Cardless cash lets you withdraw cash from ATMs without your debit card.
Cardless cash is a feature offered by some Australian banks which allows customers to withdraw cash from an ATM using their smartphone, instead of their debit card. This feature is a safe and convenient way to access cash for when you leave your wallet at home.
Learn how to use cardless cash in this guide, and compare bank accounts that offer this handy feature below.
What is cardless cash and how does it work?
Cardless cash allows you to withdraw money from an ATM without using your debit card. Instead, you can opt to receive a unique code from your bank to your phone (either by text message or within your mobile banking app) that you can then use at an eligible ATM to verify your cash withdrawal. If your bank offers cardless cash, you can access the feature within your mobile banking app. You need to select how much cash you'd like to withdraw within the app, and you can only use an ATM that supports the cardless cash feature.
Why use cardless cash?
Cardless cash is a safe and convenient way to access money when you're out-and-about without your debit card. For example if you forgot your wallet, or if you're out for a run with just your phone on you. You can also use cardless cash as a way of helping family members access money if they're ever in need, by providing them the unique code so they can withdraw the money from a nearby eligible ATM.
Does my bank offer cardless cash?
Only CBA, Westpac, St.George, Bank SA and Bank of Melbourne offer cardless cash in Australia. NAB and ANZ do not yet offer cardless cash to customers, nor does ING, Bankwest or Bendigo Bank.
|Bank||Account with cardless cash||Cardless cash withdrawal limits||Cardless cash code expiry|
|Westpac||Westpac Choice Account||Limit of 3 cardless cash withdrawals a day, with a daily limit of $500 and weekly limit of $1000.||Code expires after 3 hours|
|CBA||Commonwealth Bank Smart Access Account||Cardless cash withdrawals are limited to $500 each day.||Code expires after 30 minutes|
|St.George||St.George Complete Freedom Account||Limit of 3 cardless cash withdrawals a day, with a daily limit of $500 and weekly limit of $1000.||Code expires after 3 hours|
|Bank SA||Bank SA Complete Freedom Account||Limit of 3 cardless cash withdrawals a day, with a daily limit of $500 and weekly limit of $1000.||Code expires after 3 hours|
|Bank of Melbourne||Bank of Melbourne Complete Freedom Account||Limit of 3 cardless cash withdrawals a day, with a daily limit of $500 and weekly limit of $1000.||Code expires after 3 hours|
Does my phone support the cardless cash feature?
|Bank||Mobile banking app||Device compatibility requirements for iOS (Apple) app||Device compatibility requirements for Google Play app|
|Westpac||The Westpac App||Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.||Compatible with Android devices, requires version 6.0 and above|
|Commonwealth Bank||The CommBank app||Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.||Compatible with Android devices, requires version 6.0 and above|
|St.George||St.George Mobile Banking||Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.||Compatible with Android devices, requires version 6.0 and above|
|Bank SA||BankSA Mobile Banking||Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.||Compatible with Android devices, requires version 6.0 and above|
|Bank of Melbourne||Bank of Melbourne Banking||Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.||Compatible with Android devices, requires version 6.0 and above|
Follow these steps to use cardless cash
Follow these steps to use cardless cash.
1. Correct transaction account. Make sure you have an everyday transaction account that offers the cardless cash feature. You can see these accounts in the table above. Also make sure your device is compatible with the bank's mobile banking app.
2. Select cardless cash in your mobile banking app. Select the cardless cash option within your mobile banking app, and enter the amount of cash you'd like to withdraw. There are daily withdrawal limits, as noted in the table above.
3. Receive your unique code. After confirming your cardless cash request you'll be sent a unique code as a text message or on the screen in your mobile banking app (or both). For security, this code will expire after a short amount of time.
4. Locate a cardless cash ATM. Navigate to the closest ATM within your bank's network that's compatible with cardless cash. You may be able to locate your closest ATM using your mobile banking app. When you get there, select the cardless cash option on the ATM and enter your unique code when prompted to receive your cash.
