The best money, investing and finance podcasts for Australians 
11 personal finance podcasts you should be listening to this year
We've selected some of the best finance podcasts to help you understand personal finance, wealth and investing better. All our choices must meet the following criteria:
- Updated regularly (as of November 2019).
- Are entertaining, informative and useful for ordinary listeners.
- Deal with topics such as property investment, personal finance, share trading, wealth-building, economics and new financial technologies.
Pocket Money examines the economics of our lives from the basic to the bizarre. It's a podcast about money for the confident, confused and the curious diving into topics from the cost of breaking up to the FIRE Movement. Each week, Pocket Money chats with financial advisers, professional athletes, authors and money experts from across the map. Full disclosure, this is a Finder podcast (so maybe we are biased) but it's definitely worth a listen.
Equity Mates is run by two friends, Bryce and Alec, who met at university. They share a common interest in investing and cover a broad range of topics, from the ASX to taxation to the nuts and bolts of building your own portfolio. The goal of Equity Mates is to help break down the challenging world of investing and make it easy to understand.
The Pineapple Project
Although the show has expanded beyond just money, the first season is a must-listen. Hilarious host Claire Hooper navigates the treacherous waters of managing your money, from getting out of debt and buying your first property and even money and relationships. The Pineapple Project is produced by the ABC, so if you're a fan of high-quality reporting and storytelling, give this one a go.
My Millennial Money
Aussie financial adviser Glen James and property expert John Pidgeon take a light-hearted look at money issues for millennials. In this open table conversation-style podcast with regular expert guests, they teach, encourage and serve up a healthy amount of banter and laughs. Be sure to also check out their shows about property and gen Z money.
She's On The Money
In this popular female-focused podcast, millennial money expert and financial adviser Victoria Devine shares her foolproof tips for financial freedom. Victoria and her guests dig into everything from Afterpay to HECS, our embarrassing money mistakes and empowering money wins. If you're looking for a healthy dose of relatability with your money, pop this one into your subscription feed!
ABC's The Money
Looking for a big picture show about the Australian economy and how we fit into the global picture? This is a very good option. From busting economic myths to reporting on everything from poverty, import/export and even population patterns, this show is a wonderful weekly release that deserves a download or two from every Aussie.
The Australian Finance Podcast
Unfortunately, school doesn't cover a lot of the basics that are so important to maintaining a healthy financial life. Thankfully, Owen Rask and Kate Campbell are here every week with a crash course of actionable information that will help you smash your money goals and quite possibly become the budding money expert in your group of mates.
The Money Cafe
This aptly named podcast features The Australian's wealth editor, James Kirby, and editor-in-chief of InvestSMART, Alan Kohler. Each episode, the two finance experts discuss the biggest news in business, finance and economics, and what it means for investors. Grab your cappuccino and tune in each week.
The Aussie Firebug
Keen to learn more about the FIRE Movement (Financial Independence, Retire Early)? On this uniquely in-depth independent podcast, the Aussie Firebug speaks with all sorts of experts from the finance world to reveal wealth-building strategies and investing tactics for Aussies. It's a rare personal perspective on early retirement, with the Firebug's own financial picture as the guide.
The Michael Yardney Podcast
For years, Michael Yardney has been one of Australia's leading financial experts and property commentators. On his twice-a-week podcast, he invites regular guests to discuss everything from property investment, to habits and success. If you're interested in wrapping your head around wealth-building, browse through his huge catalogue and you'll surely find the topic you need.
The Richards Report
Each episode, former AFL premiership player and current director of Business Development at Six Park, Ted Richards, speaks with experts from the world of finance to explore and learn ways you can make smarter decisions when it comes to investing money and time. His regular conversations with talented investors, athletes and professors will help you to improve your own financial performance.
Some more good finance podcasts
We've mentioned our top picks for Australian listeners above, but here are a few other money podcasts worth a mention, around the globe:
- NPR: Planet Money. Though created for American audiences, that certainly doesn't mean Australians should avoid it. In fact, there's plenty of useful information and advice that applies to consumers all across the world. The podcast deals with current international events and the financial impact they can have on consumers. Listen here.
- Talking Wealth. Hosted by the team at financial services company Wealth Within, Talking Wealth deals with all aspects of investing in the share market. Designed to suit both novice and experienced traders, the podcast combines informative educational guides with news, tips and trading strategies. The aim: helping you boost your share market profits. Listen here.
- Freakonomics Radio. The ever-popular Freakonomics Radio podcast is all about the lighter and weirder side of economics and how it affects everyday life. Listen here.
- You Need A Budget. The US-based YNAB podcast is your weekly dose of just the right medicine to help you get out of debt, save more money and beat the paycheque-to-paycheque cycle. Listen here.
Ask an Expert