Money Hack: How to save 50% on your Virgin Active membership
Virgin has partnered with AIA Insurance to help you feel great and save money at the same time.
The healthier you are, the less likely you are to croak before it's your time. That's gold to health and life insurers because it means they don't have to pay out on claims as often.
To promote a healthy lifestyle, AIA Insurance has created a program called AIA Vitality. Members receive a host of health-related benefits including a staggering 50% off select Virgin Active memberships.
Virgin Active is one of the nicer gyms around but the price tag can make you think twice about joining. But with 50% off? Then it becomes a no-brainer.
Read on to find out how to lock in this sweet deal.
First, you have to become an AIA Vitality member. Since AIA doesn't sell insurance directly, the easiest way is to buy directly through one of its partners. These are RAC life insurance, RACQ life insurance, myOwn health insurance and GMHBA health insurance. You could also go through a financial advisor, but that seems like a hassle. So let's just go with one of the direct providers.
Here are the steps:
- Purchase a participating policy. After you've purchased your policy from one of the participating providers, you're immediately eligible for AIA Vitality membership.
- Open your email. Your insurer will send you a welcome email with your policy number. A welcome email from AIA Vitality will automatically arrive 24-48 hours later. Check your spam folder if you can't find them.
- Follow the AIA link. The email from AIA Vitality will have a link to the Vitality registration page. Click on it.
- Enter your information. On the AIA Vitality registration page, enter a few bits of personal information and your policy number from your insurer's welcome email. This only takes about a minute. Once you're in, you'll get an AIA Vitality membership number.
- Give your Vitality membership number to Virgin Active. You can now scoop up your sweet 50% discount!
But what if I don't need insurance?
If you already have life and health insurance policies that you spent ages researching and settling on, it might not make sense to switch. Especially since health insurance already costs a lot of money every month and plays such an important role should you desperately need medical attention.
So the easiest way to take advantage of this offer is through one of the life insurance products. The author of this article took out a life insurance policy through one of the providers and it ended up costing him a total of around $8 per fortnight (the same amount he was paying for life insurance through his super, which he promptly cancelled). A week later, he was able to reduce his Virgin active membership from $90 per fortnight to $45 per fortnight. That's a net savings of $45 per fortnight.
So even if you don't need insurance, there are very few reasons not to take advantage of this offer.
When do the savings kick in?
You're eligible to start saving immediately, but there are a few caveats:
- It only works on Virgin Active month-to-month membership plans (which luckily don't have joining fees at the moment). You can't apply this towards the cheaper annual membership.
- If you're already on a contract with Virgin Active, you have to wait until that contract runs out before you can apply the discount. For members currently on month-to-month plans, that merely means waiting until the next fortnightly direct debit. People on annual membership plans may unfortunately have to wait quite a while depending on how much time is left on their contract. New members can start saving right away.
Are there any other benefits?
There are tons of other benefits of being an AIA Vitality member. Here are a few:
- Every time you work out, you collect points that can be redeemed for gift cards.
- You can receive discounts on fitness products, such as Fitbits and Garmin fitness trackers.
- You can receive discounts on other services like spa sessions, Fitness first memberships and movie tickets.
Compare and get quotes for myOwn policies
finder money hacks is a bi-weekly round-up of the latest tips and tricks to improve your finances. Check back every Wednesday and Saturday for new hacks