the unwanted extras, Virgin Money might be the only provider able to offer that option. Existing Virgin customers may also consider Virgin Money car insurance to access rewards and discounts.