15% off on first year's memberships
It’s a known truth that breakdowns happen sooner or later. Sometimes it may only be as you’re pulling out of the driveway. Other times, you’re in the middle of nowhere. Whether it’s a faulty tyre or battery, no fuel or a busted thingamajiggy, having roadside assistance can have you back on the road in no time. But what’s included in a roadside assistance policy? Are there any exclusions and what do you do if there is a breakdown?
Compare Budget Direct Roadside Assistance Cover Options
What does my policy give me access to?
Budget Direct Roadside Assistance offers a range of benefits and support in the event of a breakdown.
- Unlimited call-outs. You can relax knowing you have unlimited call-outs (within their Fair Use Policy) during your policy period.
- Technical phone assistance. With a team of mechanics and vehicle experts available 24/7, you can draw on knowledge and experience to diagnose your car’s issue over the phone and possibly solve the issue or help translate what the mechanic says.
- Accident coordination. If you are involved in an accident, you can receive advice over the phone, though roadside assistance does not provide legal liability or cover the cost of repairs or labour.
What does the policy cover?
|Benefit||Is it included?||Cover limit|
|Minor roadside repairs||Up to $20|
|Breakdown towing||Up to 20km in greater metropolitan cities and major towns and up to 50km round trip in rural and remote regions.|
|Flat battery assistance||Covers the cost of a jump start, though replacement of battery isn’t covered.|
|Lockout or lost key||Up to $125 for assisted entry to the vehicle, a taxi or courier to retrieve a spare key.|
|Out of fuel||Up to $15|
|Tyre change assistance||Covers arrangements to change and replace the tyre or tow if unable.|
|Taxi||Provides arrangements for taxi or other transport, but not costs or charges for transportation.|
|Hire car||Provides arrangements for a hire car when you are more than 100km from home. All charges will be at your cost.|
|Accommodation||Provides arrangements for accommodation when you are more than 100km from home. All charges will be at your cost.|
Are there any exclusions?
There are a few exclusions you need to be aware of. Service calls will not be responded to if they are due to:
- Failure to use reasonable care or carry out regular maintenance or inappropriate maintenance or repair.
- Assistance or call-outs for emergency or life-threatening events or situations (for these situations, call emergency services on 000).
- Any mechanical servicing or repair.
- Failure to follow the instructions of the vehicle manufacturer, repairer or insurance provider.
- Inappropriate or incorrect fitting of parts or accessories.
- Sub-standard repairs or parts fitted which are not fit for purpose.
- Accident damage, break-in or attempted break-in of your vehicle.
- Breakdowns that are associated with any attached caravan or trailer or their couplings.
There are also a bunch of other exclusions to be aware of, so be sure to read the terms and conditions before you sign on the dotted line.
Is this cover right for me?
Budget Direct has a number of eligibility requirements to meet. You must own a vehicle that is mechanically sound and otherwise fit to be operated and driven on Australian roads. This is just one example - it's important to read Budget Direct's Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to determine if this insurance will meet your needs and circumstances.
Am I protected in an accident?
No. Roadside assistance only provides cover for breakdowns. You would still cover any costs and charges for labour or, in the event of an accident, legal liability. For protection against third party property or accidental damage, Budget Direct offers TPPD and comprehensive cover.
What do I do if my car breaks down?
If the bonnet’s up and you’re on the side of the road, make sure that you have your hazard lights on. Remain in your vehicle and try to get as far off the road as is safe.
Call 1800 514 448 for 24/7 support and access to roadside assistance.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
High-risk car insurance
Learn the factors that may cause you to be considered a high-risk driver and whether you might be eligible for cover.
Not at fault car accident
What you need to know about insurance if you’re involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault.
Allianz vs AAMI car insurance
Allianz vs AAMI – compare policies side by side and see who has what matters to you.
How long after a car accident can you claim?
Find out how long you have to file your car insurance claim.
Choice of repairer car insurance
Not sure if you should go with your own repairer or your insurer's favourite? Learn the pros and cons of each here.
Can you insure a car in someone else’s name?
Thinking about taking out car insurance under your parent's name? Read on to learn if it really is a good idea.
Compare Car Insurance NSW
Your guide to getting car insurance in NSW.
Short term car insurance Australia
Find out what short term car insurance options are available in Australia.
Car insurance cover notes explained
Car insurance cover notes are no longer available in Australia. Read on to learn why and what your alternatives are.
Car insurance for P-platers
Find affordable and comprehensive car insurance for P-platers with this handy guide.
Ask an Expert