Use your phone to withdraw cash from ATMs when you don't have your debit card.
Commonwealth Bank, Westpac and St.George have all found a way to make accessing your cash even easier. With secure apps installed on your mobile phone, you can log onto an ATM and withdraw the money you need. Your phone is already at your fingertips – now your cash will be too.
Everyday account with Cardless Cash
Apple Pay, Android Pay & ANZ Mobile Pay.
Take advantage of Apple Pay by linking your ANZ Visa Debit card to an eligible iPhone and seamlessly pay for purchases with your phone.
- Use ANZ Phone Banking and ANZ Mobile Pay using your Android phone
- 24/7 Security and fraud monitoring on your account
- Use Cardless cash to withdraw from ATMs without your debit card
- $0 Monthly fee if you can deposit $2,000 per month
Compare and search for cardless cash debit cards
What is cardless cash and how does it work?
Cardless cash works by providing you with a unique code that you enter into an ATM to withdraw cash when your card is not on hand. This is nice to have if you don’t want to carry your cards, but would still like to withdraw money if you need it. It is also convenient for family members to make withdrawals if they or you are not nearby.
Video: How does the process work?
How do I choose the best debit card for cardless cash?
In Australia, there are only three banks that offer cardless cash options - Westpac, St. George and Commonwealth Bank. As this feature becomes more commonplace, it's important to compare the following to help make choosing an account easier.
How does the bank ensure cardless cash transactions are secure?
You want to ensure that your money is protected. Test the relevant app and check what security measures are in place to ensure that no one else can use the app to gain access to your account.
How easy is it to use the app?
It is hard to beat the ease of sliding a card into a machine, entering a code, and pulling out your cash. With an app, you want to make sure that the process is just as simple.
How extensive is the ATM network?
Check to see how extensive the ATM network is for each bank. Since this app requires some pre-planning, you don’t want to get your code and then have no ATM to use it at. Also, you need to use an ATM that offers this feature.
Handset compatibility: does your device work with the app?
The app will have to work on your current mobile device. For example, NAB Pay is only available for eligible Android devices. Look carefully at the specifications when making your comparisons.
Check to see if you can nominate someone else to pick up the cash on your behalf. In some cases, you just need to provide the app with the appropriate person’s mobile phone number.
Are there limits on cardless cash withdrawals?
You may be limited to the amount of money you can withdraw daily from your account.
Is a time limit applied?
As an added security measure, check to see how long the code is valid after receiving it. For example with Commonwealth Bank, the code is only valid for 30 minutes.
What are the benefits of using cardless cash?
- The convenience of travelling light. With cardless cash, you have the ability to travel light when the occasion calls for it.
- In cases of emergencies. You can continue to access your cash even if you've left your wallet at home.
- You can share it with your trusted family and friends. This makes it easier to give family members limited access to the account when they need it. Rather than paying for extra debit cards or worrying about how much they withdraw, you can control their spending by using the app.
- No additional costs for using it. The app works the same as a debit card when withdrawing money. So long as you are using ATMs in your bank’s network, you should not be charged any additional fees.
- Increased security. In some ways, the app provides more security as the code is for one use only, rather than a debit card which prompts you for the same code each time you use it.
What are the drawbacks of using cardless cash?
- Only available with a few bank accounts. Right now, there are only three banks in Australia that offer this feature with their accounts, limiting your choices when making comparisons.
- If the ATM network is down, you will not be able to use the code to withdraw money until it is up and running again.
Tips to help you keep your bank account safe when using cardless cash
With any product or device that provides access to your money, either online or offline, you need to be careful about its security. To best protect your money when using cardless cash, avoid the following:
- Protect your online banking details
Never share the password to your online bank account. With the password, people could gain access to your cardless cash details and make withdrawals without your consent.
- Monitor suspicious transactions on your account
Although banks take precautions to protect your information, there is always the possibility of a hack. If you notice unauthorised withdrawals from your account using cardless cash, notify the bank immediately.