Take control of your financial future with a savings account from UniBank.
Established as Unicredit in 1964, UniBank was created from a 2015 merger with Teachers Mutual Bank.
With a focus on providing financial products and services for Australians working and studying in tertiary and post-secondary education, UniBank offers an extensive range of everyday and savings accounts.
What is UniBank?
UniBank specialises in offering banking products and services for the tertiary and post-secondary education sectors. This doesn’t mean it only provides accounts for students; it also provides products for people working in these sectors as well as their families and even the wider education sector.
Its range of bank accounts includes the following:
- Everyday transaction accounts
- High interest savings accounts
- Cash management accounts
- Kids accounts
- Term deposits
What is Internet banking like for UniBank?
UniBank’s Internet banking portal provides access to your accounts via your desktop, mobile or tablet. The service streamlines your everyday banking and offers all the features you’d expect from Internet banking with a major financial institution.
- Enjoy 24/7 access to your accounts
- Pay bills and transfer funds
- Search transactions by keywords and receipt numbers
- Set up SMS alerts
- Review and print transactions and export into an accounting program
What transaction accounts does UniBank offer?
- Everyday Account. This transaction account offers easy everyday banking. It provides a Visa debit card and access to online banking as well as access to more than 3,000 ATMs. It is Android Pay and Apple Pay compatible, but does feature a monthly account-keeping fee. However, UniBank waives this fee for students.
- Everyday Direct Account. This flexible everyday transaction account offers easy electronic access to your funds via Internet and mobile banking, plus it’s also available with Android Pay and Apple Pay. There’s no monthly access fee when you deposit at least $2,000 per month.
- Bill Paying Account. This account helps you put money aside to cover your regular bills. There is no minimum account balance and you don’t need to pay access fees. The account gives you easy access to Internet banking, BPAY and direct debits to pay your bills.
What high interest savings accounts does UniBank offer?
- Online Savings Account. With a competitive interest rate on balances of $2,000 or more, this account also offers easy access to your funds through online, phone and mobile banking. There is also no monthly access fee attached to the Online Savings Account.
- Reward Saver Account. The Reward Saver Account pays generous bonus interest when you deposit at least $50 per month and don’t make any withdrawals. There are no monthly fees and you have the freedom to access your funds at any time.
- Cash Management Account. This account combines a competitive interest rate with easy access to your funds via online, phone and mobile banking. There is no minimum balance requirement and no monthly fees.
- Deeming Account. This account is for members receiving a pension or allowance from Centrelink or Veteran Affairs and complies with Australian deeming regulations. It offers competitive interest and no monthly access fees.
- Christmas Savings Account. The Christmas Savings Account allows you to set up a regular savings plan to put money aside for Christmas. To help you save, your funds will only be available for withdrawal from 1 November to 31 January. There are no minimum balance requirements and no monthly fees.
- Children’s Education Account. The Lifeplan Education Investment Fund is a professionally managed savings investment product to help you pay for your child’s education. There are no entry or exit fees and you can choose from 7 leading fund managers and 19 investment profiles.
- Mighty Saver Account. The UniBank Mighty Saver is a savings account for people under 18 years of age. It pays bonus interest whenever you save as little as $10 a month, make no withdrawals and maintain a credit balance at all times. It doesn’t charge any monthly fees.
What term deposits does UniBank offer?
- Term Deposit. Available with a deposit of $5,000 or more, UniBank term deposits are available with competitive interest rates on terms ranging from 3 to 36 months.
- Rewards Package Term Deposit. Available to members who are eligible for a UniBank Rewards Package, this term deposit option requires a minimum deposit of just $1,000 and provides terms from 3 to 36 months. It pays an extra 0.05% p.a. bonus interest compared to regular term deposits.
What are the pros and cons of banking with UniBank?
- Wide range of accounts. With products for kids and students as well as everyday accounts and accounts to help you reach savings goals, UniBank offers plenty of choice to customers.
- Products tailored for the education sector. Regardless of whether you’re a student or you work in the education sector, UniBank offers products and services designed with you in mind.
- Banking options. UniBank offers all the same account access options you’d expect from a major bank, including debit cards, ATMs, and phone, Internet and mobile banking.
- No nationwide branch network. UniBank has offices in WA, NSW and the ACT, but it does not have a nationwide branch network.
How do I apply for a UniBank account?
You’ll need to become a member of UniBank if you’d like to apply for an account. You’re eligible to join if you’re a current or retired employee, graduate or post-graduate of an Australian university. You’re also eligible if you’re a current student at an Australian university. Family members of UniBank members are also eligible to join.
You’ll need to provide your name, address, date of birth and proof of ID to join. Once you’re a member, you can find a downloadable account application form on the UniBank website.
UniBank offers a wide range of benefits to members of the education community, but make sure to compare its accounts with other products on the market to ensure you get the best account to help you manage your money.