The Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card earns Velocity Frequent Flyer Points per $1 on your eligible spending, a yearly $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher, lounge passes and other perks. It has a $289 annual fee, making it suited to points chasers and big spenders. Right now, it offers 40,000 bonus Velocity Points each month when you apply by 31 January 2024 and spend at least $3,500 on eligible purchases for the first 2 months from card approval – up to a maximum 80,000 bonus points.
Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card
- Bonus points
- Purchase rate
- 20.74% p.a.
- Reward point per $ spent
- Annual fee
- $289 p.a.
This card's annual fee is on par with similar frequent flyer credit cards. But you'll still need to think about whether perks like the annual Virgin Australia Gift Voucher, lounge invitations and points will be enough for you to justify the cost.
Up to 80,000 bonus Velocity Points
Yearly $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher
2 complimentary single-entry Virgin Australia domestic lounge passes per year
1 Velocity Point per $1 on eligible spending up to 8,000 per statement period, then 0.5 per $1
0% p.a. on balance transfers for 12 months, with no BT fee
Bonus point spend requirement is staggered over the first 2 months
Relatively high 20.74% p.a. interest rate for purchases
3.3% foreign transaction fee
No interest-free days on purchases if you have a balance transfer
|Product Name||Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card|
|Balance transfer rate p.a.||0% for 12 months, then 20.99%|
|Balance transfer limit||80% of available limit|
|Purchase rate p.a.||20.74%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate p.a.||20.99%|
|Min credit limit||$15,000|
|Max credit limit||$50,000|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
|Rewards program||Velocity Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.3%|
|Cash advance fee||2.7% or $2.70, whichever is greater|
|Overseas cash advance fee||$5|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$5|
|Additional cardholder fee||$89|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
How to apply
You can apply for the Virgin Australia High Flyer Credit Card online in 10 minutes. Check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the following details handy before you get started.
- Minimum income. Applicants must earn $75,000 per year or more.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Credit history. You must have a good credit score. You can check your comprehensive credit report and score for free through Finder.
- New cardholder. The bonus points offer is only available to new customers.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Income. You'll need to include how much you earn and attach recent copies of payslips or bank statements.
- Frequent Flyer number. You'll need to include your Velocity Frequent Flyer number so that your points can be credited to your account.
- Balance transfer details. If you plan on taking advantage of the introductory balance transfer offer, you will need the name of the institution, account number and amount to be transferred.
- Up to 80,000 bonus Velocity Points. Upon activating your Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card, you will earn 40,000 bonus points every month when you spend at least $3,500 on eligible purchases for the first 2 months. This means you could earn up to a total of 80,000 bonus Velocity Points. Offer ends on 31 January 2024.
- Annual $129 Virgin Australia gift voucher. Each year, you can get a $129 Virgin Australia gift voucher with this card. All you need to do is make an eligible purchase on your card within 2 months before requesting the voucher, which will be issued as a Travel Bank Credit. You'll then have 12 months to use the credit on eligible flights or travel services booked through the Virgin Australia website.
- Velocity Points earn rate. Earn 1 Velocity Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to 8,000 per month, then 0.5 Velocity Points for every $1 spent thereafter (uncapped). You can redeem your Velocity Points for flights, merchandise through the Velocity Rewards store and other travel expenses.
- 2 complimentary Single Entry Virgin Australia domestic Lounge passes. Each year, the passes will appear in your Velocity account as an anniversary present from Virgin Money and are valid until your next card anniversary. Benefits will vary, but you can usually expect dedicated check-in, complimentary food and beverages, work spaces and comfortable seating in Virgin Australia lounges.
- Complimentary insurance. You can travel with peace of mind and save on travel costs with complimentary international travel insurance and domestic travel insurance. Purchases made using the Visa card are also protected with purchase protection insurance and extended warranty insurance.
- Balance transfer offer. If you are approved for the card before 31 January 2024, you can take advantage of a balance transfer offer where you are charged 0% p.a. for 12 months. At the end of the promotional period, any unpaid balances will then attract the variable cash advance rate of 20.99% p.a. You can transfer up to 80% of the approved credit limit from non-Virgin Money accounts.
- Mobile wallets. You can link your account to Samsung Pay, Google Pay and Apple Pay and use your eligible device to make contactless payments.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges a $289 annual fee.
- Interest rate. You will be charged 20.74% p.a. interest on purchases, while cash advances attract a 20.99% p.a. interest rate.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full by the statement due date, you can save with up to 44 interest-free days. Interest-free days don't apply if you're paying off a balance transfer.
- Additional cards. You can request up to 4 additional cards, but are charged $89 a year for each.
- Credit limits. The credit limit for this card starts at $15,000 and can go as high as $50,000, depending on your income and credit history.
- Foreign transaction fee. If you use this card to make purchases online or overseas in a foreign currency, you will be charged a conversion fee of 3.3% of that amount.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
September 19, 2023
What purchasers are deemed eligible for the bonus points?
Amy Bradney-George Finder
September 21, 2023
Most everyday spending is eligible to earn points, including bonus points. For example, groceries, petrol, dining, travel bookings etc. Here’s the wording for the offer terms and conditions from the Virgin Money website: “An eligible purchase means any purchase excluding Cash Advances, Balance Transfers, Special Promotions, refunds and chargebacks, purchases of foreign currency and travellers cheques, transactions made in operating a business, and fees and charges such as interest and ATM charges.” If you have a specific purchase in mind, you could also contact Virgin Money on 13 37 39 to discuss if it’s eligible. I hope this helps.
Show more Show less
September 09, 2019
Is this only for new card members?
September 09, 2019
Thanks for reaching out to Finder.
Yes, Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card is only for new card members.
This offer is not available to existing Virgin Money credit card holders (including upgrades) and can’t also be used in conjunction with other Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Point promotions or offers.
I hope this helps.
Show more Show less
September 19, 2017
To get the points, do I need to spend $3000 per month for 5 months or its total of $3000 in 5 months to get 80000 points?
September 21, 2017
Thanks for your question.
You have to spend $3,000 per month on eligible transactions in the first 5 months and receive 16,000 velocity points each month. To know what are these eligible purchases, please review your card’s Product Disclosure Statements/Terms and Conditions.
Show more Show less
August 30, 2017
Can velocity points in the primary cardholders name be used to purchase flights for the secondary cardholder if there is another person with an additional card tied to the same account?
Anndy Lou Finder
August 31, 2017
Thanks for your question.
Velocity frequent flyer members may redeem points to acquire an Air Reward for other people.
August 21, 2017
If I pay tax bills to the ATO will this give me frequent flyer points?