Bupa Extras Health Insurance
Choose from 7 levels of extras cover from one of Australia's most recognised health funds.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Bupa is one of the most well-known names in health, both in Australia and around the world. With a focus on smart, affordable policies that almost anyone can make use of, it might be worth going to Bupa for your extras cover.
Speak to a health insurance advisor for Bupa cover
What you'll get:
- 100% free expert advice
- Pay the same as going direct
- Instant advice if you call 1300 594 882
What extras plans does Bupa offer?
There are five pre-made plans to choose from and you can tailor your own plan with Your Choice Extras.
How does Your Choice Extras work?
This option lets you select up to four different benefits and always includes emergency ambulance as a fifth benefit.
- You can change your extras every 12 months.
- You’ll get benefit limits that grow over time, eventually capping at maximums broadly equivalent to a Silver policy after 6 or 7 years.
- A 12-month waiting period applies to orthodontics and major dental, so you need to select them for 2 years in a row to be able to make a claim.
The amount you are reimbursed, as well as your annual limits for optical cover, is dependent on whether you visit a Bupa member provider. Even if you visit a non-member provider, you can still claim fixed amounts instead of getting a percentage of costs covered.
Annual per person limits also apply.
- The dollar values are the most you can claim per person, per calendar year.
- When you sign up for a family or couples policy, your ambulance limits will be two services per year instead of one.
- Per-item sublimits also apply to health aids.
|Benefit||Orange 50||Budget Extras 60||Orange 60||Your Choice Extras 60||Top Extras 60||Top Extras 75||Top Extras 90|
|Optical||$150 or $210 based on membership||$150||$180 or $260 based on membership||$200 or $290 based on membership||$240 or $340 based on membership||$280 or $380 based on membership|
|Chiropractic and osteopathy||$500||$350 combined||$700||$350 or $500 based on membership||$500||$600||$700|
|Antenatal and postnatal||$350 combined||$450||$350||$400||$450|
|Natural Therapies||$350 combined||$500||$400||$500||$500|
|Podiatry (no orthotics)||$350||$400||$500||$750|
|Health aids and appliances||$800||$1,000||$1,200|
|Travel and accommodation||$100 and $150||$100 and $150||$100 and $150|
|Emergency ambulance||1 service||1 service||1 service||1 service||1 service||1 service||1 service|
Data last confirmed as correct October 9, 2020
What other benefits are available?
When you join Bupa, you also get a range of member discounts and other bonuses.
- Optional pharmacy saver. Add this option to any of the policies to enjoy 20% off beneficial medications, such as medication for disease management or chronic conditions, at National Pharmacies stores.
- Member discounts. Get significant discounts on a wide range of health and wellness products, sporting goods, travel and entertainment.
Limitations of your cover
You are only able to claim benefits for services or treatments provided by a registered and recognised private practitioner.
You are not able to claim benefits for services that are claimable under Medicare or another third-party option. In addition, you cannot claim benefits for services provided outside of Australia or that were not fully customised for you. For example, prescription glasses are customised while non-prescription lenses aren’t.
Ambulance cover comes with all Bupa extras policies, but only for emergencies. This does not include ambulance transport from a hospital to your home, from a hospital to a nursing home or in other non-emergency situations.
Waiting periods also apply, and you cannot make claims during this period.
- 12 months for health aids, orthodontics and major dental
- 6 months for lifestyle benefits, such as being able to claim the cost of gym memberships
- 2 months for everything else
- No waiting period for emergency ambulance service
How do I make a claim?
There are several ways you can claim your Bupa health extras:
- On the spot. Simply swipe your membership card and pay any difference. Around 20,000 service providers around Australia accept Bupa membership cards.
- Online. To make a claim for services that you’ve already paid for, sign into your myBupa account and enter the details on your receipt. Your reimbursement will be automatically paid to your nominated account. This is not available for ambulance, health aids, orthodontics, travel/accommodation or pharmacy extras claims.
- By post. Fill out a claim form, attach your receipt and invoice and then post it to Bupa Reply Paid 990, Adelaide SA 5001. Payments will then be made to you by EFT if you’ve provided your details on the form or by cheque if you haven’t.
Looking for Bupa's hospital policies? Read our review and find out if it's right for you.
More guides on Finder
Best budget gaming monitors In Australia
We've done the research to find the best five budget gaming monitors available in Australia to suit different budgets and types of user.
Every hybrid car in Australia ranked
We've ranked every hybrid vehicle available in Australia.
La Niña warning for Australian homeowners
Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse, the Bureau of Meteorology has declared a La Niña event.
2020 Toyota Camry review
Four expert reviews of the Toyota Camry in one
Google Nest Audio Review
Google's Nest Audio delivers great sound output for a smart speaker in its price range.
RAC Roadside Assistance
Is RAC Roadside Assistance right for you?
Compare online physiotherapy services
Regaining or improving your mobility can be tough. With online physiotherapy, you can do it from the comfort of your own home.
RACV roadside assistance
Find out what RACV roadside assistance offers.
RACQ Roadside Assistance
Find out what you can get with RACQ roadside assistance.
Coles Roadside Assistance
Coles Roadside Assistance – affordable cover with your car insurance. Is it right for you?
You might like these...
Ask an Expert