AAMI vs NRMA Car Insurance
NRMA or AAMI car insurance? We've reviewed them so you can make a decision easier.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
AAMI is one of the most popular car insurance brands in Australia, while NRMA has a strong reputation in NSW, ACT, QLD, and TAS where it operates. You know what features matter to you, so we've picked out the benefits included in each policy to make choosing easier.
What differences are there between AAMI car insurance and NRMA?
NRMA car insurance and AAMI have a few differences that might make one better than the other for you:
- NRMA only operates in NSW, ACT, QLD, and TAS. NRMA car insurance is not available in some parts of Australia such as Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory. If you live in any of these states, AAMI is available everywhere.
- Want a hire car after any incident? With NRMA's Comprehensive Plus policy, if an incident NRMA cover causes loss or damage to your vehicle, they'll pay you up to $100 a day for a hire car until it's repaired, returned or written off. With AAMI's comprehensive policy, (like NRMA's equivalent policy), you'll have to get this as an add-on.
- NRMA protects your tools. If you're a tradesperson, you can get cover for 'tools of trade' with both NRMA comprehensive policies, covering you for up to $1,500. AAMI exclude cover for tools from their policy.
- Policy options. AAMI provides Comprehensive and Third Party Property Damage with Fire and Theft as an optional add on. NRMA provides 4 options, Comprehensive Plus, Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft and Third Party Property.
- Personal property (including your phone with AAMI). NRMA will pay up to $1000 in total to repair or replace your personal items if they're stolen from your car. Excluded items include mobiles phones and cash. AAMI has the same limit you can claim for but does not exclude mobile phones in their product disclosure statement.
- Lose your keys a lot? NRMA covers you, but you need to pay an excess. If someone steals the keys to your vehicle during the policy period, NRMA will pay this benefit on top of any excess that applies. For example, if your excess is $695 and the cost to replace your locks is $1,500, then they will pay you $805. This is only covered as an add-on with AAMI.
How do both brands compare?
|About the provider||AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network. They claim that this will give you "access to our trusted partner network for claims", and that "you can access simple, great value Suncorp banking products to help you spend and save better".||The National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) is an Australian organisation offering roadside assistance, car servicing, International Driving Permits, insurance and more in NSW and the ACT.|
|Underwriter||AAI Limited||IAG (Insurance Australia Group)|
|State served||Australia-wide.||New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.|
|Products available||Comprehensive & Third Party Property Damage (Fire and Theft optional add on)||Comprehensive Plus, Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft, Third Party Property Only|
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft||$1,000 - Up to 21 days||Up to $75 a day for a hire car for up to 21 days|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs||$1,000||Not stated|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement||Optional with roadside assistance||$1,000|
|Trailer and caravan cover||$1,000||$1,000|
|No claim discount|
|Pay annually and save|
What perks do AAMI and NRMA car insurance offer?
Here are some of the main benefits available with Youi and AAMI car insurance policies:
- You can get AAMI Roadside Assistance for free for one year when you sign up to a comprehensive car insurance policy and there's a 25% discount for drivers who don't make a claim on their AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance policy that impacts their Safe Driver Rewards status for 9 years+.
- Vary your excess to save on your premium with AAMI. You can choose to increase your excess to lower your premium.
- AAMI provides up to 15% credit for drivers who don't claim on their AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance policy that impacts their Safe Driver Rewards status for 10 years+.
- With NRMA, you can add an option that allows you to make one claim per year even if it is your fault without losing your No Claim Bonus.
- AAMI takes 10% off your premium when a listed driver under the age of 25 has completed their one-day driver course.
- Both NRMA and AAMI allow you to add an option that stops you from having to pay an excess if you need to pay for glass damage.
Who is the underwriter for AAMI and NRMA?
AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network and also provides insurance through Bingle, GIO, Apia and Shannons. AAI Limited underwrite AAMI insurance.
NRMA Insurance is part of the Insurance Australian Group (IAG) and has businesses in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. IAG operates some of Australia's most well-known insurance brands including Swann Insurance, SGIC, SGIO and CGU.
More guides on Finder
Six of the best electric cars in Australia
Here are some of the best electric cars in Australia in 2021.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
Fixtures and fittings: Why they matter in home insurance
Knowing the difference between fixtures and fittings can help you decide which home insurance policy is right for you.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
What is malicious damage?
Protect your home from the costs of malicious damage with home insurance. Compare policies in just minutes and get peace of mind.
Car-ching: Ute and SUV drivers are spending an extra $4,500 each year
Australians could be paying thousands of dollars more than necessary to keep their car running, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Ask an Expert