2019 Finder Award winners revealed. Get the best for you.
American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance
Feel safe and secure when you rent a car overseas with American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance.
Hiring a rental vehicle when you travel is a common part of many holidays, as it allows you the freedom to explore at your own pace, without being tied to public transport timetables, let alone being held up by unfamiliar systems, ticketing and routes. Your rental vehicle is instead your ticket to creating your own dream holiday and pursuing whatever adventures and opportunities cross your path.
You may also prefer to hire your own car when you travel for business too, rather than relying on colleagues or taxis to guide you around your host city. You are able to arrive and depart exactly when and where you need to, which can be very valuable when you are ready to escape a cocktail party or if you are determined to arrive on time every time, delayed by no one.
Receive a Quote for AMEX Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance
Who Underwrites American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance?
American Express Travel Insurance is issued and underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL No. 239687
Of course as soon as you borrow something which isn’t yours, the original owner wants some reassurance it will be returned in its original condition and rental vehicles are no different. Your hire car agreement will include an insurance excess which is payable if you damage the vehicle or it is stolen while in your care. As valuable as a hire car is, there is little you can do to avoid accidents and vandalism and while it’s easy to think that it won’t happen to you, the rental vehicle insurance excess is often quite a significant amount.
How can I access this cover?
All inclusive with American Express Multi-Trip policies
All American Express annual multi-trip policies include rental vehicle excess cover as a complimentary feature, to pay the insurance excess for you, if your rental vehicle is stolen, crashed or damaged. Your American Express rental vehicle excess cover also includes a benefit to help you pay for the return of the rental vehicle to the hire company, if you are unable to do this yourself.
Rental vehicle excess cover is included in all American Express multi-trip policies, which include:
- Multi-trip - Australia Domestic: is a 12-month renewable policy which allows you to take an unlimited number of journeys during your insurance period without applying for travel insurance each time. The maximum length of any one journey is 60 days. The Australia Domestic multi trip policy is only available as single cover.
- Multi-trip - Worldwide: is also a 12-month renewable policy with cover for unlimited journeys, where the maximum period of 60 days. With worldwide cover you have the choice of a single or family policy.
Optional cover with other American Express Travel Insurance plans
Rental Vehicle Excess Cover is also available as an optional cover with the following plans:
- Comprehensive single trip cover (international)
- Snow cover
- Golf cover
American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance as a standalone travel insurance policy
You can also take out Rental Vehicle Excess Cover as a separate policy depending on the nature of your travel arrangements. This cover is only available for one return trip and you have the option to choose a single or family plan.
Features of the Rental Vehicle Excess plan
Key features of rental vehicle excess insurance cover from American Express include:
- Rental vehicle excess: If a vehicle you have rented from a rental company is damaged or involved in an accident while you are driving or is stolen during your hire term, American Express travel insurance reimburses you the cost of the rental vehicle excess, or the cost to repair the vehicle, whichever is less. The rental vehicle excess insurance is not replacing rental vehicle insurance and the benefit only provides cover for the amount of the excess.
- Returning your rental vehicle: Your American Express rental vehicle excess insurance will also pay a benefit of up to $500 to pay for the return of your rental vehicle to the nearest depot if you are certified in writing by a medical adviser that you are unfit to return the vehicle yourself.
- Eligible claim conditions: American Express will not pay a claim on your rental vehicle excess insurance if the damage to the vehicle occurs when you are in violation of the rental agreement, you are affected by drugs or alcohol, or you don’t have the necessary licenses for the vehicle.
- Up to $3,000 benefit: Your travel insurance will pay a benefit of up to $3,000 to cover your rental vehicle excess on a single or family American Express travel insurance policy.
Am I eligible for cover?
You are eligible to apply for American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance cover if you are:
- An Australian resident;
- Under the age of 80 at the time of application;
- Purchasing the policy prior to the commencement of your journey;
- Starting and ending your trip in Australia.
When you choose a rental vehicle as part of your travel experience, you rely on it to guide you to where you want and need to go and be an anchor for your explorations in a new city or country. Therefore, you don’t want this important travel resource to turn nasty on you when you have to fork out for an insurance excess in the event of an accident or theft. Instead, make sure you save your emergency holiday fund for bigger emergencies – or better yet, keep it in tact until you return home – with rental vehicle excess cover as part of your American Express travel insurance policy.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert