Choose from three levels of extras cover if you're an employee in the transport and energy industries.
Railway and Transport (rt) health fund covers employees in transport and energy industries, plus their families. As a member-owned, not-for-profit fund, rt health's three levels of extras cover suits various needs and budgets.
Top 3 features
- Good for transport and energy workers and their relatives.
- Good for families.
- Beware if you need orthodontics, as only one policy covers it.
What rt health fund Extras Cover is available?
The three rt health extras options are:
- Value Extras: Basic and affordable starter cover for those who only occasionally need extra health services. This policy excludes major dental but includes good general dental and a range of commonly used specialist and alternative therapies.
- Smart Extras: Balanced mid-level cover ideal for singles, couples and families. Most annual benefits limits are available 'per membership' rather than 'per person'.
- Premium Extras: Comprehensive top cover great for people who use a lot of certain treatments or services. It's also rh health fund's only cover with orthodontics, so it works well for growing families.
|Value Extras||Smart Extras||Premium Extras|
|Chiropractic and osteopathy|
|Alternative and natural therapy consultations|
|Health services travel expenses|
|Health services accommodation expenses|
|Other health aids and appliances|
|Antenatal and postnatal nursing|
Other benefits of Railway and Transport Health Fund Extras Cover
rt health gives additional benefits beyond what's included in your plan, including cover for children on a family policy up to the age of 25.
rt health operates optical practices in Surry Hills, Sydney, and Newcastle where members can get:
- 40% off frames
- Medicare bulk-billed comprehensive eye exams
- Free digital retinal photography
- A range of designer and no gap sunglasses and glasses
- Chronic disease testing for diabetes, glaucoma, macular degeneration and cataracts
Meanwhile, all members with extras cover can also enjoy Optical Prescription Spectacle Makers (OPSM) and Laubman & Pank discounts of 20% off lenses, 15% off non-prescription sunglasses and 10% off contact lenses purchased in store.
rt health has a Surry Hills, Sydney dental centre where members can get a $300 no-gap preventive dental check-up, within the annual limits of their plan, including:
- Scaling and cleaning
- Bite-wing x-rays, to detect decay between teeth
- A panoramic OPG x-ray, to effectively scan all the teeth on the upper and lower jaw on a single film
- Fluoride application to strengthen teeth
- Intra-oral imaging to highlight any areas of decay or inflammation
Thanks to rt health's partnerships with QBE and Zurich you can get:
- 40% off QBE travel insurance when purchased through rt health
- The option of purchasing Zurich EziCover life insurance through rt health.
How do the costs work?
The best way to find out how much you will have to pay out-of-pocket for your extras service, is to contact rt health fund's team. Their Extras policies offer a mix of a percentage back, and a set benefit amount, which differs for each service.
Each service also has a calendar year benefit limit, which means once you reach the limit, rt health won't pay costs for that service until the next year begins on January 1.
Waiting periods and limitations
Waiting periods apply to claims, and you may not be able to claim certain services right away.
- 24 months: New hearing aids
- 12 months: Health appliances, major dental, orthodontics
- 3 months: Optical
- 2 months: Hearing aid repairs and everything else
How to make a claim
You can claim on the spot when receiving services from providers with a Health Industry Claims and Payments Service (HICAPS) electronic system. Simply swipe your membership card, and pay any difference yourself.
Alternatively, you can send in a claims form within two years of receiving a covered service.