shutterstock_84704209 (1)

Renter’s Contents Insurance

Living in a rental property? Protect your possessions and get liability coverage

Renter insurance, also known as tenant’s insurance, is a lot like contents insurance but for people who are renting their home. It does not cover damage to the building itself, as this is covered by the landlord. Less expensive policies may only provide cover for basic hazards, but it is possible to find renter’s insurance that includes liability coverage and more comprehensive protection for possessions. does not currently have access to this home insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the home insurance homepage.

Find contents insurance to protect your possessions while renting

Details Features
Gold Contents
Gold Contents
Save 20% on cover when you purchase a Gold Contents Insurance policy online.
  • Cover for your contents
  • Cover against theft, storm and rainwater, fire and more
  • Accidental breakage cover
  • Cover for uninsured guest contents up to $500
Go to site More info
Smart Contents Insurance
Smart Contents Insurance
Protect your possessions in the event of theft or natural disaster. Get a 20% discount when you purchase cover online
  • Cover for household contents
  • Cover for contents away from the insured address
  • Cover for fire, explosion, theft, malicious damage and more
  • Choice of lump sum or instalment payments
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Save 20% when you purchase cover online. Covers your possessions including furniture, appliances.
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • Includes fire, explosion and theft cover
  • Optional cover for accidental damage
  • Optional flood cover
Go to site More info
Contents Only
Contents Only
Save 20% and receive 5,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points when you purchase new Virgin Contents Insurance Price Saver online. T&Cs apply.
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • 21 day money back guarantee if a claim has not been made
  • Optional extras on offer
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Receive 20% off Dodo contents insurance when you purchase cover online.
  • New for old replacement cover
  • Automatically insured for fire, storm, rainwater and theft
  • Adjustment of sum insured at renewal
  • $20 million legal liability benefit cover
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Up to a 19% discount on policy if home is occupied day and night. Terms and conditions apply.
  • Cover for loss or damage by theft, attempted theft
  • Storm, including lightning, wind, hail and snow cover
  • Optional tools of trade cover up to $5,000
  • Optional accidental damage cover up to $5,000
Go to site More info
Comprehensive Contents Insurance
Comprehensive Contents Insurance
Price freeze your policy for up to two years plus receive 6000 bonus Woolworths rewards points. Terms and conditions apply.
  • $8,000 outdoor contents cover
  • $5,000 home contents cover
  • $1,000 food spoilage cover
  • $2,000 electrical motor burnout cover (optional)
Go to site More info

Types of renter’s insurance

Renter’s insurance can be divided into two main types:

  • Fire and theft. Widely available low-cost insurance that covers your belongings from fire and theft, the two most common types of damage for renters. This is a straightforward and affordable option, but will not cover anything other than fire and theft, and tends to have lower maximums.
  • Comprehensive cover. Expanded options for covering contents from a wider variety of hazards, and options for liability insurance. This lets you protect your belongings from risks other than fire and theft, while liability cover can pay portions of the legal and medical fees incurred if other parties are injured at the residence.

What does tenant’s insurance cover?

Renter’s insurance is comparable to home insurance in terms of what can be covered, and some policies include many of the same options. Because renter’s insurance only covers the contents of a home and not the building itself, there are different hazards to consider. For example, a hailstorm is more likely to damage the actual building rather than the furniture inside it, so it’s less important for a renter to get hail cover than it is for a homeowner or landlord.

Basic renters fire and theft insurance

CoverWhat it does
TheftCovers objects lost to theft, and potential damage to other belongings during the robbery.
FireOnly covers fire damage to belongings. Does not cover cigarette burns, scorch marks, etc.

More hazard cover

CoverWhat it does
StormCovers damage to possessions caused by wind, hail and other storm effects.
ImpactCovers possessions from direct impacts such as meteors, falling airplane parts or objects thrown from cars.
Malicious damageCovers vandalism and deliberate property damage caused by someone who does not live at the address.
Escape of liquidCovers possessions damaged by most types of leaks.
SmokeCovers smoke damage to possessions (items damaged by smoke but not burnt in a house fire).
FloodCovers belongings damaged or destroyed by an area flooding. Does not cover leaks.

