Collect 80,000 bonus Qantas Points, earn 0.75 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases and enjoy complimentary airline lounge passes with the Westpac Altitude Black credit card.
The Westpac Altitude Black card is designed to benefit big spenders and frequent flyers who want to receive extra value from their card. For a reduced annual fee of for the first year ($250 p.a. thereafter), cardholders can take advantage of up to 45 interest-free days, a Westpac concierge service and complimentary travel insurance.
The card offers cardholders the opportunity to collect either Qantas Points or Westpac Altitude reward points as they spend. This review will focus on the Qantas Frequent Flyer option.
|Product Name||Westpac Altitude Black - Qantas|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.24% p.a.|
|Offer end date||27 November 2018|
|Annual fee||$250 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 45 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Max credit limit|
This credit limit may not be issued to you immediately on application. This is the maximum credit limit for this card which must be applied for or offered to you after you are approved and have already opened the account.
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (MC)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Annual fee||$250 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$15|
|Cash Advance Fee||2% of the value of the transaction or minimum charge of $2.50|
|Overseas Cash Advance Fee||2%|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||Yes|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||1|
- Receive 80,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 27 November 2018, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases with a new Altitude Black credit card within 90 days of card approval.
- There is an interest-free period of only up to 45 days on purchases as compared to other cards that offer up to 55 days interest-free.
- This card charges a relatively high annual fee of $250.
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Bonus Points||80,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||0.75|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||Uncapped|
Westpac Altitude Black Qantas review
Westpac Altitude Black Qantas cardholders who apply by 27 November 2018, are approved and spend a minimum of $3,000 on eligible purchases in the first 90 days receive the 80,000 bonus Qantas Points offer. You’ll also continue to collect 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. The frequent flyer benefits don’t end there either. You can also save on travel costs with complimentary travel insurance and airline lounge passes.
Westpac Black Rewards program
If you choose to earn points with Altitude Rewards, you can redeem your points for a range of goods and services including gadgets, accommodation, gift vouchers and flights. Plus, as long as you're a member of the program, you can also transfer your Altitude Points to Virgin Australia’s Velocity, Malaysia Airlines’ Enrich, Air New Zealand’s Airpoints, Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer and Cathay Pacific’s AsiaMiles. The Mastercard offers Altitude Rewards points per $1 spent in Australia and overseas.
If you opt to earn Qantas Points, the Mastercard will earn you 1.25 points per $1 spent in Australia and overseas merchants. You can redeem your rewards for flights with Qantas and its airline partners as well as products from the Qantas store.
Benefits of using the Westpac Altitude Black Qantas credit card
Some of the perks you can enjoy with this card include:
- 80,000 bonus Qantas Points. If you apply for a Westpac Altitude Black Credit Card between 9 August 2018 and 27 November 2018, are approved and reach a minimum spend of $3,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days from card approval, you can earn up to 80,000 bonus Qantas Points.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer program. If you opt for the Qantas program rather than the Westpac Altitude Rewards program, you’ll earn up to 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. If you’re not already a Qantas Frequent Flyer, cardholders receive complimentary membership if they opt to earn Qantas Points. These points aren’t capped and can be redeemed for flights with Qantas and its partner airlines, for holiday packages and vehicle rentals and
- Reduced annual fee. The standard annual fee for this card is $250. However, if you apply by 27 November 2018, you’ll pay a discounted annual fee of for the first year.
- Complimentary insurance. The Altitude Black card comes with overseas travel insurance, transit accident insurance, purchase security insurance and extended warranty insurance.
- Complimentary VIP airport lounge priority passes. Cardholders are eligible for two complimentary visits to Qantas Club Lounges each year.
- Westpac concierge service. Cardholders can take advantage of this 24-hour service for anything from booking restaurant reservations and ordering flowers to organising your holiday or managing your account. You can contact your concierge on 1300 651 999 or download the Black Card concierge app for more information.
- Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Membership. With the Altitude Black Card, you will be fast tracked to Preferred Guest Gold Membership status with Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Gold Membership can include better rooms, 4pm late checkout and additional Starpoints reward points when you stay with Starwood.
- Altitude Black Personal Shopper. If you don’t have the time to do your own shopping, a personal shopper can assist you with your shopping needs and finding the right gift for someone special. The personal shopper is purely online and can help you spend your points the right way.
- Samsung Pay and Apple Pay functionality. If you link your card with Samsung Pay, you can use your Samsung device to make contactless mobile payments at the checkout. If you use an Apple device, you can also link your Westpac credit card to Apple Pay to make contactless mobile payments.
Features of the Westpac Altitude Black Rewards Qantas credit card
- Interest rate. The standard interest rate on purchases and cash advances is 20.24% p.a.
- Interest-free period. The Westpac Altitude Black offers up to 45 days interest-free on purchases when you pay your balance in full by the statement due date.
- Card security. The Altitude Black is a secure card with an embedded microchip. The credit card also has Cardshield, and you can register with Mastercard Secure Code. All of these features help stop fraudulent activity and purchases on your credit card. In addition to this, there is a Fraud Money Back Guarantee where you will be reimbursed for fraudulent transactions.
- Additional cardholder. You can request one additional cardholders at no extra cost. The supplementary cardholder must be at least 16 years old and the primary cardholders will be liable for all of the purchases made on their card.
How to apply for the Westpac Altitude Black
Applying for the Westpac Altitude Black card is simple and can be done by completing the online application. Before you begin your application, it’s important that you meet the following eligibility requirements and organise the necessary documents:
Eligibility criteria checklist
- Are you over 18? Applicants must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- How much do you make a year? Cardholders must have a minimum income of $75,000 p.a.
- What is your residential status? You’ll only receive approval if you’re an Australian permanent resident.
- Do you have a good credit history? You’re more likely to receive approval if you have a good credit history with no evidence of defaults or bankruptcy.
Required documents and information
- Personal details You’ll be asked to provide your contact details and personal information such as your birth date and residential address.
- Proof of identification. Australian driver’s licence, Medicare card or Australian passport.
- Employment details. You’ll need to include information regarding your employment including your employer’s contact details and how long you’ve been employed there.
- Income and expenses. You’ll be asked to provide recent payslips or bank statements to prove that you meet the minimum income requirement.
The Westpac Altitude Black credit card offers a host of attractive rewards and benefits. As it’s not the only Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card on the market, it’s wise for cardholders to compare their options before applying.Back to top