Budget Direct Roadside Assistance
Don’t let a breakdown slow you down. Budget Direct Roadside Assistance can help get you back on the road.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
It’s a known truth that breakdowns happen sooner or later. Sometimes it may only be as you’re pulling out of the driveway. Other times, you’re in the middle of nowhere. Whether it’s a faulty tyre or battery, no fuel or a busted thingamajiggy, having roadside assistance can have you back on the road in no time. But what’s included in a roadside assistance policy? Are there any exclusions and what do you do if there is a breakdown?
Compare Budget Direct Roadside Assistance Cover Options
What does my policy give me access to?
Budget Direct Roadside Assistance offers a range of benefits and support in the event of a breakdown.
- Unlimited call-outs. Whether your car has seen more than its fair share of years or you’re just unlucky, you can relax knowing that there unlimited call-outs (within their Fair Use Policy) during your policy period.
- Technical phone assistance. With a team of mechanics and vehicle experts available 24/7, you can draw on knowledge and experience to diagnose your car’s issue over the phone and possibly solve the issue or help translate what the mechanic says.
- Accident coordination. If you are involved in an accident, you can receive support and advice over the phone, though roadside assistance does not provide legal liability or cover the cost of repairs or labour.
What does the policy cover?
|Benefit||Is it included?||Cover limit|
|Minor roadside repairs||Up to $20|
|Breakdown towing||Up to 15km in greater metropolitan cities and major towns and up to 50km round trip in rural and remote regions.|
|Flat battery assistance||Covers the cost of a jump start, though replacement of battery isn’t covered.|
|Lockout or lost key||Up to $125 for assisted entry to the vehicle, a taxi or courier to retrieve a spare key.|
|Out of fuel||Up to $15|
|Tyre change assistance||Covers arrangements to change and replace the tyre or tow if unable.|
|Taxi||Provides arrangements for taxi or other transport, but not costs or charges for transportation.|
|Hire car||Provides arrangements for a hire car when you are more than 100km from home. All charges will be at your cost.|
|Accommodation||Provides arrangements for accommodation when you are more than 100km from home. All charges will be at your cost.|
Are there any exclusions?
There are a few exclusions you need to be aware of. Service calls will not be responded to if they are due to:
- Failure to use reasonable care or carry out regular maintenance or inappropriate maintenance or repair.
- Assistance or call-outs for emergency or life-threatening events or situations (for these situations, call emergency services on 000).
- Any mechanical servicing or repair.
- Failure to follow the instructions of the vehicle manufacturer, repairer or insurance provider.
- Inappropriate or incorrect fitting of parts or accessories.
- Sub-standard repairs or parts fitted which are not fit for purpose.
- Accident damage, break-in or attempted break-in of your vehicle.
- Breakdowns that are associated with any attached caravan or trailer or their couplings.
There are also a bunch of other exclusions to be aware of, so be sure to read the terms and conditions before you sign on the dotted line.
Am I protected in an accident?
No. Roadside assistance only provides cover for breakdowns. You would still cover any costs and charges for labour or, in the event of an accident, legal liability. For protection against third party property or accidental damage, Budget Direct offers TPPD and comprehensive cover.
What do I do if my car breaks down?
If the bonnet’s up and you’re on the side of the road, make sure that you have your hazard lights on. Remain in your vehicle and try to get as far off the road as is safe.
Call 1800 514 448 for 24/7 support and access to roadside assistance.
More guides on Finder
Hybrid car insurance comparison
Compare hybrid car insurance quotes.
Electric car ownership guide
Find out how to switch from a fossil-fuel guzzler to an electric car.
RAC Roadside Assistance
Is RAC Roadside Assistance right for you?
RAA Roadside Assistance
Find out what RAA Roadside Assistance covers you for and how much it costs.
24/7 Roadservices Roadside Assistance
Find out what 24/7 Roadside Assistance covers you for and how much policies cost.
Finder car insurance rating
Want to know how we ranked our car insurers? Check out our methodology here.
What is Lexus Encore?
The Encore benefits program is another great reason to buy a new or certified pre-owned Lexus model.
RACV roadside assistance
Find out what RACV roadside assistance offers.
RACQ Roadside Assistance
Find out what you can get with RACQ roadside assistance.
Allianz Roadside Assistance
Find out if Allianz Roadside Assistance has a policy that's right for you.
Ask an Expert