Japan travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Japan from over 11+ brands
Why do I need travel insurance in Japan?
- It can cover you for emergency medical treatment.
- It can cover medical expenses caused by injuries and accidents, unless it's from an excluded activity.
- It can pay for transport to hospital by helicopter or ambulance, as well as medical evacuations back to Australia.
- If you're renting a car in Japan, make sure you have car rental excess cover.
- Theft can occur in Japan. Travel insurance can cover you for lost or stolen valuables. This could include rings, necklaces, phones and watches.
- Terrorism is a risk in Japan. A few insurers provide cover for medical and hospital expenses caused by an act of terrorism, including the cost of bringing you back home.
Japan travel insurance: Common exclusions
Every travel insurance policy has things you won't be covered for. Common exclusions include:
- If you purchase cover after the incident has occurred. For example, if you take cover out after you've been injured and need medical attention.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. If you have any major medical conditions, make sure you let your insurer know before taking out a policy. Otherwise you won't be covered for claims related to that condition.
- You travel despite government travel advice. For example, if you travel to areas that have a warning from Smartraveller, such as the restricted areas near the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, travel insurance may not cover you.
- Incidents that occur while you're under the influence of drugs or alcohol. For example, if you go out drinking in Tokyo, get injured and need medical attention, travel insurance won't cover you.
- Driving vehicles without a licence. Like Australia, you won't be covered for medical costs or personal liability expenses if you drive without a licence in Japan.
Will I be covered for COVID-19?
Travel insurance can cover you for COVID-19 in Japan. A policy can cover you for the following:
- Rearrangement costs if you catch the virus and need to change your plans. Lots of comprehensive travel insurance policies let you claim up to $5,000 towards these expenses.
- Medical costs due to COVID-19. This can include hospital expenses and RATs if you catch COVID-19 while overseas (but you won't be covered for mandatory PCRs).
- Expenses if you need to isolate. For example, if you catch COVID while you're overseas and need to push back your flight and stay in your accommodation longer.
How do I get cheap travel insurance for Japan?
- Medical only or basic policies will generally be the cheaper policies on the market.
- Use exclusive deals or promo codes to get a discount.
- Opt for a higher excess. This will make your policy cheaper but more expensive if you have to claim.
- Compare across a handful of travel insurers – they're not all the same.
- Get the most value by buying your policy early. It means you're covered for longer while paying the same price.
What do I do in emergencies?
For emergencies: call 110 (police), 119 (ambulance) or 119 (fire).
In a medical emergency, call for help and then contact your insurer on their emergency assistance line.
Meet our travel expert Angus Kidman
Angus Kidman is the international editor-at-large at Finder. He's an award-winning journalist, avid travel enthusiast and passionate frequent flyer. Angus appears regularly on Sunrise, Today, The Project, Seven News and other TV and radio shows to share his expert tips.
Angus's top Japan travel insurance tips
- Shop around - there are big differences in the costs of policies with similar inclusions.
- Wearing a mask in public if you have a cold is an expected courtesy in Japan - respect local customs if you do get ill.
- Take out insurance as soon as you book your trip - that maximises the value of your cover.
Why you can trust Finder's travel insurance experts
Our travel insurance engine is completely free to use. You pay the same as buying directly from the insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of travel insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped over one million people find travel insurance by explaining your options simply. We'll never ask for your number or email to see prices. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
FAQs about Japan
More guides on Finder
Bali travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Bali from 11+
Travel Insurance for Countries with Travel Warnings
If you’re planning to travel to a country that has high travel risks, learn how cover is and is not provided.
Netherlands travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Netherlands from 11+
Spain travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Spain from 11+
Working holiday travel insurance
Here's an in-depth look at working holiday travel insurance and some of the things you need to be aware of when you work in a foreign country.
Canada travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Canada from 11+
Long term travel insurance
Long term travel insurance is designed to meet the specific needs of travellers planning extended trips away, including backpackers and business travellers.
Best travel insurance for Europe: how to find a policy that works for you
Keep yourself and your belongings safe on your European escape by comparing insurance polices today.
Ask an Expert