Learn more about ahm extras policies and find cover to suit your needs.
ahm, as part of Medibank, is dedicated to making health insurance simple, effective and affordable for all Australians. Extras plans can help round out your policy by covering a range of ancillary costs, letting you claim more back and helping you stay in great shape for years to come.
What extras plans does ahm offer?
You can choose from five levels of cover, with the lowest starting from just a few dollars a week. All policies include unlimited ambulance cover except in Queensland and Tasmania where state schemes already cover it.
- Black 50 Saver: You can claim 50% back on a range of five important extras. *starts at $3.30 per week
- Black 60 Extras: You can get 60% back on nine treatments, including major and complex dental. *starts at $8.10 per week
- Lifestyle Extras: With 17 alternative and complementary therapies, 15 different services covered in total and waived waiting periods for routine dental and other benefits, this policy might be the policy you’ve been waiting for. Flat costs are covered, up to 100% in some cases. *starts at $12.50 per week
- Family Extras: This policy comes with family-sized limits and covers 24 services, including a wide range of dental cover, such as orthodontics, as well as optical, physio, pharmacy and much more. *starts at $13.50
- Super Extras: This is the top level of ahm ancillary health cover. It includes a full range of 28 extras, including laser eye surgery, dietetics, orthotics, medical aids, the all-important full dental and much more. *starts at $20.05 per month
*Pricing is based on a single male planning to live and work in the State of New South Wales in April 2018.
The Black 50 Saver includes the following:
- Routine dental
By upgrading to Black 60, you also get important additions like complex and major dental as well as optical cover.
Other plans can cover a much wider range of extras, including but not limited to the following:
- Laser eye surgery
- Health improvement items
- Alternative therapies
- Pharmacy, including general items like hormonal implants and vaccinations
- Psychology and hypnotherapy
- Speech therapy
- Eye therapy
- Orthotics and orthopaedic shoes
- Hearing aids
- Post-operative and medical aids
Are there any additional benefits?
- There are no waiting periods for select benefits.
- The policy includes flat amount benefits and up to 100% back on extras with Lifestyle and higher level plans.
- You get loyalty rewards after holding the policy for 5, 10 and 20 years.
- You can choose your own extras treatment providers from any licensed practitioner recognised by ahm.
- There is a 30-day cooling off period letting you get your premiums refunded if you change your mind and haven’t made any claims.
- You can get cover for health improvement items, including sunscreen, swimwear, swimming lessons and quit smoking courses.
Limitations, waiting periods and excess
You cannot claim benefits from providers not recognised by ahm or those not registered to practice in Australia. Some items may require a referral from a qualified practitioner. The following waiting periods also apply and can vary depending on the level of cover you hold.
- None: Optical appliances, general dental, osteopathy, chiropractics, natural therapies, psychology, occupational therapy, orthoptics, podiatry services, prenatal services, health improvement benefits, medical aids, pharmacy and more, depending on your chosen level of cover.
- 1 day: Emergency ambulance
- 12 months: Orthodontics, podiatric surgery, orthotics, hearing aids and others
- 6 months: Optical appliances with Black 60 Extras.
- 2 years: Laser eye surgery
- 2 months: All other services
How do I make a claim?
You can claim extras on the spot with your ahm membership card as long as the providers utilize the electronic claiming service. If you’ve already paid for the service, you can submit a claim online or mail in a form.
For services that you haven’t paid for yet, you can fill in a claim form and mail it along with your bill to your fund. The fund will send you a cheque payable to the service provider. Services are claimable if the following criteria are met:
- It was performed by an ahm recognised service provider.
- It was done less than two years ago.
- You have an original receipt or invoice, or you have sent it to ahm.
- Your claim is not payable or subsidised by another third party.
- It’s within the terms of the policy waiting periods and any exclusions which may apply.