No gap dental check-ups and seven extras insurance plans to choose from with ahm.
ahm, as part of Medibank, is dedicated to making health insurance simple, effective and affordable for all Australians. Extras plans can help round out your policy by covering a range of ancillary costs, letting you claim more back and helping you stay in great shape for years to come.
Compare more health insurance options
What extras covers are available?
ahm offers seven different extras packages, outlined below:
- Black 50/60/70. These packages, as their names imply, offer 50/60/70% back on basic dental and other therapies. By upgrading, you get a few more services included, like complex dental procedures. There is also a Black 70 Boost plan which covers even more services. All of the Black plans offer 100% back on optical items up to the annual limit.
- Lifestyle and family. Adds a few options like psychology and hypnotherapy on top of the Black 70 plan. Family is similar, but includes therapies (eye, occupational, speech) for the whole family.
- Super. ahm's most comprehensive extras cover, covering most therapies and services you'd expect.
|Dental - routine|
|Dental complex + major|
|Laser eye surgery|
|Post-operative and medical aids|
Other benefits of ahm Extras Cover
In addition to the benefits outlined above, you'll also receive the following with ahm:
- No gap dental check-ups. You'll be covered for 100% of your routine dental check-ups until your annual limit.
- Loyalty rewards. You'll receive increased claiming limits for certain extras after you've been with ahm for 5, 10 and 20 continuous years.
- Provider choice. You pick who you receive treatment from. Ahm will cover you as long as they're a recognised provider.
- No waiting periods for some items. Most included extras have no waiting period, so you can start claiming the moment you take out cover.
- Health improvement. You can claim money back for 'health improvement' items like sunscreen and swimming lessons on Black 70 and above.
How do the costs work?
For ahm extras cover, you will receive a percentage back on covered services, depending on your level of cover. This percentage will be 50, 60, or 70% with a Black 50, Black 60, or Black 70 plan. For higher levels of cover, ahm should cover 100% of the cost, up to your annual limit for that extra. All plans offer 100% back on optical items and routine dental check-ups to your annual limit.
Your only out-of-pocket costs will be any gap between what ahm covers and the cost of the service.
Waiting periods and limitations
ahm will allow you to claim for any recognised provider in Australia. After taking out your extras cover, you will be subject to the following waiting periods:
- None. For optical appliances, general dental, osteopathy, chiropractics, natural therapies, psychology, occupational therapy, orthoptics, podiatry services, prenatal services, health improvement benefits, medical aids, pharmacy and more, depending on your chosen level of cover.
- 1 day. For emergency ambulance.
- 12 months. For orthodontics, podiatric surgery, orthotics, hearing aids, and others.
- 2 years. For laser eye surgery.
- 2 months. For all other services.
How to make a claim
You can claim on the spot at providers so long as you have your ahm membership card. If you have already paid for the service, you can submit your claim online or mail in a claim form.