Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Famous Car Insurance

Looking for car insurance to cover you on the road and the track?

No reviews yet. Write a review

Famous Car Insurance is designed for people who want a high level of cover for vehicles they love. It’s one of very few insurers that can cover you on racetracks as well as on the open road.

Find out what the options are, and what’s covered by Famous car insurance.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Famous Car Insurance website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
Compare car insurance

What am I covered for?

You can choose:

  • Comprehensive cover. Comprehensive car insurance for your vehicle.
  • Transit, storage and restoration cover. All the cover of comprehensive car insurance, but not while your vehicle is being driven under its own power, except for the purposes of being loaded on or off a trailer, or other form of transport.

You might get comprehensive cover for a road vehicle, or transit, storage and restoration cover for a non-street-legal event car.

In both cases, you are able to choose either agreed value or market value cover.

You are covered for:

  • Third party property damage
  • Accidents
  • Malicious damage
  • Theft and attempted theft
  • Fires
  • Storm, flood and other weather events

The cover also includes:

  • New car replacement. If your vehicle is a total loss within 24 months of initial registration, you can get an equivalent new replacement up to the limits of the sum insured.
  • Towing. Up to $2,000 for necessary towing costs.
  • Trailer cover. Up to $1,000 of cover for trailer damage while attached to your vehicle
  • Windscreen and glass replacement. Up to one no-excess windscreen or window glass replacement per policy period (not available for classic cars).
  • Emergency repairs. Up to $500 for emergency repairs as needed.
  • Emergency accommodation. Up to $500 for emergency accommodation while you are 100km or more from home.
  • Hire car following theft. Up to $100 per day, for up to 14 days, for for a replacement hire car following theft.
  • Hire car following accident: Up to $50 per day, for up to 14 days, for a replacement hire car following an accident.
  • Personal property: Up to $500 for personal property, excluding cash, cards and business items, destroyed, damaged or stolen in an insured event.
  • Replacement keys and locks: Up to $2,000 for replacement, re-keying and recoding of keys and locks.
  • Delivery after repair: Up to $500 for the cost of returning your car to you after repair, if the repairer’s premises are more than 100km from your residence or workplace.
  • Air freight import cover: Up to $5,000 for express freight of parts only available overseas.
  • Sea transport: Covers general average and salvage costs that may be incurred. while your vehicle is being transported by sea within Australian boundaries.
  • Tools: Up to $1,000 for the theft of car-related spare parts and tools. A $150 excess applies.

You can also add optional CAMS event cover if needed.

Track day car insurance: Optional cover for a Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) event

This Famous car insurance option is one of just a few different motorsports car insurance options available in Australia.

  • It only covers you while driving in a CAMS sanctioned Level 2 Speed (L2S) or Level 2 Non Speed (L2NS) motor sport event.
  • The cover is only for damage caused to your vehicle by collisions with another vehicle
  • It only covers you for a maximum of $10,000
  • A minimum excess of $1,000 applies to all claims made under this cover

What exclusions are there?


  • High performance vehicles are not covered under this policy while in the control of P platers, learner drivers or under 25s, unless they are providing a service like repairs, or valet services.
  • You cannot claim for damage less than the applicable excesses, even if the excess would not apply. For example, if another driver is responsible for $2,000 of damage to your car, and your total excess is over $2,000, you wouldn’t be able to claim even though no excess might apply.
  • You are required to update Famous if your car’s overnight parking situation changes, or you may not be covered
  • Depreciation, wear and tear, rust and corrosion
  • Damage to tyres caused by braking, road cuts, punctures or bursts
  • Loss resulting from a failure to take reasonable precautions, or to minimise damage or loss. For example, if you do not change locks and keys if your keys are stolen
  • Loss resulting from your vehicle being in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
  • Loss resulting from drunk or drugged driving, or if you refuse to take a drug or alcohol test following an accident
  • Driving off road, or on an ungazetted roadway
  • While your car was being driven on a racetrack or in an event, except where covered by the CAMS event cover optional extra

How much does it cost?

Your premiums are determined by factors including:

  • The type of vehicle
  • The age of the vehicle
  • How often the car is driven
  • Where you live and how the car is usually parked overnight
  • The age and experience of drivers
  • Your previous claims history and driving record

In the event of a claim you will also have to pay an excess, unless you can provide the details of another party that is at fault instead. You will have a standard excess to pay, and may also have to pay an additional excess on top of that.

Additional excess may include:

  • $2,000 while your car was in the charge of anyone under the age of 21
  • $1,500 if your car was in the charge of anyone age 21 to 25
  • $500 while our car was in the charge of anyone who’s only held a full Australian driver’s license for less than 2 years
  • $500 while your car is in the charge of anyone age 75 or older

How to pay premiums and make claims

You can pay premiums annually by cheque, credit card or BPAY, or make direct debit instalments from your bank account.

To take out cover with Famous, you may need to provide:

  • A sales receipt for the car if recently purchased
  • Registration papers
  • A finance contract, if it’s under finance
  • The traffic record for all requested drivers
  • An insurance record or your latest renewal notice where applicable
  • A list of all accessories and modifications, and their values

Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site