Complete guide to getting car insurance in NSW
Your car needs to have up-to-date insurance at all times while you’re behind the wheel. All drivers in NSW must have CTP car insurance, and most drivers also opt for extra protection.
Whether you’ve just bought a new car and need protection for it, or are looking to change your car insurance provider, this guide can walk you through getting the right car insurance in NSW.
NSW car insurance in three steps
- Everyone needs Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. There are only six different insurers that offer it.
- Choose your damage cover. Choose the type of car insurance damage cover that suits your needs.
- Compare and buy online. Once you’ve found the right policy, compare it with other options and buy online for more discounts as well as to save time and hassle.
Compare comprehensive policies from Australian brands
What type of car insurance can I get in New South Wales?
All cars need CTP insurance, and you should also choose a liability and damage policy.
Getting CTP insurance in NSW
CTP insurance in NSW, also known as a Green Slip, covers the cost of injuries sustained in road accidents. There are six different CTP insurers to choose from in NSW, and each sets their prices differently.
- 6- or 12-month insurance period. You can choose either a 6-month or a 12-month insurance period to better manage the costs.
- No difference in cover. All insurers will offer the same required cover, so you can compare by price alone.
- The cheapest Green Slips. Find the cheapest Green Slip by getting a quote from each insurer and choosing the lowest price.
Once you have a CTP insurance policy, you are insured for personal injuries on the road. Next, you can pick the type of car damage cover that suits your needs.
Personal liability and car damage insurance
There are three additional types of car insurance to choose from. Find the cover that’s right for you by balancing cost and protection.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability: This is the cost of damage you may cause to other cars or to a person’s property because of an accident. Third party property car insurance policies deliver cost-effective, personal-liability-only cover.
- Protection for your car: Different policies will protect your car from different types of damage. A third party fire and theft policy covers you from these two common hazards as well as delivering personal liability cover. Comprehensive car insurance protects you from many different types of damage, and also includes personal liability cover.
How much does car insurance cost in NSW?
No matter where you are in the country, the cost of car insurance is determined by the same, or very similar, factors. The more likely you are to get into an accident, have your car stolen, or make a car insurance claim, the higher your car insurance premiums will be.
- New South Wales is the most expensive state in Australia for car insurance, thanks to crowded roads and above-average theft rates. This means it is particularly important to look for cheap car insurance in NSW.
Rounded average annual cost of comprehensive car insurance for newer vehicles in NSW
|Under 25||25 to 29||30 to 44||45+|
- Stamp duty: Different financial services are taxed at different levels around Australia. This is known as stamp duty and can raise the price of financial products. In NSW, the stamp duty for car insurance is set at 5%.
What car insurers can I access?
The finder.com.au car insurance panel lets you compare options from some of Australia’s top insurers, including the following:
Australia Post combines cover and affordability with flexible policies that deliver additional benefits. You can get free trailer cover if you have comprehensive insurance or cover for the cost of a rental vehicle if yours is stolen and you have a third party fire and theft policy.
Australia Post car insurance is an effective option for those who want to balance cost and cover or are looking for more benefits without needing to pay more for a comprehensive policy.
All QBE car insurance policies let you choose your own repairer. Policies can be tailored with options like excess-free windscreen and glass protection and protection for your no-claims bonus. Comprehensive policies come with cover for vehicle tools and personal effects as well as all the other advantages of comprehensive cover.
QBE car insurance policies are the right choice for people who want to tailor their policies to find a car insurance policy that feels like it was made just for them.
Budget Direct takes pride in offering competitive car insurance prices thanks to maintaining eligibility requirements. By declining to insure drivers with a history of traffic accidents and instead focusing on offering cover to safer drivers, Budget Direct can offer lower prices than their competitors.
Budget Direct car insurance policies suits those who want to save money and don’t necessarily want all the extras.
Youi is focused on letting you get the benefits of your choice from car insurance. Whether you want to lower costs or enjoy a higher level of protection, Youi strives to offer the options. Opt out of unneeded extras like trailer cover, and opt in if you need protection for car tools or campervan contents.
Youi car insurance is an attractive choice for people who want to customise their policy for cost-effectiveness without losing the essential cover that’s important to them.
Simplicity and value, with exceptional customer service no matter which policy you choose, remain the focus of Dodo car insurance. Policies come with features to suit your price range, delivering a wide variety of cover with comprehensive policies and cost-effectiveness with more basic policy types. The availability of optional benefits is also dependent on your policy type, helping keep costs down and saving more time when signing up.
Dodo car insurance is the right option if you’re looking for simplicity and affordable options in your policy.
Flexibility and personalization can make Woolworths feel like a smaller insurer. Price matching and other features may be available as well as a wide range of discounts for those who want to customise their insurance. All this is available without compromising the level of cover or options available, making Woolworths car insurance a flexible choice.
Woolworths car insurance delivers competitive prices for those who want to take control of their discounts and manage their policies for more benefits.
Car insurance by Virgin Money is largely oriented around offering an effective level of protection without raising the price too high. For this reason, it offers more than one comprehensive policy, letting you further fine-tune your chosen balance of cost and cover. On top of this, Virgin’s wide range of services means you can access bonuses and discounts that may not be available elsewhere.
Existing Virgin customers may want to consider Virgin Money car insurance to get additional benefits, while new customers can take advantage of the different policies available.
Get the latest car insurance news
Drivers not slowing down enough at level crossings. Read more…