We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The Northern Territory has the highest rate of fatalities in Australia. That's why it's harder for NT drivers to find a car insurance policy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But it is possible - trust us! Car insurance can help protect you and your wallet from the uninsured driver who t-bones you out of nowhere, the local hooligan going around keying cars, and your own moment of distraction when you crash into someone’s Audi in the car park.
Find the right policy for your situation by selecting an option that strikes an appropriate balance between affordability and cover offered.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability. If you damage someone else’s property, such as a car or a house, in the course of an accident, it’s referred to as a personal liability cost because you are personally liable for it. This expense is covered by all types of car insurance except CTP.
- Protection for your car. Your policy type determines your level of protection. Third party property only policies do not typically offer any cover for your car, while fire and theft policies only cover fire damage and stolen cars. Comprehensive policies will cover the cost of most damage that may befall your vehicle.
How much will it generally cost?
Your car insurance premiums are affected by how likely you are to make a claim. The more likely this is, the more expensive your car insurance will generally be. Factors like age, your driving record, the type of car you drive and many more are all taken into consideration.
- CTP. All CTP insurance in the NT costs the same
- Policy type. The cost of car insurance in the Northern Territory varies depending on policy type, vehicle insured, location and your individual circumstances. Comprehensive insurance is naturally more expensive than basic cover.
- Stamp duty. Different financial services, including car insurance, are taxed at different levels around Australia. This is known as stamp duty, and for car insurance in NT, it’s set at 10% of the premiums paid. This is typically added to the cost of the insurance.
According to the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council (NMVTRC), counting thefts per registrations, the Northern Territory has a national high of 6.09 cars stolen per 1,000 registrations.
The total car thefts numbered 981, or a 1.9% share of national thefts during 2017.
The five most common car theft areas
- Darwin City (432)
- Palmerston (166)
- Alice Springs Town (149)
- Litchfield Municipality (79)
- Katherine Town (44)
All of the top five crime hotspots in the Northern Territories actually experienced lowering car crime rates versus 2016. Overall car theft dropped 9.8%. Crime is heading back toward 2013 levels.
The most likely time to have a vehicle stolen is on a Monday from 20:00 - 23:59. Friday, Saturdays and Sundays see the most vehicles taken.
Utes dominated the top three theft targets, with the Toyota Hilux claiming first and second place. The Toyota Landcruiser 70 closed out the top three.
Get the latest car insurance news
More guides on Finder
Pets in apartments: Sydney ruling sparks insurance questions
The NSW Supreme Court has given the go-ahead for pets in apartments. But there are things to consider before moving a furry friend into your home.
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Car removal service
Remove your old car and earn money with a car removal service.
2020 Toyota Camry review
Four expert reviews of the Toyota Camry in one
As Australia reopens, don’t forget travel insurance
Travel insurance isn't just for overseas trips.
Life insurance for 35-year-olds
Compare life insurance policies for 35-year-olds
Carpet cleaning services
How to find a cleaning service to maintain or revive the carpets in your home.
Can I still get life insurance if I’m overweight?
Find out if you can still get life insurance if you’re overweight, what your options are and where to get cover.
How useful is a home insurance calculator?
A home insurance calculator can give you a rough estimate on the value of your home and contents. But is that what you really want? Find out how to not underinsure or overinsure your home.
Life insurance for new parents
We talk you through life insurance options for new parents.
Ask an Expert