Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
HIF Gold Star Hospital Health Insurance
HIF's Gold Star Hospital policy provides comprehensive cover for less than $8 a day.
HIF is an Australian not-for-profit health fund that's been operating since 1954. They are also
Australia's ﬁrst certiﬁed Carbon Neutral health fund. Their Gold Star hospital insurance policy is designed to cover you for a wide range of situations and treatments in hospital.
Read on to find out if their comprehensive cover is right for you.
What does a HIF Gold Star policy include?
As the most comprehensive policy option available, Gold Star includes cover for all 38 clinical categories required for gold tier health insurance. You'll also be covered for private room accommodation in an HIF-contracted private hospital and have access to HIF second opinion service.
|Private room accommodation||Implantation of hearing devices|
|HIF second opinion service||Insulin pumps|
|Assisted reproductive services||Sleep studies|
|Back, neck and spine||Weight loss surgery|
|Bone, joint and muscle||Joint replacements|
|Brain and nervous system||Kidney and bladder|
|Cataracts||Lung and chest|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer||Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Dental surgery||Male reproductive system|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)||Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure||Pain management|
|Digestive system||Pain management with device|
|Ear, nose and throat||Palliative care|
|Eye (not cataracts)||Plastic and reconstructive surgery|
|Gastrointestinal endoscopy||Podiatric surgery|
|Gynaecology||Pregnancy and birth|
|Heart and vascular system||Rehabilitation|
|Hernia and appendix||Skin|
|Hospital psychiatric services||Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
Other benefits of HIF Gold Star Hospital Cover
In addition to the benefits listed above, HIF provides the following with their gold hospital policies:
- AccessGap Cover. Going to or being treated by a doctor who participates in the AccessGap cover scheme will likely result in reduced out-of-pocket costs.
- HIF Second Opinion. With Gold Star cover, you have access to the Best Doctors network, allowing you to get a second opinion on any diagnosis, condition or treatment. You also get access to the Best Doctors online medical advice portal.
- Choose your own doctor. You can select the doctor or specialist you want to treat you.
- Hospital accommodation options. You can get private and shared room accommodation in a public hospital or HIF-contracted private hospital.
How do the excess costs work?
When you're admitted to hospital for anything requiring an overnight stay, you'll be required to pay the excess nominated in your policy. For a HIF Gold Star hospital policy, this could be anything from $0 - $750. Remember that the higher the excess you nominate in your policy, the lower your premiums.
Waiting periods and limitations
If this is your first time taking out this level of private health cover, a number of standard waiting periods apply:
- 2 months: For general hospitalisation, psychiatric care, rehabilitation and palliative care.
- 12 months: For pre-existing conditions.
How to make a claim on a HIF Gold Star policy
When you're admitted to hospital as a private patient, you'll be requested to pay the applicable excess for your hospital cover. Following this, all hospital and doctor's accounts should be sent directly to HIF, who will process it for you.
If for some reason you are issued an account, you can mail it to HIF along with a claim form to have it processed.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert