health.com.au merged with Frank on 1 July 2021. Learn more about Frank's policies here.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Frank is Australia's leading not-for-profit online health fund.
- At around $13 a month, Frank Basic Extras policy is among the cheapest policies available on Finder.
- It's all done online.
- New customers won't be able to access health.com.au policies.
- Both Frank and health.com.au have received more ombudsman complaints than its market share.
Good value health.com.au policies
Since you can no longer get policies from health.com.au, here are some good value Frank health insurance policies.
These are some of the best value hospital policies from Frank, including a Mid-tier Extras policy, a Basic Plus combined policy and a Bronze Plus policy.
*Quotes are based on a single individual with less than $90,000 income, $750 excess and living in Sydney.
health.com.au health insurance: Our verdict
health.com.au is a not-for-profit fund that's recently merged with Frank. Both are relatively new, online-only funds known for their affordable health insurance policies.
Frank is good if:
- You want extras cover with flexible limits.
- You want a not-for-profit insurer that gives its profits back to its members.
Frank is not great if:
- You want cover for everything – they don't offer Gold policies.
- You don't want an online-only insurer.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Compare all policies from health.com.au
Use this free tool to compare policies from Frank, who now owns health.com.au.
What types of health insurance does health.com.au offer?
health.com.au recently merged with Frank health insurance. Here are Frank's hospital policies:
- Entry Hospital (Basic+)
- Basic Hospital 500 (Basic+)
- Basic Hospital Plus (Basic+)
- Private Hospital (Bronze)
- Better Hospital (Bronze+)
- Silver Hospital (Silver)
- Max Hospital (Silver+)
- Top Hospital (Silver+)
health.com.au recently merged with Frank health insurance. Here are Frank's extras policies:
- Basic Extras
- Easy Extras
- Simple Extras
- Some Extras
- Everyday Extras
- More Extras
- Lots Extras
health.com.au recently merged with Frank health insurance. Below are Frank's dedicated combined policies, but you can also mix and match any combination of hospital and extras policies.
- The Essentials Bundle (Silver)
- Freedom Starter Flexi-Bundle (Basic)
- Freedom Saver Flexi-Bundle (Basic+)
health.com.au health insurance complaints
We looked at the 2020 ombudsman health insurance complaints. Here's how health.com.au stacked up:
- health.com.au had one of the largest complaints ratio according to the 2020 ombudsman complaints
- Frank, which health.com.au has merged with, is underwritten by GMHBA which has a slightly better complaints ratio, but it's still one of the lowest on this list.
This chart shows the weighted volume of complaints received by each health fund, according to the Commonwealth Ombudsman. The lower the number, the better. health.com.au is eighteenth overall in this ranking, while Frank/GMHBA is sixteenth overall. The weighting ensures that funds are compared fairly; larger funds serve more customers so can potentially get more complaints.
health.com.au frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Travel insurance that covers COVID
Here's how travel insurers are responding to the pandemic.
Can getting health insurance before July save you money on tax?
Health insurance can save you on tax.
Travel insurance for over 70s
Over 70 and need travel insurance? Compare your options to get affordable cover for what matters.
Private health insurance tax guide
If you just turned 31 or have started earning over $90k, you'll want to think about taking out health insurance now.
Rabbit Pet Insurance in Australia
Learn more about rabbit pet insurance in Australia - what's covered, how much you can claim and the exclusions.
What is the Medicare Levy?
The Medicare Levy is a 2% tax that goes towards funding the public health system – here's how it works.
Private health insurance rebate
What is the private health insurance rebate and how has it changed?
Do I need life insurance?
Learn about the different types of life insurance available in Australia, and when you might need to take out cover.
Health insurance premiums are rising by 2.7% in 2022 (but that’s good, kind of)
When will those price rises happen, and does it affect all health insurance policies? And why is 2.7% considered "good news?"
Save on your health insurance
Ask an Expert