Shannons Car Insurance
Get specialist car insurance for classic and vintage vehicles with Shannons.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you drive a modified, classic or unique car or want a home insurance policy designed specially for car enthusiasts, it may be worth considering Shannons Insurance. Shannons is a division of Suncorp focused on covering rare, unique, vintage and modified cars and motorbikes. It endeavours to offer good comprehensive car insurance cover, and protection for automotive memorabilia, spare parts, tools, accessories and other equipment.
Comprehensive car insurance is the highest level of vehicle insurance available, encompassing third party liability coverage as well as extensive damage cover for one’s own vehicle. Shannons comprehensive insurance offers additional features that car enthusiasts can benefit from.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Shannons website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
Shannons car insurance cover options
Although it also offers third party legal liability only car insurance policies, Shannons' main focus is on comprehensive cover for people who want to pay more for a high level of protection and service.
Its policies are geared towards motoring enthusiasts and owners of special cars, and include benefits tailored for this area.
Shannons comprehensive car insurance
- Agreed value: Shannons comprehensive car insurance only uses agreed value, not market value to determine your cover. This is good for modified and classic cars which are often worth more than their market value would suggest,
- Choice of repairer: Shannons assumes you have your own preferred mechanic, and that you will prefer to use them whenever possible. If you don’t, however, it has qualified assessors who can manage repairs for you.
- Salvage options: If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, Shannons' comprehensive car insurance gives you the option of retaining or purchasing it unrepaired.
- Multiple vehicle cover: If you’re a collector or own multiple vehicles, Shannons offers cost-effective options for insuring them all under a single policy.
Additional features are designed to provide peace of mind on the road.
- Protected No Claim discount. If you have been on the highest level of no claims discount for the last three years and make an at fault claim, your No Claim discount will not be affected.
- Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs.
- New replacement car in the event of a total loss if you were its first owner and it happened within 12 months of registration.
- One free windscreen or window glass claim per vehicle per year.
- Up to $500 for emergency repairs and another $500 for accommodation if you are more than 100km from home.
- 14 day car hire following theft, to a maximum of $1,500.
- $20 million legal liability for bodily injury or damage to the property of others.
Shannons motorcycle insurance
Shannons also offers comprehensive motorcycle insurance, including:
- Agreed value with consideration of modifications and improvements
- Your choice of repairer
- Up to $3,000 of riding gear cover for the driver and $1,500 for a pillion passenger. This is for things like helmets, jackets, boots and other specific motorcycling equipment, with a limit of $1,000 per item
- Lifetime guarantee on approved repairs
- Cover for any road-legal motorbike modifications
- $20 million legal liability for third party bodily injury or property damage
Shannons motorcycle insurance also offers flexibilities and discounts such as:
- Low usage rates. If your bike is not your primary form of transport or you don’t use it regularly, you can get reduced premiums.
- Lay up. Motorcycles that are laid up for repair, restoration, modification or other reasons can benefit can get special premiums.
- Reduced premiums are available for motorbikes at club events or in repair shops, or with special modifications.
Shannons third party legal liability only insurance
Shannons also offers third party legal liability only cover. This can cover you and anyone who has permission to use your vehicle for up to $20 million of legal liability resulting from:
- Death or bodily injury to other people
- Loss or damage to someone else's property
This extends to:
- Goods falling form your vehicle
- Goods falling from a trailer or caravan attached to your insured vehicle
- Cover you while unloading or loading your insured vehicle, or attached trailer or caravan
Note that it is not intended to be a substitute for CTP insurance. It will not pay out for accidents that are covered by CTP, or would have been covered by CTP insurance if you had it. It will also not cover your liability for injuries or property damage to yourself, or someone who normally lives with you, and is subject to other specific exclusions, as well as policy general exclusions.
This cover type is included in comprehensive cover, so getting legal liability only might be most useful for people who want liability cover in case of an accident while loading or unloading a vehicle, or for goods.
For example, someone towing a vintage car might have comprehensive cover for the vintage car, but doesn't want to get comprehensive cover for the less valuable car that's doing the towing. They might get comprehensive insurance for the vintage car to cover it against damage, and liability insurance for the less valuable towing car to cover potential liability if the vintage car falls from the trailer or injures someone while being unloaded.
What won't I be covered for?
Shannons car and motorcycle insurance will not pay out if:
- Your vehicle is being used in a way other than what’s approved in the policy. For example, you will only be covered while racing or practising motor sports if your policy specifically covers you for those.
- Your vehicle was being driven by anyone not listed as a driver in your policy, unless it was stolen.
