Never be without cash. Use your phone to withdraw cash from ATMs when you don't have access to your debit card.
Commonwealth Bank, Westpac and St.George have all found a way to make access to your cash even easier. With secure apps installed on your mobile phone, you can log into an ATM and withdraw the money you need. Your phone is already at your fingertips – now your cash will be too.
Cardless Cash Offer
Enjoy low monthly account-keeping fees with St.George Complete Freedom Account and $0 ATM fees.
- $0 monthly fee when at least $2,000 is deposited per month or open a Complete Freedom Student account, otherwise a fee of $5 applies per month
- $0 ATM withdrawal fee at 50,000+ ATMs globally
- Visa Debit with payWave
What is cardless cash and how does it work?
Cardless cash works by providing you with a unique code that can then be entered at an ATM to withdraw cash when your card is not on hand. This is a nice option to have if you don’t want to carry your cards with you, but would still like the option of withdrawing money if you need it. It is also convenient for allowing family members to make withdrawals if you they are not nearby.
Compare debit cards that offer cardless cash
In Australia, there are only four banks that offer cardless cash options on their cards. As this feature becomes more commonplace, it's important to compare the following to help make choosing an account easier.
How does the bank ensure cardless cash transactions are secure?
You want to ensure that your money is being protected above anything else. Test the relevant app and check what security measures are in place to ensure that no one else can use the app to gain access to your account.
How easy is it to use the app?
It is hard to beat the ease of sliding a card into a machine, entering a code, and pulling out your cash. With an app, you want to make sure that the process is just as simple.
How extensive is the ATM network?
Check to see how extensive the ATM network is for each of the banks. Since this app requires some pre-planning, you don’t want to get your code but be stuck with no ATM to use it at.
Handset compatibility: does your device work with the app?
The app will have to be available in a format that fits the version of your current mobile device. Look carefully at the specifications when making your comparisons.
Check to see if you are able to nominate someone else to pick up the cash on your behalf. In some cases this can be done by providing the app with the appropriate person’s mobile phone number.
Are there limits on cardless cash withdrawals?
You may be limited to the amount of money you can withdraw from your account daily using this method.
Is a time limit applied?
As an added security measure, check to see how long after receiving the code it is still valid.
What are the benefits of using cardless cash?
- The convenience of travelling light. With cardless cash, you have the ability to travel light when the occasion calls for it.
- In cases of emergencies. You can continue to access your cash even if you've left your wallet at home.
- You can share it with your trusted family and friends. This makes it easier to allow family members limited access to the account when they need it. Rather than paying for extra debit cards or worrying about how much they withdraw, you can control their spending by using the app.
- No additional costs for using it. The app works in the same as a debit card does to withdrawal money. So long as you are using ATMs in the bank’s network, you should not be charged any additional fees.
- Increased security. In some ways, the app provides more security as the code is for one use only, rather than a debit card which prompts you for the same code each time you use it.
What are the drawbacks of using cardless cash?
- Only available with a few bank accounts. Right now there are only three banks in Australia that are offering this feature with their accounts, limiting your choices when making comparisons.
- There could be outages, sometimes. If the ATM network is down, you will not be able to use the code to withdraw money until it is up and running again.
Tips to help you keep your bank account safe when using cardless cash
With any product or device that provides access to your money in the bank -online or offline- you need to be very careful about its security. To best protect your money with a cardless cash debit card, avoid the following.
- Ensure you protect your online banking details
Never allow anyone to know the password to your online bank account. With that, they could gain access to your cardless cash details and make withdrawals without your consent.
- Monitor suspicious transactions on your account
Although banks generally take every precaution to protect your information, there is always the possibility of a hack. If you notice unauthorised withdrawals from your account using cardless cash, notify the bank immediately.