Extra options

CoverWhat it does
Accidental damageCovers accidental damage caused by you to the landlord’s building and/or your contents.
Possessions outside the homeHas options to cover possessions stored outside (eg, garden furniture), contents in transit (eg, while moving house) or items typically carried around.
Electric motorsCovers electric motor burnouts of appliances in some circumstances. Generally excludes certain types of power surges such as those caused by lightning strike.
Temporary accommodationCovers the cost of temporary accommodation if you’re unable to live at the property.
LiabilityCovers legal and medical fees incurred by a visitor injuring themselves at your address.
Back to top

What cover should I get?

You should consider three things when deciding what cover you need:

  • Risk levels. Because renter’s insurance only needs to protect the contents of your home from damage it has a different risk profile to home insurance. Possessions are much less at risk of damage from storms, lightning, earthquakes and impacts than the building itself. However, there is still a possibility of these hazards causing damage, and you should decide whether or not you need protection from these.
  • Cost. Renter’s insurance offers a variety of low-cost options, most notably for fire and theft coverage. This is a cost-effective way of ensuring protection from the two most common hazards, but does not cover anything else. More complete cover means higher premiums. Renter insurance also tends to have lower limits, which contributes to lower rates.
  • Extras. Select extras based on your price and coverage needs. Liability, accidental damage and portable possessions cover are good options for expanding the cover available to you, but will incur higher premiums.

Things to avoid with renter’s insurance

There are several renter insurance pitfalls to avoid:

Incomplete cover. While basic fire and theft insurance can be cost-effective, it doesn’t offer complete cover from common risks. Floods, for example, are relatively common in some places and can cause even more damage to possessions than buildings. This makes it a popular inclusion in rental insurance. If you’re looking for more comprehensive renter’s insurance, additions like temporary accommodation, loss of income, portable contents and liability cover are available with some policies. Always check the limits, as these are usually relatively low for renter’s insurance and may not be enough for your needs.

Overpaying. If you have comprehensive renter’s insurance, but only need fire and theft, you can get better value from a basic fire and theft policy. Your premiums will usually increase over time, so it’s always a good idea to compare tenant’s insurance policies regularly. If you think your premiums are too high, shop around and find out how much similar options from elsewhere might cost.

Not updating your policy. Keeping your insurance company out of the loop when your circumstances change might mean you’re not covered for some losses. When purchasing cover, be aware of what is required from you when you move house. You can also look at updating your cover before you move house, for things like cover of belongings in transit.

Common questions about insurance for rental homes

Q. What does landlord’s insurance cover?

A. The landlord’s insurance policy is primarily for the building you are renting, and typically offers no cover for your possessions.

Q. Is renter’s insurance tax deductible?

A. Generally not, although it may be if you work from home, or if part of the rental property is exclusively dedicated to business.

Q. Do I really need renter’s insurance?

A. If you add up all of your possessions, including crockery, linen, clothing, appliances, electronics and everything else you own, it’s generally worth more than you think. If everything is lost, it will cost a lot to replace it. Fire is one of the few hazards that can completely destroy everything, and theft is a common and unpredictable risk so basic fire and theft insurance is strongly recommended at the least.

Q. Does renter’s insurance cover roommates?

A. Renter’s insurance covers everyone listed on the policy at that address but can also lead to difficulties. Your roommate is only covered if the policy clearly states so.

Q. Does theft insurance provide cover if my roommate steals something?

A. Generally not. Contents insurance of all kinds, including theft and vandalism, usually only applies to belongings stolen by someone who does not live at your address or was not invited into the home.

Q. Do students need renter’s insurance?

A. It depends on what you have at your living address and your ability to cover premiums. Universities explicitly take no responsibility for possessions kept in student accommodation, so the onus is on you. There are usually a lot of cost-effective options for students, and it is better to be safe than sorry, particularly if you’re dependent on things like a laptop that you can’t afford to replace.

Q. Should I get renter’s insurance extras or just the basics?

A. You need to weigh up the costs and the benefits. It can help to have an idea of the maximum you can pay for insurance, and the specific things that you must have covered. From there, compare all options that fulfill both needs and find the best among them.

Q. Should I also get liability insurance or just contents cover?

A. If you feel it is necessary then you should get it. You know best whether or not it is likely to be useful. However, if you work from home or otherwise operate a business from your rental property then it can prove extremely useful.

Back to topPicture: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question