We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Royal Automobile Club, better known as RAC, is a membership-based organisation in Western Australia offering car insurance and other services to its members.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RAC Car Insurance website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
What cover options does RAC offer?
RAC offers the three main types of car insurance:
- Comprehensive car insurance: Cover for third party liability, fire, theft and other damage to your car. Includes a wide range of other benefits.
- Third party fire and theft: Cover for third party liability, fire, theft and a limited amount of damage to your vehicle by uninsured drivers. Includes a limited range of other benefits.
- Third party property damage: Cover for third party liability, and a limited amount of damage to your vehicle by uninsured drivers. Includes few other benefits.
|Comprehensive car insurance||Third party fire & theft||Third party property damage|
|Own car damage cover||Full||Fire, theft and uninsured motorist only||Uninsured motorist only|
|Legal liability for property damage|
|Agreed value available|
|Automatic accessories cover|
|Hire car after theft|
|Travel and accommodation costs|
|Lost or damaged personal belongings|
|New car replacement|
|Lost or stolen keys|
|No-claim bonus discount|
|Windscreen and window glass|
|Protected no-claim bonus|
|Hire car after accident|
Are there any additional benefits?
With all three policy types, and in line with policy terms and conditions, RAC can:
- Cover other people to drive your car, even if they’re not listed on the policy
- Offer a lifetime guarantee on repairs to your car, carried out by approved RAC mechanics
- Offer two weeks of temporary cover for a new car that replaces an old one. This is so you don’t have a break in cover when changing vehicles
Are there any discounts?
You may be able to find a range of discounts with RAC, including a no-claim discount. Your no-claim discount is not affected by:
- Accidents where you are found not to be at fault, if you can provide the at-fault driver’s name, registration number and contact details
- Claims for damage to your car’s windscreen, sunroof or window glass only
If you choose the optional “protected no-claim bonus” with comprehensive car insurance, you may keep your no-claim bonus following an at-fault claim.
What exclusions should I be aware of?
RAC will not cover:
- Drivers who have had their licence cancelled, suspended, disqualified or placed under special conditions in the last three years
- Drivers who have been convicted of a criminal offence related to theft, fraud, arson, criminal damage or illicit drugs in the last three years
- Drivers who have had car insurance declined, withdrawn, cancelled or its renewal refused in the last three years
- Drivers who have been informed that their ability is impaired by medical conditions
- Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or who refuse to submit for testing when requested by police
- Loss or damage to goods, tools or samples connected to your work or other trade
RAC will also not cover damage or loss resulting from:
- Mechanical, structural, electrical failures or computer-related defects or breakdowns
- Sparks, ashes or carbon from your car
- Depreciation, wear and tear, rust or corrosion
- A car being left unattended with the keys inside it
- Failure to take reasonable care to protect your keys, your car and its contents
- Anything nuclear or radioactive, or related to war, terrorism, invasions, rebellions, revolutions or similar
- Racing, trials, endurance or skills tests, regardless of whether or not you were competing in an event
Your car may not be covered:
- On a racetrack, circuit or arena, except while participating in a commercial safe driving course under trained instruction
- While a vehicle is overloaded or not operated in line with manufacturer recommendations
- While being used recklessly, illegally or for hire or reward. RAC won’t cover you for Uber driving or other paid ridesharing. You may need to get specialised rideshare car insurance for this
How much does RAC car insurance cost?
The cost of your car insurance includes your premiums (regular costs) and excess (the amount you’ll need to pay in the event of a claim).
No excess is payable if you can prove that you were not at fault for an accident and can provide the at-fault party’s name, vehicle registration number and contact details.
More than one excess may be payable, including your base excess, an age-related excess, an excess related to specific drivers and others.
Your premium is affected by factors including:
- Your excess
- The make and model of your car
- Who will be driving your car and their insurance history
- Where you live
- Government charges
- Discounts available to you
- RAC’s operating costs
You can pay premiums monthly, six-monthly or annually.
How to make a claim
Contact RAC to make a claim. In order to process it, RAC may request information including:
- Contact details of anyone involved, including witnesses
- Registration numbers of involved vehicles
- Proof of ownership of damaged or stolen property
- Documents, receipts and other items related to the property or claim
- Written statements if requested
How to cancel RAC car insurance
If you're not happy with your current RAC car insurance policy, you are able to cancel it over the phone. Call 13 17 03 to terminate your policy. You can't currently cancel your RAC car insurance policy online.
To ensure you don't miss out on the best deals, compare providers before you purchase your next policy. Find a new car insurer.
More guides on Finder
Farm insurance can provide the protection Australian farmers need. It can include ✓ building insurance ✓ crop insurance ✓ livestock insurance
2021 Kia Sportage Review
In 2020, the Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-5 and Nissan X-Trail all outsold the Kia Sportage. That's not to say this is a bad car; in fact, the motoring media reviewed it favourably.
Boost your 2021 tax return: Top tips for a bigger refund
It's tax time! Finder's money writers share their tips to claim deductions on everything from your home office, car and insurance to your mortgage.
2021 MG HS Review
MG's HS is a convincing mid-size SUV. It offers undeniable value, a well-designed interior, ample practicality and is a genuinely attractive car from the still fledgling brand.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
Why are more Aussies switching insurance since COVID-19?
Since COVID-19, millions of Aussies have switched home and car insurance providers – learn why and you could save up to $2,643.
Mouse plague not covered by home insurance, with one or two exceptions
We found 3 policies that will cover you if mice cause fire or water damage.
Business car loans
If you're after a business car, compare your vehicle finance and car loan options and get your business on the road.
Ask an Expert