The Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard is suited to people who want a frequent flyer credit card they can take overseas, as this is one of the few cards offering no foreign transaction fees and uncapped Qantas Points per $1 spent. It also offers a digital card you can set up once you're approved, 24-hour fraud monitoring and temporary card-locking through the app.
Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard
- Purchase rate
- 19.99% p.a.
- Reward point per $ spent
- Annual fee
- $270 p.a.
- Interest-free on purchases
- Up to 44 days
0% foreign transaction fees on online and overseas purchases
Balance transfer offer of 2.99% p.a. for 9 months
Complimentary insurance and purchase protection benefits
Black-tier Qantas card that does not offer lounge passes
|Product Name||Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard|
|Balance transfer rate p.a.||2.99% for 9 months, then 19.99%|
|Balance transfer limit||95% of available limit|
|Purchase rate p.a.||19.99%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate p.a.||21.99%|
|Min credit limit||$12,000|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $20, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$25|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||0%|
|Cash advance fee||3% or $4, whichever is greater|
|Overseas cash advance fee||3% or $4, whichever is greater|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$0|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||3|
How to applyYou can apply for the Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard online by filling in a secure application form on the Bankwest website. Get started by checking you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the details and supporting documentation needed for the application.
- Residency. You must be a permanent Australian resident with a valid address in order to apply online. You must also be able to prove your residency in order to be eligible for this credit card.
- New cardholder. You can apply for this card as long as you don't have another current Bankwest Qantas Mastercard in your name.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Eligible balance transfer. If you want to request a balance transfer, you can transfer from $500 up to 95% of your credit limit from Australian cards not issued by Bankwest.
Documents and details
- Personal details. This includes your full name, email address, residential address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Frequent flyer number. You will need to provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number on the application so you can earn Qantas Points through this card. If you’re not a frequent flyer member yet, you can get the $99.50 joining fee waived when you sign up via Bankwest or check out our guide for other ways to join Qantas Frequent Flyer for free.
- Employment details. This includes your current job title, length of employment, income and your employer's contact details. You also need to provide payslips showing your income for the past 45 days, or bank account details showing the past three months worth of salary payments.
- Other financial details. If you receive payments from an investment property, superannuation or pension, you'll need to provide details and documents to verify this income. You'll also need to share details of other assets, such as savings, existing debts and loans, as well as estimates of your regular household bills and grocery spending.
- Balance transfer details. For balance transfers, you'll need to include details of the existing credit card debt (or debts) that you want to transfer to the new card.
- Qantas Points per $1 spent. This card earns 1 Qantas Point per $1 on eligible transactions up to $5,000 per statement period, then 0.5 points per $1 spent for the rest of that statement period. Eligible transactions include spending on groceries, petrol, dining, travel and most everyday purchases. But transactions that don't earn points include balance transfers, cash advances, BPAY payments, government charges and business-related transactions.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. The Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard does not charge a foreign transaction fee when you use it for purchases overseas or online in a foreign currency.
- Complimentary overseas travel insurance. The Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard offers complimentary, comprehensive overseas travel insurance, which includes cover for overseas emergency medical, baggage and cancellations. It also offers transit accident insurance and interstate flight inconvenience insurance. As with any travel insurance, make sure you read the policy document for full details of the cover and claims process.
- Purchase insurances. This card also gives you access to purchase security insurance, price guarantee cover and extended warranty insurance for eligible items.
- Digital card and wallets. You can set up a digital version of your card through the Bankwest app once you're approved, then start using it before the physical one arrives in the mail. You can also add it to your Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay digital wallets.
- Balance transfer offer. This card offers a low introductory rate of 2.99% p.a. for the first 9 months on balance transfers. There is no balance transfer fee for this offer, but keep in mind that some other cards have 0% balance transfer offers. And after the introductory period, any remaining balance from the transfer will attract a 19.99% p.a. variable rate.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The $270 annual fee on this card is similar to other premium frequent flyer credit cards.
- Purchase rate. The Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard has a 19.99% p.a. interest rate for purchases, which is on par with other frequent flyer and rewards cards.
- Interest-free days. This card offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases when you pay the total balance, excluding any balance transfers, by the due date on your statement.
- Cash advance rate. If you use this card to withdraw cash or make any other cash advance transactions, a 21.99% p.a. interest rate applies from the date of the transaction.
- Cash advance fee. A fee of 3% of the transaction amount or $4 (whichever is greater) also applies for cash advances and cash-equivalent transactions.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
July 19, 2019
Does the Bankwest world MasterCard still have loungekey access?
July 20, 2019
Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.
This card doesn’t have LoungeKey access but the Bankwest More World Mastercard has. With the Bankwest More World Mastercard, you may enjoy 10 complimentary airport lounge visits each calendar year.
You may have lounge access if you are a Qantas Club member. As a Qantas Club member, you need to book a Qantas (QF) flight number to access Qantas and partner lounges when traveling in the Economy on their partner airlines including Emirates.
I hope this helps.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Show more Show less
April 17, 2018
What would be the minimum income requirement be for the Bankwest Qantas World MasterCard be?
April 18, 2018
Thanks fo your inquiry. I’m afraid that Bankwest has not disclosed their income requirements for this card, though you can contact the bank to confirm. Please note though that banks vary in terms of setting their eligibility requirements depending on the type of credit card.
Show more Show less
March 11, 2015
I have been a customer of bank west for a few years.. although do not have a credit card with you
I am interested in the black Qantas world card but read it is by invite only…
How do I get invited?
March 12, 2015
Hi Kate, thanks for your inquiry!
Unfortunately since this program is an invite-only the criteria which Bankwest undertake to select members has not been disclosed. It would be best to contact Bankwest directly in regards to this inquiry and make a formal request to join this program.
I hope this helps.
Show more Show less