Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card
Offers 100 bonus Status Credits and up to 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, but you’ll need to meet different spend requirements to get them all.
Right now, the Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card offers the rare combination of bonus Velocity Points and Status Credits when you apply by 31 May 2022. You'll then earn 25,000 bonus Velocity Points each month when you spend at least $3,500 on eligible transactions for the first 4 months from card approval – up to a maximum 100,000 bonus points.
You'll also earn 100 bonus Status Credits if you spend $500 or more on Virgin Australia flights within the first 4 months of card approval. Compared to cards that offer a single spend requirement, this offer could be a bit trickier to meet – so it's worth checking your monthly credit card spending to see if it will work for you.
This card also earns Velocity Frequent Flyer Points per $1 on your eligible spending, a yearly $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher, lounge passes and other perks. It has a $289 annual fee, making it suited to points chasers and big spenders.
Per $ spent
|Product Name||Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card|
|Rewards program||Velocity Frequent Flyer|
|Balance transfer rate p.a.||0% for 12 months|
|Balance transfer revert rate||Cash Advance Rate (20.99% p.a.)|
|Balance transfer limit||80% of available limit|
|Purchase rate p.a.||20.74%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate||20.99% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$15,000|
|Max credit limit||$100,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.3%|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
- Up to 100,000 bonus Velocity Points and 100 bonus Status Credits
- 0% on balance transfers for 12 months, with no BT fee
- $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher and 2 complimentary Single-Entry Virgin Australia domestic Lounge passes per year
- Relatively high purchase interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases, compared to other cards that offer up to 55 days
- Charges a 3.3% foreign transaction fee
|Rewards program||Velocity Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.3%|
|Cash advance fee||2.7% or $2.70, whichever is greater|
|Overseas cash advance fee||$5|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$5|
|Additional cardholder fee||$89|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. She is also the editorial lead for Finder Green, covering sustainability across different industries. Her work has appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy also has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
The bonus Status Credits, on the other hand, would get you almost half-way to Silver status as a Velocity Red member. They could also give you a boost towards Gold or Platinum membership, or help you maintain a higher status level.
This card's annual fee is on par with similar frequent flyer credit cards. But you'll still need to think about whether perks like the annual Virgin Australia Gift Voucher, lounge invitations and points will be enough for you to justify the cost.
How to apply
You can apply for the Virgin Australia High Flyer Credit Card online in 10 minutes. Check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the following details handy before you get started.
- Minimum income. Applicants must earn $75,000 per year or more.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Credit history. You must have a good credit score. You can check your comprehensive credit report and score for free through Finder.
- New cardholder. The bonus points and status offer is only available to new customers.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependents and contact number.
- Income. You'll need to include how much you earn and attach recent copies of payslips or bank statements.
- Frequent Flyer number. You'll need to include your Velocity Frequent Flyer number so that your points can be credited to your account.
- Balance transfer details. If you plan on taking advantage of the introductory balance transfer offer, you will need the name of the institution, account number and amount to be transferred.
- Up to 100,000 bonus Velocity Points. Upon activating your Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card, you will earn 25,000 bonus points every month when you spend at least $3,500 on eligible transactions for the first 4 months. This means you could earn up to a total of 100,000 bonus Velocity Points. Offer ends on 31 May 2022.
- 100 bonus Status Credits. You'll earn 100 bonus Status Credits for your Velocity Frequent Flyer account when you spend $500 or more on Virgin Australia flights booked through www.virginaustralia.com in the first 4 months from card approval. The bonus Status Credits will be added to your account 60 Days after you meet the spend criteria. Offer ends on 31 May 2022.
- Velocity benefits offer. Choose between a bonus 40,000 Velocity Points, Trial Gold Status for 6 months or a $300 Virgin Australia Travel Bank Credit when you register through the Velocity Frequent Flyer website before you apply for this card. You also need to wait for a confirmation email, then apply by 31 May 2022 and meet this card's bonus point spend requirement to get your chosen benefit. Check out Finder's news story for a breakdown on this Velocity Frequent Flyer offer.
- Annual flight voucher. Each year, you can take advantage of an exclusive $129 Virgin Australia gift voucher. All you need to do is make an eligible purchase on your card within 2 months before requesting your voucher. You may use your voucher for booking your Virgin Australia flights or selected Virgin Australia holiday packages anytime within the first 6 months from the voucher issue date.
- Velocity Points earn rate. Earn 1 Velocity Point per $1 spent on eligible transactions up to 8,000 per month, then 0.5 Velocity Points for every $1 spent thereafter (uncapped). You can redeem your Velocity Points for flights, merchandise through the Velocity Rewards store and other travel expenses.
- 2 complimentary Single Entry Virgin Australia domestic Lounge passes. Each year, the passes will appear in your Velocity account as an anniversary present from Virgin Money and are valid until your next card anniversary. Benefits will vary, but you can usually expect dedicated check-in, complimentary food and beverages, work spaces and comfortable seating in Virgin Australia lounges.
- Complimentary insurance. You can travel with peace of mind and save on travel costs with complimentary international travel insurance and transit accident insurance. Purchases made using the Visa card are also protected with purchase cover, an extended warranty and guaranteed pricing scheme covers.
- Balance transfer offer. If you are approved for the card before 31 May 2022, you can take advantage of a balance transfer offer where you are charged 0% p.a. for 12 months. At the end of the promotional period, any unpaid balances will then attract the variable cash advance rate of 20.99% p.a. You can transfer up to 80% of the approved credit limit from non-Virgin Money or other Citigroup accounts.
- Mobile wallets. You can link your account to Samsung Pay and Apple Pay and use your eligible device to make contactless payments.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges a $289 annual fee.
- Interest rate. You will be charged 20.74% p.a. interest on purchases, while cash advances attract a 20.99% p.a. interest rate.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full by the statement due date, you can save with up to 44 interest-free days. Interest-free days don't apply if you're paying off a balance transfer.
- Additional cards. You can request up to 4 additional cards, but are charged $89 a year for each.
- Minimum credit limit. Your approved maximum credit limit will be determined by your income and credit history, but the minimum amount will be $15,000.
- Foreign transaction fee. If you use this card to make purchases online or overseas in a foreign currency, you will be charged a conversion fee of 3.3% of that amount.