A comprehensive private hospital insurance policy that includes maternity services. Get peace of mind for less than $5 a day*.
Every parent understands that ensuring the well being of their family is of paramount importance, and that a majority of the time accidents and illnesses are neither planned or can be foreseen. Having a health insurance policy in place such as HIF Gold Hospital provides you with the reassurance of knowing that you are covered financially for any eventuality. HIF Gold Hospital also insures you for any services you may need when you add a new member to your family as well. This policy provides you with full hospital cover on all Medicare approved items and if you pay 12 months cover up front you will get a 4% discount.
What does HIF Gold Hospital cover?
With HIF Gold Hospital, you’re eligible for cover on:
- Shared room in a private or public hospital
- Private room in hospital when a small co-payment is paid
- Private room in hospital for maternity (up to five days)
- Maternity services
- Intensive care
- Theatre care
- Same-day accommodation
- Same-day theatre
- Pharmacy drugs
- Palliative care (disease)
- Cardio (heart)
- Psychiatric care and treatment
- Joint replacement
- Assisted reproductive technology (e.g. IVF)
- Eye surgery (non-cosmetic)
- Gastric banding and obesity surgery
- AccessGap Cover
- Choice of excess
What isn’t covered by HIF Gold Hospital?
- Cosmetic services as deemed by Medicare and which do not qualify for a Medicare rebate.
- Ambulance transport (except for emergency services applicable under NSW and ACT regulation)
What excess options are available?
- Applying excess is totally optional with this policy
- If you wish to apply excess you can choose from $100, $200 or $400 excess per person per admission
- The maximum excess can be $200, $400 and $800 per year
Whats the waiting period on claims under this policy?
Waiting periods are kept to a minimum with HIF Gold Hospital cover. Provided you stay with this fund, you only have to wait:
- 2 months for general hospitalisation claims
- 12 months for obstetric-related services
- 12 months for all treatments related to a pre-existing ailment or condition (this does not apply to pre-existing conditions for psychiatric care, palliative care or rehabilitation)
Anyone who is seeking a comprehensive hospital insurance policy is able to apply.
How do I make a claim?
- If you are admitted to hospital as a private patient you will be requested to pay the excess (if applicable) and your documentation will be automatically forwarded by them to HIF.
- If you receive your hospital account you can post to HIF at HIF, Reply Paid X2221, Perth, WA 6847.
Q: What difference between Gold Hospital and the Extras Cover policies?
A: Gold Hospital is a comprehensive private hospital insurance package which covers you for things like surgical procedures and extended hospital stay, while Extras Cover provides for supplementary treatments and services like chiropractic and optical.
Q: Are there any restrictions in this policy relating to specific surgeries or treatments?
A: If you undergo a procedure carried out by a podiatrist Gold Hospital will cover you for a basic benefit (also known as a public hospital rate) which pays for your accommodation. All other charges related to this type of procedure have to be paid by you.
Q: Are there any restrictions or increased wait times if I switch from a different private hospital insurance policy to HIF Gold Hospital?
A: HIF will honour the full length of your membership with your previous fund so you won't be burdened with any increased waiting periods.
Q: What does the maternity service included in this policy cover me for?
A: Up to 5 days accommodation in a private room, partner accommodation at no extra cost, shared room cover for all other services, IFV support and much more.
Q: I need answers to question that aren't listed here, what can I do?
A: Give the HIF help line a call on 1300 134 060.
*Pricing based on a single male under 65 years of age earning less than $90,000 living in NSW. Prices reflect the April 1 premium rise and are accurate for May 2017 but are subject to change in the future. Please use the comparison engine above for the most accurate pricing. The costs referred to in this article apply to the HIF Gold Hospital policy with the $400 excess option. Choosing the same policy with a lower excess will result in a higher premium cost.