Get the Finder app 🥳

Connect your accounts & save

Unoccupied home insurance

Sort out your insurance before you go away with unoccupied home insurance in Australia.

Updated . What changed?

Fact checked

Want to get insurance for a home no one is living in? All you have to do is select "Unoccupied" while completing a quote or contact your current insurer. If you don't, your policy might be voided. A home is generally considered unoccupied after 60 days, but this differs from insurer to insurer, so it's best to check.

Looking for unoccupied home insurance? Compare here.

Name Product Fire, storm, & theft damage Rebuilding & Repairs to your Home Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Underinsurance protection Pay Monthly at No Extra Cost
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.
Virgin Home and Contents Insurance
Grab a $100 e-Gift card when you purchase a new eligible Virgin Home and/or Contents insurance policy by 30 September 2020. You’ll also save up to 30%. T&C's Apply.
St. George Home and Contents
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online.
Westpac Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online.
Real Top Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase combined Home and Contents online.
Coles Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save 25%. Collect double flybuys points at Coles Supermarkets. T&Cs apply.
ANZ Home & Contents Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

Already have home insurance? Just let your insurer know that the house will be unoccupied. Make sure you do let them know, as if you leave the place unoccupied for over 60 days without telling them, you could void your policy.

What does unoccupied mean for home insurance?

If you leave your home for an extended period of time, it will be considered unoccupied by your home insurer. When a home is considered unoccupied, the insurer will generally do one of two things: impose an additional excess on any claims that arise while your home is unoccupied or cancel your policy. To prevent this, you need to contact them directly.

Generally, a home is not considered unoccupied if it's vacant for less than 30 days, but this differs from insurer to insurer, so it's worth looking into. If you exceed the time limit, your home will be considered unoccupied, and you may not be covered if you need to make a claim.

If you know that your house will be unoccupied for an extended period of time, make sure you let your insurer know so they can either update your existing policy or issue a new one.

How to keep an unoccupied house in Australia

You may be required to make sure your home is kept in a lived-in state by:

Making sure all windows and doors are locked

Keeping the lawns mowed

Stopping the mail, newspaper and other regular deliveries

Getting someone such as a friend, relative or neighbour to check on your house (inside and outside once a week)

These conditions vary between insurers and in accordance with your personal circumstances, but failing to abide by them could cause any claims during this period to be refused.

When will I need unoccupied home insurance?

Here are some common scenarios where you might leave your home unoccupied for long enough that it could affect your insurance.

  • Leaving your home empty while travelling. If you're planning an extended holiday, there's probably a high likelihood that you'll exceed your insurer's maximum unoccupied limit. For cover to continue, make sure you contact your insurer and notify them of your plans before you depart.
  • Leaving your home empty while you renovate. Living in your house while it's being renovated can be stressful and far from practical, so moving out for a few months while work is completed may be the best solution. Not only will your home insurance cover be cancelled if you're away for an extended period, but keep in mind that home insurance commonly won't cover claims that arise because of the renovations.
  • Leaving a house vacant while trying to sell it or rent it out. If you plan to leave the property vacant while you either look to sell it or try to find new tenants to rent it out, check with your insurer to find out how this will affect your policy. While many insurers will cover unoccupied homes for up to 60 or 90 days, there are some landlord insurance policies that require you to notify the insurer each time your home is left vacant due to a change of tenant.

Protecting your home while you're away

If you're away from home, it might be worth getting a house sitter or arrange for someone to check in regularly. Ask them to take a look inside at least once a week to make sure everything is alright, as well as take care of any tell-tale signs of a vacant home, such as uncollected mail or unmown lawn. Arrange for a friend or a professional garden service to stay on top of lawn and garden maintenance while you're away. Before you leave, thoroughly inspect how secure your home is. Check all locks on windows and doors, and consider installing a back-to-base burglar alarm for added security.

Start comparing home insurance

More questions about unoccupied home insurance

Read more:

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site