Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance Review
With Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance, you'll get a competitive first year policy discount of 15% if you buy online.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance is the only policy from Budget Direct that covers your own car against accidental damage – whether you've run up the back of someone, or a nasty hail storm has decided to smash up your car. Other benefits include the choice of your own repairer, and more.
- Budget Direct's most comprehensive policy goes that bit further than the brand's other two policies. For one, your car will be covered against accidental damage. You'll also get a new vehicle if yours is written off in its first two years, or if there's fewer than 40,000km on the clock.
- The 15% online discount on your first year's premium looks generous against some of the competition – Coles offer 10%.
- You'll need to add emergency roadside assistance on to your policy; Youi offers this as standard in its comprehensive plan.
Review by our car insurance senior writer James Martin
How does Budget Direct's Comprehensive policy stack up?
What am I covered for?
- Cover for accidental damage. Budget Direct comprehensive car insurance provides cover if your car is damaged as a result of a collision, storm, flood, hail, attempted theft or malicious act. This includes cover for the cost of recovering, towing and storing your car if it is unsafe to drive as a result of the damage.
- Cover for fire and theft. If your vehicle is stolen or catches fire, this policy pays up to the sum insured for your car. Budget Direct also provides cover for the cost of recovering, towing and storing your car if it is unsafe to drive as a result of the damage.
- Agreed or market value cover. You can cover your car for its current market value or another amount you agree upon with the insurer.
- New car replacement. If you write off your car in the first two years or if you have driven it less than 40,000 kilometres, Budget Direct will replace it with a new vehicle.
- Emergency transport and accommodation. If Budget Direct accepts a claim for damage to your car, you'll be covered for the cost of emergency transport and accommodation costs when necessary.
- Hire car after theft. Budget Direct will arrange a car hire for you if your car is stolen.
- $500 personal effects cover. If your car is involved in a collision, your policy will provide up to $500 for the repair or replacement of personal effects that were in your car at the time of the collision. Budget Direct will also reimburse you for the loss of personal effects that were in your car when it was stolen.
- $1,000 cover for replacement keys. If your car keys or your vehicle’s remote locking device are stolen, the policy provides $1,000 worth of cover for their replacement and the recoding of locks.
- $1,000 trailer cover. If your trailer or caravan is damaged in a collision, Budget Direct comprehensive car insurance provides up to $1,000 of cover to repair the damage.
- $20 million legal liability cover. The policy provides $20 million of cover for any legal liability arising from the use of your car.
What additional options should I consider?
There are several additional options you can include with your Budget Direct comprehensive car insurance policy:
- Restricted driver discounts. By restricting the youngest driver of your car to the age of 21, 25, 30 or 40, you can access a cheaper premium.
- Maximum no-claim discount protection. Under this option, you can make one claim on your policy a year (or two claims over a three-year period) without impacting your maximum no-claim discount.
- Roadside assistance. Budget Direct’s roadside assistance ensures that you’re never stranded if your car breaks down, your battery goes flat or you suffer a flat tyre.
- Windscreen excess reduction. You can reduce the excess payable for windscreen damage claims by agreeing to pay a higher premium.
- Accident hire car benefit. If your car is being repaired after an accident, this option provides you with access to a hire car until your own vehicle is back on the road.
Are there any exclusions I should be aware of?
Budget Direct will not pay your comprehensive car insurance claim if your car was:
- Being used by any household member not listed on your certificate of insurance.
- Being driven by anyone specifically excluded from cover.
- Being driven by someone who does not hold a valid licence or permit to drive in Australia.
- Being driven by someone under the influence of alcohol or any other drug.
- Being used to carry passengers or other people’s goods for payment.
- Being used for the unpaid tuition of a driver excluded from cover.
- Being used in connection with the motor trade (other than servicing or repairing).
- Being used for racing, trials, tests, contests, rallies.
- Being used for any unlawful purpose.
- Being driven in any unsafe, unroadworthy or overloaded condition.
- Being used to carry explosive, flammable or toxic goods.
- You did not go with your car when it was shown for sale and it was stolen.
- The driver of your car did not remain at the scene of an accident when they were required by law to do so.
- For any reduction in the value of the car following repair.
- For tyre damage caused by punctures, cuts or bursts.
- For consequential loss of any kind.
- It is caused by wear and tear, abuse, corrosion, rust or depreciation.
- It is caused by mechanical, structural or electrical breakdown, malfunction or failure.
- It is for loss, damage or liability deliberately caused by any insured person or someone acting on their behalf.
- It is caused by the lawful repossession or confiscation of your vehicle.
- It is caused by cleaning, modifying, repairing or restoring the car.
- It arises because you used the incorrect type of fuel.
Other things to know about Budget Direct's Comprehensive policy
- The insurer. Budget Direct comprehensive car insurance is issued by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited.
- Excesses payable. A basic excess applies to all claims under your Budget comprehensive car insurance policy. Additional excesses apply to under 25s, those who haven't held their driver's licence for at least 2 years, and people who aren't listed as a driver.
- Flexible excess. You can choose a higher basic excess and receive a lower premium in return.
- Online discount. 15% discount on your first year's premium for a new policy purchased online
- 21-day cooling-off period. Budget Direct comprehensive car insurance features a 21-day cooling-off period. This means you can cancel your policy within the first 21 days and receive a full refund of any premium you have paid.
- Premium payment options. You can pay your Budget Direct car insurance premiums by direct debit, credit card and PayPal. You can pay premiums annually or by instalments.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. All repairs that are authorised by the insurer are guaranteed for as long as you own the car.
- 24/7 claims service. You can make a claim on your Budget Direct policy 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can make a claim either online or over the phone.
More guides on Finder
Mobile plans are now more expensive, but here’s a hack to save $200 a year
Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone keep raising their prices even as the rest of the market is more affordable than ever.
Prime Day VR gaming deal: $60 off the Oculus Quest 2
Amazon is selling the standalone Oculus Quest 2 virtual-reality headset for $432.12. You can also score $77 off the 256GB version.
Barefoot Investor: How to watch Scott Pape’s Money Movement docu-series online
This fresh docu-series features the one and only Barefoot Investor.
Prime Day’s best health and fitness deals: Garmin, FitBit, PranaOn
Stocking up on your favourite supplements or adding to your home gym, Amazon has got you covered with these red-hot offers.
Amazon Prime Day’s best camera deals: Nikon, Panasonic and more
DSLR, digital, polaroids, lenses and accessories - these are the best camera deals Amazon has to offer this Prime Day.
Biggest Amazon Prime Day discounts: 75% off games + heaps more
Top offers so far include 75% off games, 68% off tech and 38% off alcohol.
Jetstar sale offers new route to “Australia’s most beautiful coastlines”
You have to be quick, these fares are gone with the strike of midnight.
Kobo Elipsa review: An eReader and eNote 2-in-1
The Kobo Elipsa makes a valiant attempt to bridge the gap between eReader and eNote. It doesn’t manage to excel at being one or the other as its big for an eReader, and slow for an eNote.
Amazon Prime Day: Best board game offers on Hasbro, MONOPOLY, Jenga
From children to teens and adults, Amazon has got you covered with these awesome board game deals.
Ask an Expert