- Your car or motorcycle was driven by anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or who refused to take a drug or alcohol test, unless it was stolen.
- Your car or a trailer being towed by it is in any way not within the bounds of the law, such as if it’s overloaded.
- Your car or motorbike is at a vehicle race track or directly next to one, unless you are either covered for racing, or you can prove that you were there entirely for a purpose other than driving.
Also, Shannons car insurance specifically does not cover:
- Anything that happens outside of Australia
- Tyre damage caused by punctures, cuts, bursting or breaking
- Compensation for being unable to use a vehicle, or loss of vehicle value following repairs
- Any wear and tear, including corrosion, rust and depreciation
- Mechanical, structural or electronic breakdown or malfunction
- Any additional damage caused by driving a vehicle after an accident, or failing to protect it after accident, theft or recovery
How much does Shannons car insurance cost?
Shannons car insurance is more expensive than most typical comprehensive car insurance policies, but offers some advantages if you are insuring modified, classic or unique vehicles. Many people do still use Shannons to insure their everyday cars though, to get the benefits of comprehensive insurance and the available options.
For the benefits on offer, particularly agreed value and cover of modifications, Shannons car insurance should be considered. However, this is only possible because it selects customers carefully and rejects many. Its preferred customer is a genuine car enthusiast who takes exceptionally good care of their car both in maintenance and on the road. This group is statistically at lower risk of accidents and makes fewer claims, which is why Shannons offers these features.
Steps to save on your Shannons policy
There are a lot of ways to reduce premiums and get discounts with Shannons. Most of these are only available with comprehensive car or motorcycle insurance:
- Pay premiums monthly, quarterly or half yearly at no extra cost. You can sign short term policies without a penalty, letting you adapt your cover more easily.
- Get multi-policy discounts. If you have a car or motorcycle insurance policy with Shannons you can get 10% off a home and contents policy.
- Look at multi-vehicle discounts. Insure two or more vehicles on the same policy for premium discounts. These can be any vehicles, such as a car and a motorcycle, or your everyday vehicle and a classic car.
- Take advantage of limited use options. Shannons has several limited use discounts, depending on how frequently you drive the insured vehicle. Standard limited use discounts are for when you drive the car no more than once or twice a week on average. Extreme limited use is a bigger discount for when you drive it no more than twice a month, and club plate use is when your vehicle is only driven in accordance with state regulations for club or logbook registration.
- Shannons offers no claim bonuses. Every year you go without making a claim gets you a bigger discount, up to a maximum no claim discount of 65%.
Steps to make a claim
To make your Shannons car insurance claims go smoothly, keep these points in mind:.
- At the scene of the accident contact the police if necessary, and get the full name, address and phone numbers of other people involved if possible.
- Contact Shannons ASAP. If you’ve had an accident or your vehicle was stolen, call the insurer as soon as you can, 24 hours a day, on 13 46 46 and provide full details of the incident. After this you will be advised of the next steps. If you receive any notification of legal proceedings following an accident, you must forward this and all other relevant information to Shannons if it relates to your car insurance claim.
- Contact the police if you think there was a crime such as theft, attempted theft or vandalism. You will need to provide Shannons the police report number to make a claim, or the name of the officer you spoke to, the police station involved and the date you reported the incident.
- Prevent further loss. Do everything within your power and the bounds of safety and common sense to prevent further damage to your vehicle if something happens.
- Cooperate with Shannons and assist it with your claim. You will need to pass on any relevant information and must provide certain assistance on request, such as access to the damaged vehicle, permission to tow it and proof of events.
- Prove vehicle ownership and value. You will need to prove the vehicle’s value and your ownership of it. This can mean providing things like vehicle registration, sales contracts, photographs, receipts, bank statements and proof of vehicle modifications and accessories.
- You may be required to pay one or more excesses in the event of a claim, including basic excess and young driver excess.
If you’ve made a successful claim, Shannons can choose to:
- Repair your vehicle
- Pay the cost of repairing your vehicle
- Replace or pay the agreed value of your vehicle
Some final questions about your Shannons policy you might have
More guides on Finder
Car loan statistics 2021
Finder research shows 2.7 million Australians have a car loan. Find out how much Aussies are borrowing, and how this has changed over time.
Six of the best electric cars in Australia
Here are some of the best electric cars in Australia in 2021.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Car-ching: Ute and SUV drivers are spending an extra $4,500 each year
Australians could be paying thousands of dollars more than necessary to keep their car running, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Best camping gazebos in Australia
Whether you’re heading to the beach or the bush, we’ve found the best camping gazebo for you.
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Ask an Expert