Home Warranty Insurance

The builder usually pays for home warranty insurance, but you should still understand what’s exactly covered.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Homeowners who are left with incomplete or defective construction jobs are protected by mandatory home warranty insurance in many parts of Australia. This insurance is purchased by the builder doing the work and kicks in if they can't finish the job for a variety of reasons.

This type of insurance has many different names depending on the state, but we dive into what it is and how it works below.

Picture not described

Home warranty insurance in NSW and WA

Home warranty insurance functions largely the same way in both NSW and WA. The main difference is that it's called "home building compensation" in NSW and "home indemnity insurance" in WA. It has the following features:

  • Covers the homeowner for the completion of building work or fixing defects.
  • Applies if the builder is unable to finish the work due to death, financial insolvency or disappearance within six years of finishing the contract.
  • Any builder or tradesperson is required to take out this insurance for each building project over $20,000. Sub-contractors are covered by the head contractor's cover.

Picture not described

Builders warranty insurance in Victoria

Builders warranty insurance is known as "domestic building insurance" in Victoria. Here's how it works:

  • Covers the homeowner plus subsequent owners for incomplete or defective building work.
  • Applies if the builder cannot finish due to death, disappearance or financial insolvency within six years of completing the contract.
  • Builders are required to take out this insurance for each building project over $16,000.

Picture not described

Home warranty insurance in QLD

In Queensland, home warranty insurance works like this:

  • Covers the homeowner for incomplete construction work, defects and subsidence or settlement.
  • You must make a claim within three months of noticing the defect for structural issues and within seven months of contract completion for non-structural defects.
  • Builders are required to take out this insurance for most residential projects valued above $3,300.

Picture not described

Home warranty insurance in other states like ACT, SA and TAS

Home warranty insurance is mandatory in both the ACT and South Australia for building projects above $12,000, but not in Tasmania or the Northern Territory. It covers homeowners for incomplete construction and structural defects in a similar way to other states.

Summary of the facts

StateMinimum value of workLength of cover for structural workLength of cover for non-structural workMinimum cover to be provided by insurer
ACT$12,0006 years$85,000
NSW$20,0006 years2 years$340,000
SA$12,0005 years$150,000
VIC$16,0006 years2 years$300,000
WA$20,0006 years$100,000

What is home warranty insurance?

Home warranty insurance is designed to protect homeowners against incomplete building work and defects from construction in residential projects. It is taken out by the builders and tradespeople themselves and is mandatory in many states depending on the value of the build project. This kind of insurance has different names depending on what state you're in, such as builders warranty insurance, so see the above sections for state-by-state breakdowns.

What does builders warranty insurance cover?

Builders warranty insurance is purchased by the builder but is actually meant to protect the homeowner. It offers the following:

  • Cover for incomplete or defective building work.
  • "Last resort" system, where you can claim only if the builder doesn't complete the work due to death, disappearance or financial insolvency.
  • May provide a small extra allowance for alternative accommodation and storage.

This insurance is only mandatory on residential building projects that exceed a certain threshold depending on the state. This threshold stretches from $3,300 in QLD to $20,000 in NSW and WA.

Are there any home warranty insurance exemptions?

In theory, home warranty insurance is a nice idea, but it does come with some limitations that you should be aware of.

  • It doesn't protect you from dishonest builders. This means, you generally won't be covered if a builder refuses to repair their work or give you a refund. If this happens, you may need to take the builder to court or the tribunals system for your state at your own expense.
  • In-built cap regardless of the building project. You'll only be covered for a maximum of 20% of the contract price in the event of a successful claim.
  • Cover for residential projects only. This means it won't cover commercial buildings.

How to get home warranty insurance for builders

The process for purchasing home warranty insurance differs from state to state, although there are some similarities. In all states, you'll only be purchasing it if you're a builder or tradesperson doing residential building work.

Generally, you'll need to do the following:

  • Ensure you have the correct documents and applications to prove your eligibility to an insurer.
  • Purchase your policy through your state's provider or an insurance broker. Links to brokers, policy providers and home warranty insurance info for each state are listed at the bottom of this section. The price will depend largely on the value of your building contract.
  • Keep your policy documents handy.
StateWhat you need to do
New South WalesAll home building compensation insurance is purchasable from icare HBCF through an approved broker. You can find more info at the State Insurance Regulatory Authority.
Western AustraliaTo access the process for getting your building work approved and insured, go through the government's Building and Energy website.
South AustraliaBuilding indemnity insurance has to be secured from one of the few approved insurers through your insurance broker. To see the process and list of insurers, see the South Australian Government Financing Authority's website on the matter.
VictoriaDomestic building insurance is handled through the VMIA, which has a short approved list of authorised distributors.
QueenslandTo find out about purchasing home warranty insurance, see the Queensland Building and Construction Commission's page.
Australian Capital TerritoryFor information on obtaining home warranty insurance in the ACT, visit the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Directorate site.

Is it time to look at your home insurance?

Whether you're buying your first home insurance policy or looking to switch from your existing one, it always pays to compare. You can choose up to four policies at a time, select "Compare" and view the benefits side-by-side to make sure you get the right cover.

Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Australia Post Home & Contents Insurance
Get a $100 gift card when you buy a combined home and contents insurance policy from Australia Post.
Virgin Home and Contents Insurance
Purchase a new eligible Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy online and you'll also save 30% on your first year’s premium. T&Cs Apply.
Westpac Home and Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your first years’ premium with a new combined QBE Home and Contents policy online. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.
Domain Home Buildings & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Get 15% off your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents Insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Real Top Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase combined Home and Contents online.
St. George Home and Contents
Monthly or Annually
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER

Compare up to 4 providers

Frequently asked questions

Get the latest home insurance news

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site