The Express Freedom Account from St.George gives you the chance to enjoy the freedom of no fee banking just for making an eligible deposit. With a linked Visa debit card, unlimited online banking and the freedom to withdraw all over Australia from eligible ATMs, this is an everyday account that you may want to look at further.
You can have your monthly fee waived as long as you deposit 1000. Otherwise the fee is $3 per month.
What are the features of the St.George Express Freedom Account?
This everyday bank account can be opened online in less than 5 minutes and comes with the following features.
$0 Monthly service fee if you deposit $1000 that month
Otherwise a $3 monthly fee will apply.
Linked Visa debit card
The Express Freedom Account comes with a Visa debit card, allowing you to make purchases virtually anywhere that a Visa card is accepted, without having to worry about interest payments.
Internet and mobile banking
You can use the St.George internet banking facility for all of your transactions without incurring any fees. A mobile app is also available for both iPhone and Android devices. The app gives you all the same banking features as online banking does, as well as provide you with information about the nearest branch and ATM.
$0 ATM access across the St.George ATM network in Australia
There are no fees when you make withdrawals at an ATM that is a part of the St.George, Bank of Melbourne, Westpac and BankSA network. This includes over 3,000 ATMs around Australia.
No card? Use cardless cash
This is a feature on the mobile app which allows you to make a withdrawal at a St.George ATM without using your Visa debit card. Log into the app and follow the prompts. Once set up, you can withdraw your money at any of the ATMs in Australia stated above.
You get up to 3 cardless cash withdrawals per day and you can share your cash code to friends and family to pay them instantly.
St.George Branch and cheque services
You are charged for these services only if you need them. Cheques are $1 each, while teller assisted transactions are $2.50.
SMS and email alerts
This feature allows you to set up your account to notify you instantly if your account has been credited or debited, if you reach a certain balance level or anything else that will assist you in your banking.
Using your card overseas and for online shopping
If you use your Visa debit card to make a withdrawal at an overseas ATM, you will be charged $5 plus a 3.00% currency conversion fee by St.George in addition to any fees issued by the foreign bank.
- Account can be opened online in less than 5 minutes
- Cardless cash available
- Access over 3,000 ATMs in Australia
- Minimum $1,000 deposit required every month to get the $0 monthly fee
- $3 monthly fee applies if the minimum deposit requirement not fulfilled
- 3% international transaction fee applies
- $5 Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
How do I apply for the St.George Express Freedom account?
If you have decided that this is the transaction account for you, St.George will allow you to fill out an application online. Simply click ‘Go to Site’ and be transferred to the application page.
Eligibility to apply online
There are some eligibility requirements that have to be met in order for St.George to consider your application:
- Minimum age. Express Freedom account holders can be as young as 14 years old. You should note that if you are not eligible for a Visa debit card you can still apply for a Freedom card in order to access the account.
- Residency requirements. Only applicants who are permanent residents of Australia can open the Express Freedom Account.
- Depository requirements. With $1 you can open your Express Freedom Account.
Documentation required to apply online
Once that you have determined that you are eligible, the next step is to gather the following documentation which will be needed to help you in filling out the application in its entirety:
- Tax file number. St.George asks for your tax file number (TFN) so that you can avoid having withholding tax applied to your balance.
- Identification. A valid driver’s licence or passport contains the information necessary to confirm your identity. You can also use a Medicare card, birth certificate or visit your local branch and have your identity verified in person.
What happens after I apply?
The application should take about five minutes to complete. Afterwards you will need to review the details for accuracy before activating the account. In approximately seven to ten business days, a welcome pack will arrive at the address you supplied along with your Visa debit card.