5 personal finance podcasts you should be listening to.
We've selected five of the best finance podcasts to help you understand wealth and investments better. All our choices must meet the following criteria:
- Updated regularly (as of 2018).
- Are entertaining, informative and useful for ordinary listeners.
- Deal with topics such as property investment, personal finances, share trading and new financial technologies.
Read more about our picks below in no particular order and follow the links to each podcast's website and iTunes page.
Equity Mates is run by two friends, Bryce and Alec, who met at university. They share a common interest in investing and cover a broad range of topics, from the ASX to taxation to the nuts and bolts of building your own portfolio.
The goal of Equity Mates is to help break down the challenging world of investing and make it easy to understand. It's like chatting about the finance world with very knowledgeable friends.
The Property Couch
Touted as the insider’s guide to property investing, The Property Couch is hosted by Australian property experts Bryce Holdaway and Ben Kingsley. The pair deal with everything you need to know to make the right investment property decisions, from managing cash flow to how to outsmart real estate agents.
Check it out if you’re getting started as a property investor or looking to build your portfolio and need more insight.
You Need a Budget
This long-running weekly personal finance podcast is hosted by Jesse Macham, the creator of a very useful budgeting app that goes by the same name. Advice is offered up in easy-to-digest tidbits, helping you do things like get out of debt and start saving for a secure financial future.
If you’re looking for commonsense advice that’s simple to understand, You Need a Budget is definitely worth a listen.
Nugget's Crypto Podcast
Nugget's Crypto Podcast is one of Australia's most popular podcasts on the subject of the exciting, ever-changing world of cryptocurrency. Host Alex Saunders guides listeners through the complexities of the cryptocurrency market, blockchain-based technologies and other innovations in the world of digital currencies.
We Study Billionaires: The Investors Podcast
Join hosts Preston Pysh and Stig Brodersen as they take a closer look at the lives of billionaires and how they got to where they are today. From Sir Richard Branson to investment guru Warren Buffett, this podcast examines the most important habits of successful investors and offers tips on how you can apply those same habits to your own life.
It’s interesting listening and could change the way you think about managing your finances.
Some more good finance podcasts
We've mentioned our top picks for Australian listeners above, but there are some more popular finance podcasts we feel are also worthy of a mention.
- NPR: Planet Money. Though created for American audiences, that certainly doesn’t mean Australians should avoid it. In fact, there’s plenty of useful information and advice that applies to consumers all across the world. The podcast deals with current international events and the financial impact they can have on consumers. Listen here.
- Talking Wealth. Hosted by the team at financial services company Wealth Within, Talking Wealth deals with all aspects of investing in the share market. Designed to suit both novice and experienced traders, the podcast combines informative educational guides with news, tips and trading strategies. The aim: helping you boost your share market profits. Listen here.
- Freakonomics Radio. The ever-popular Freakonomics Radio podcast is all about the lighter and weirder side of economics and how it affects everyday life. Listen here.