The number of drivers in Tassie is increasing faster than anywhere else in the country. Car insurance can protect your vehicle from the increased risk that comes along with it.
When you’re insured, you’re protected from those unpredictable moments no matter who’s at fault. That kid who’s going around keying cars? The sudden hailstorm? The roo who jumps out in front of your car? Car insurance is that best mate that helps you out - day and night.
Compare comprehensive policies from Australian brands
What types of car insurance can I get in Tasmania?
CTP insurance covers you against medical costs in the event of a car accident, but will not pay for property damage or other expenses you are liable for. This is what the other types of car insurance are for.
The right policy for you is one that finds a balance between cost and protection.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft only||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability: Personal liability expenses are the result of damaging someone else’s property, such as a house or car, in the course of an accident. Every type of car insurance, except CTP, typically covers this.
- Protection for your car: Depending on your policy type, you’ll get a different type of protection for your car. Personal liability expenses are covered by all policy types, car theft and fire damage are covered only by two of the three policy types, and only comprehensive car insurance provides cover for a wide range of damage, including storms, flooding and more.
According to the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council (NMVTRC), Tasmania in 2017 had 8.3% more car thefts than 2016. The total of cars stolen was 1,298. Looking back to 2013, Tasmania has had a steadily increasing problem with car crime.
85.6% of vehicles stolen were Passenger/light commercial vehicles. 9.4% were motorcycles.
Worst locations in Tasmania for motor vehicle theft
The Tasmanian places where thieves were most active are:
- Launceston (341)
- Glenorchy (233 - had a 23.9% increase over 2016)
- Clarence (150)
- Hobart (143)
- Brighton Municipality (83)
When are thefts most likely to happen?
Tasmanian thieves appeared to operate mostly on Friday evenings between 20:00 and 23:59. Also, Sunday evenings during the same time period experienced a lot of thefts.
Tasmania top 5 most stolen vehicles
Tasmanian crooks generally favoured cars produced in the 1990s. The top five most stolen models were:
- The Nissan Pulsar N15 - 1995-2000 model years
- The Toyota Hilux - 1998 to 2004 model year
- Ford Courier PD - 1996-1999 production years
- Nissan Patrol GQ - 1988 - 1997
- Nissan Patrol GY - From 1997 onwards
Two-thirds of thefts typically fell into the $0-$5,000 price band. After that, 18% were in the $5,000 to $10,000 price range.
How much will it cost me?
The cost of car insurance in Tasmania is based on the same factors as in the rest of the country. The more likely you are to make a claim, the higher your premiums will be, which includes consideration of factors such as age, driving record and what type of car you have.
- Tasmania has some of the lowest average car insurance prices in Australia
We analysed quotes from 38 car insurance companies and found the average cost for a comprehensive car insurance policy in Tasmania for 4 personas .
Rounded average annual cost of comprehensive car insurance, for recent model cars, in Tasmania
|State||Average Monthly Cost|
|New South Wales||$160.54|
- Stamp duty: Different financial services, including car insurance, are taxed at different levels around Australia. In Tasmania, the stamp duty tax is 10% of premiums paid. This is typically added to the cost.