Choose from 5 levels of extras cover from one of Australia's most recognised health funds.
Bupa is one of the most well-known names in health, both in Australia and around the world. With a focus on smart, affordable policies that almost anyone can make use of, it might be worth going to Bupa for your extras cover.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to bupa.com.au or compare a bunch of other health insurance companies with finder.
What extras plans does Bupa offer?
There are five pre-made plans to choose from and you can tailor your own plan with Your Choice Extras.
How does Your Choice Extras work?
This option lets you select up to four different benefits and always includes emergency ambulance as a fifth benefit.
- You can change your extras every 12 months.
- You’ll get benefit limits that grow over time, eventually capping at maximums broadly equivalent to a Silver policy after 6 or 7 years.
- A 12-month waiting period applies to orthodontics and major dental, so you need to select them for 2 years in a row to be able to make a claim.
The amount you are reimbursed, as well as your annual limits for optical cover, is dependent on whether you visit a Bupa member provider. Even if you visit a non-member provider, you can still claim fixed amounts instead of getting a percentage of costs covered.
Annual per person limits also apply.
- The dollar values are the most you can claim per person, per calendar year.
- When you sign up for a family or couples policy, your ambulance limits will be two services per year instead of one.
- Per-item sublimits also apply to health aids.
|Orthodontics||$0||$700 ($2,000 lifetime limit)||$800 ($2,600 lifetime limit)||$900 ($2,800 lifetime limit)|
|Optical||$150 or $210 based on membership||$200 or $290 based on membership||$200 or $290 based on membership||$240 or $340 based on membership||$280 or $380 based on membership|
|Chiropractic and osteopathy||$350 combined||$350||$500||$600||$700|
|Antenatal and postnatal||$350 combined||$350||$350||$400||$450|
|Natural therapies||$350 combined||$500||$400||$500 ($200 per person sublimit for massage)||$500 ($200 per person sublimit for massage)|
|Podiatry (no orthotics)||$350||$400||$500||$750|
|Health aids and appliances||$800||$1,000||$1,200|
|Travel and accommodation||$100 and $150||$100 and $150||$100 and $150|
|Emergency ambulance||1 service||1 service||1 service||1 service||1 service|
Data last confirmed as correct 20 September 2018
What other benefits are available?
When you join Bupa, you also get a range of member discounts and other bonuses.
- Optional pharmacy saver. Add this option to any of the policies to enjoy 20% off beneficial medications, such as medication for disease management or chronic conditions, at National Pharmacies stores.
- Member discounts. Get significant discounts on a wide range of health and wellness products, sporting goods, travel and entertainment.
Limitations of your cover
You are only able to claim benefits for services or treatments provided by a registered and recognised private practitioner.
You are not able to claim benefits for services that are claimable under Medicare or another third-party option. In addition, you cannot claim benefits for services provided outside of Australia or that were not fully customised for you. For example, prescription glasses are customised while non-prescription lenses aren’t.
Ambulance cover comes with all Bupa extras policies, but only for emergencies. This does not include ambulance transport from a hospital to your home, from a hospital to a nursing home or in other non-emergency situations.
Waiting periods also apply, and you cannot make claims during this period.
- 12 months for health aids, orthodontics and major dental
- 6 months for lifestyle benefits, such as being able to claim the cost of gym memberships
- 2 months for everything else
- No waiting period for emergency ambulance service
How do I make a claim?
There are several ways you can claim your Bupa health extras:
- On the spot. Simply swipe your membership card and pay any difference. Around 20,000 service providers around Australia accept Bupa membership cards.
- Online. To make a claim for services that you’ve already paid for, sign into your myBupa account and enter the details on your receipt. Your reimbursement will be automatically paid to your nominated account. This is not available for ambulance, health aids, orthodontics, travel/accommodation or pharmacy extras claims.
- By post. Fill out a claim form, attach your receipt and invoice and then post it to Bupa Reply Paid 990, Adelaide SA 5001. Payments will then be made to you by EFT if you’ve provided your details on the form or by cheque if you haven’t.
Looking for Bupa's hospital policies? Read our review and find out if it's right for you.