Cardless cash versus Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay
Digital wallet solutions like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay also allow you to make purchases using your phone without your wallet. However, these services are for tap and go EFTPOS transactions only, and don't enable you to withdraw cash. Cardless cash is helpful if you need to make a cash payment, for example at a store that only accepts cash.
How to compare debit cards with cardless cash
While there are only a few banks that offer cardless cash options, it's still important compare the following to help make choosing an account easier.
How does the bank ensure cardless cash transactions are secure?
You want to ensure that your money is protected. Check what security measures are in place to ensure that no one else can use the app to gain access to your account.
How easy is it to use the app?
It is hard to beat the ease of sliding a card into a machine, entering a code, and pulling out your cash. With an app, you want to make sure that the process is just as simple.
How extensive is the ATM network?
Check to see how extensive the ATM network is for each bank. Since this app requires some pre-planning, you don’t want to get your code and then have no ATM to use it at. Also, you need to use an ATM that offers this feature which may be harder to find.
Handset compatibility: does your device work with the app?
The app will need to work on your current mobile device. Look carefully at the specifications when making your comparisons.
Check to see if you can nominate someone else to pick up the cash on your behalf. In some cases, you just need to provide the app with the appropriate person’s mobile phone number.
What are the limits on cardless cash withdrawals?
You're limited to the amount of money you can withdraw daily from your account.
Is a time limit applied?
As an added security measure, check to see how long the code is valid after receiving it. For example with Commonwealth Bank, the code is only valid for 30 minutes.
What are the benefits of using cardless cash?
- The convenience of travelling light. With cardless cash, you have the ability to travel light when you need to.
- In cases of emergencies. You can continue to access your cash even if you've left your wallet at home.
- You can share it with your trusted family and friends. This makes it easier to give family members limited access to the account when they need it. Rather than paying for extra debit cards or worrying about how much they withdraw, you can control their spending by using the app.
- No additional costs for using it. The app works the same as a debit card when withdrawing money. So long as you are using ATMs in your bank’s network, you should not be charged any additional fees.
- Increased security. In some ways, the app provides more security as the code is for one use only, rather than a debit card which prompts you for the same code each time you use it.
What are the drawbacks of using cardless cash?
- Only available with a few bank accounts. Right now, there are only a few banks in Australia that offer this feature with their accounts.
- Limited ATMs. Not all ATMs offer this feature. Plus, if the ATM network is down, you will not be able to use the code to withdraw money until it is up and running again.
How to keep your bank account safe when using cardless cash
With any product or device that provides access to your money, either online or offline, you need to be careful about its security. To best protect your money when using cardless cash, avoid the following:
- Protect your online banking details
Never share the password to your online bank account. With the password, people could gain access to your app and make cardless cash withdrawals without your consent.
- Monitor suspicious transactions on your account
Although banks take precautions to protect your information, there is always the possibility of a hack. If you notice unauthorised withdrawals from your account using cardless cash, notify the bank immediately.
- Only share the code with people you trust
The ability to share the code with family and friends if they're ever stuck and in need of cash is a major benefit. Just be sure to only share the code with people you trust.
You may also be interested in
The partnership will enable Up customers to see their upcoming Afterpay repayments within their mobile banking app. Read more…
The designer range "Centsitive Objects" includes five pieces that each hold a PayWear Card linked to a customer's transaction account. Read more…
Up is backed by Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, and offers tech-driven savings tools, round ups and a 2.75% p.a. interest rate. Read more…
Westpac launches Australian-first feature allowing customers to scan and deposit cheques via the Westpac Live app. Read more…
Employment Hero has launched InstaPay, a market-first tool giving Australians access to their wages early if needed. Read more…
Compare, choose and apply for a term deposit on finder.com.au. Competitive interest rates from leading financial institutions in Australia. Read more…