Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card
As well as a low interest rate, the Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card donates half the annual fee to a charitable cause.
The Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card offers an introductory 3.99% p.a. interest rate for the first 6 months, which reverts to a low ongoing rate of 8.99% p.a.
With this card, half of the $45 annual fee is donated to the Defence Bank Foundation. This independent charity puts all its funds towards Defence Community Dogs – a program that matches trained rescue dogs with veterans experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other medical conditions.
Balance transfer rate
for 6 months
for the first 6 months (reverts to 8.99% p.a.)
Interest free period
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
|Product Name||Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card|
|Balance transfer rate||3.99% p.a. for 6 months|
|Balance transfer revert rate||Cash Advance Rate (8.99% p.a.)|
|Purchase rate||3.99% for 6 months, reverts to 8.99% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||55 days|
|Cash advance rate||8.99% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$1,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
- 3.99% interest for 6 months on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances
- Half of the annual fee is donated to the Defence Bank Foundation
- Additional cardholder at no extra cost
- No rewards program and travel insurance
|Minimum monthly repayment||10% of the closing balance or $3, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$20|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Amy Bradney-George is the acting editor for credit cards and has more than 13 years’ experience writing about personal finance. She has bylines in publications including The Sydney Morning Herald, ABC News and The Equity Magazine. A passionate writer, she’s also acting editor for Finder X and senior writer for Finder Green. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University, and when she’s not writing she spends her time as an actress.
How to applyYou can apply for the Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card online by filling in a secure application form that you'll find on the Defence Bank website or through Internet or mobile banking if you're already a member. To get started, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements and have all the documents and details needed to complete the application.
- Australian residency status. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Tax responsibilities. You won't be able to apply online if you have any overseas tax obligations. Instead, call Defence Bank on 1800 033 139 to discuss your options.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Personal details. These include your full name, date of birth, residential address, email address and phone number. You will also need to let the bank know whether you're renting, boarding or have a mortgage and your number of dependants. You will also need to provide your driver's licence or other details to help verify your identity.
- Employment details. This covers your regular income details and includes your employment status, length of time in that position and your employer or accountant's contact details. You may also need to provide recent bank statements, payslips or other documents that help verify these details.
- Financial details. This covers your other assets, such as savings, superannuation and shares or other investments as well as existing cards, loans or other liabilities. You also have to give details of your regular expenses, such as rent or mortgage payments and utility bills.
- 3.99% p.a. for 6 months. This card offers an introductory interest rate of 3.99% p.a. for all transactions in the first 6 months from approval. At the end of the introductory period, the interest rate reverts to 8.99% p.a.
- Support charity. Half of the $45 annual fee ($22.50) is donated to the Defence Bank Foundation, which uses all the funds it raises to run the Defence Community Dogs program. This program provides trained rescue dogs to veterans with medical conditions – including PTSD – and offers inmates at correctional centres the opportunity to help train the dogs. You can learn more about the program on the Defence Community Dogs website.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your account balance in full by the due date on each statement, you'll get up to 55 days interest-free on purchases. You can learn more about how interest-free days work in this Finder guide.
- Digital wallets. You can add the Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card to your Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Garmin Pay or Fitbit Pay account and make payments straight from your mobile phone or other devices.
- Visa benefits. You can use this credit card to make payments around the world with any business that accepts Visa cards. When you're shopping in person, you can tap to pay and won't need to enter a PIN if the purchase is under $100. Plus, you'll get access to offers on shopping, dining, entertainment and travel through Visa Offers + Perks, with the latest offers listed on the Visa website.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card's $45 annual fee is competitive with other low rate cards.
- Ongoing interest rate. Outside of any promotions, this card has an interest rate of 8.99% p.a. for purchases and cash advances.
- Currency conversion fee. A fee of 3% applies for purchases made overseas or online in a foreign currency.