15% off on first year's premium
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
It’s a known truth that breakdowns happen sooner or later. Sometimes it may only be as you’re pulling out of the driveway. Other times, you’re in the middle of nowhere. Whether it’s a faulty tyre or battery, no fuel or a busted thingamajiggy, having roadside assistance can have you back on the road in no time. But what’s included in a roadside assistance policy? Are there any exclusions and what do you do if there is a breakdown?
Compare Budget Direct Roadside Assistance Cover Options
What does my policy give me access to?
Budget Direct Roadside Assistance offers a range of benefits and support in the event of a breakdown.
- Unlimited call-outs. Whether your car has seen more than its fair share of years or you’re just unlucky, you can relax knowing that there unlimited call-outs (within their Fair Use Policy) during your policy period.
- Technical phone assistance. With a team of mechanics and vehicle experts available 24/7, you can draw on knowledge and experience to diagnose your car’s issue over the phone and possibly solve the issue or help translate what the mechanic says.
- Accident coordination. If you are involved in an accident, you can receive support and advice over the phone, though roadside assistance does not provide legal liability or cover the cost of repairs or labour.
What does the policy cover?
|Benefit||Is it included?||Cover limit|
|Minor roadside repairs||Up to $20|
|Breakdown towing||Up to 20km in greater metropolitan cities and major towns and up to 50km round trip in rural and remote regions.|
|Flat battery assistance||Covers the cost of a jump start, though replacement of battery isn’t covered.|
|Lockout or lost key||Up to $125 for assisted entry to the vehicle, a taxi or courier to retrieve a spare key.|
|Out of fuel||Up to $15|
|Tyre change assistance||Covers arrangements to change and replace the tyre or tow if unable.|
|Taxi||Provides arrangements for taxi or other transport, but not costs or charges for transportation.|
|Hire car||Provides arrangements for a hire car when you are more than 100km from home. All charges will be at your cost.|
|Accommodation||Provides arrangements for accommodation when you are more than 100km from home. All charges will be at your cost.|
Are there any exclusions?
There are a few exclusions you need to be aware of. Service calls will not be responded to if they are due to:
- Failure to use reasonable care or carry out regular maintenance or inappropriate maintenance or repair.
- Assistance or call-outs for emergency or life-threatening events or situations (for these situations, call emergency services on 000).
- Any mechanical servicing or repair.
- Failure to follow the instructions of the vehicle manufacturer, repairer or insurance provider.
- Inappropriate or incorrect fitting of parts or accessories.
- Sub-standard repairs or parts fitted which are not fit for purpose.
- Accident damage, break-in or attempted break-in of your vehicle.
- Breakdowns that are associated with any attached caravan or trailer or their couplings.
There are also a bunch of other exclusions to be aware of, so be sure to read the terms and conditions before you sign on the dotted line.
Is this cover right for me?
Budget Direct has a number of eligibility requirements to meet. You must own a vehicle that is mechanically sound and otherwise fit to be operated and driven on Australian roads. This is just one example - it's important to read Budget Direct's Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to determine if this insurance will meet your needs and circumstances.
Am I protected in an accident?
No. Roadside assistance only provides cover for breakdowns. You would still cover any costs and charges for labour or, in the event of an accident, legal liability. For protection against third party property or accidental damage, Budget Direct offers TPPD and comprehensive cover.
What do I do if my car breaks down?
If the bonnet’s up and you’re on the side of the road, make sure that you have your hazard lights on. Remain in your vehicle and try to get as far off the road as is safe.
Call 1800 514 448 for 24/7 support and access to roadside assistance.
More guides on Finder
How to check car insurance
How to stay up to date with your car insurance and avoid any hassle.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Yes, you need car insurance to protect you from expensive bills following an accident.
Your comprehensive guide to getting trailer insurance for caravans, mobile homes and box trailers.
Road trip statistics Australia
Finder research found 42% of Australians, equivalent to 8.2 million people, are planning a domestic road trip over the next 6 months.
Toyota LandCruiser car insurance
A Toyota LandCruiser car insurance policy is around $138.43 a month. Compare 5+ policies side-by-side to see if you can get better value for your money.
Toyota HiAce insurance
The average Toyota HiAce comprehensive insurance policy is $107.21 a month. Compare 5+ policies, discounts and find out if you could pay less.
Toyota Granvia insurance
The average Toyota Granvia comprehensive insurance policy is $127.36 a month. Compare 5+ policies, discounts and get covered for a hire car, personal effects and more.
Toyota C-HR car insurance
Toyota C-HR car insurance costs around $X a month. Compare 5+ policies to see if you could be paying less.
ROLLiN’ car insurance review
ROLLiN' is an IAG-backed car insurer offering a flexible comprehensive plan that's refreshingly free from faff.
Toyota RAV4 car insurance
The average insurance policy for a Toyota RAV4 is $105 a month. Compare 5+ policies and you could save.
Ask an Expert