If you’re under 18, at university or study a trade, open a St.George Complete Freedom Student Account for free and pay no monthly fees. A Visa Debit Card is issued with this bank account. Get access to your money when you want it 24 hours a day, seven days week. You don’t even need your card to withdraw money from an ATM.
What are the features of the St.George Bank Complete Freedom Student Account?
A bank account for students
This is a fee free account for under 18s, university students and students of a trade.
Visa Debit Card benefits
Make over-the-counter purchases, online purchases and cash withdrawals using your St.George Complete Freedom Visa Debit Card. You can use this card at shops and ATMs all over the world wherever Visa is accepted. This card also lets you make contactless purchases at Visa payWave terminals.
Enjoy fee free banking
The St.George Bank Complete Freedom Student Account is a fee free transaction account. Overseas transaction fees apply when you make a purchase or withdrawal in a foreign currency.
Cardless ATM withdrawals
Make ATM withdrawals without your debit card: Use the mobile banking application to generate a one time PIN so you can get cash from a St.George ATM. You can make up to three cardless cash withdrawal a day.
Free ATM withdrawals
Withdraw cash from St.George, Westpac, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA and pay no ATM fees. Make free withdrawals at over 3,000 ATMs Australia wide.
Access to an international ATM network
Withdraw for free when you use a Westpac international ATM alliance ATM. Westpac are partnered with major international banks. St.George, Westpac, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne customers can make free withdrawals at over 50,000 ATMs worldwide. Travel overseas and withdraw for less when you use an ATM partnered with the Westpac Group.
Manage your account with mobile banking
Manage your account from your computer, smartphone or tablet device using St.George internet banking or mobile banking application. Make BPAY payments, deposit funds to any account in Australia or overseas, and transfer money between your St.George transaction, savings and credit accounts instantly. Other handy features include the ability to lock your account in a few simple steps and the St.George ATM locator so you can save on cash withdrawal fees.
Access to electronic account statements
You receive electronic statements by default. You can review your account activity for the previous month when you check your email. You can switch to paper statements after you open the account if you prefer.
Visa Zero Liability Policy protects you in case of fraud
The Visa Zero Liability Policy gives you peace of mind knowing that you’ll get a full reimbursement if you’re the victim of card fraud.
Customise your alerts
You can choose to receive SMS and email alerts to help you stay on track with your budget.
- Waived monthly account fees on monthly deposits of minimum $2000
- Internet and mobile banking
- Free ATM withdrawals from from St.George, BoM, BankSA and Westpac ATMs
- Only available to customers <18 or who are full-time tertiary students, including apprentices
How do you apply for the St.George Bank Complete Freedom Student Account?
Click ‘go to site' to be redirected to a secure online application for the St.George Bank Complete Freedom Student Account. The application can be completed in under five minutes.
Eligibility to apply online
- Personal information. Submit your residential address, date of birth, email address, mobile phone number, and one form of approved identification.
- Identification. Provide either one of the following to verify your identity online: Your passport number, driver’s licence number, medicare card number or birth certificate number. If you don’t have one of these forms of identification on hand, you can skip the online identification verification and do it at a St.George branch after you submit the application for a Complete Freedom Student Acccount.
- Eligibility. You can apply for the St.George Complete Freedom Student Account if you’re under the age of 18, a full time teritery sudent or an apprentice.
Documentation for your online application
To be eligible for this fee free account, you need to bring the following forms of identification to a St.George branch.
- Student or apprenticeship documents. University and school students must show either a student identification card, a public transport student concession card or a letter from your school or university. Apprentices must provide a letter from the relevant training body showing registration as an apprentice. This letter must show the following: the apprenticeship registration number, the training contract I.D and the expected apprenticeship completion date.
What happens after I submit my application?
Once you’ve submitted the application, a Visa Debit card will be sent to your residential address in less than two weeks.
I am shopping around for a transaction account that meets my needs. I am considering opening a ‘Complete freedom account’ with you. It is a requirement for myself that I have two debit Visa cards with the account I open. Is this possible with the account you offer ?
You can only get an extra debit card with this account if have a signatory or if the account is a joint account.
What does “signatory” mean?
A bank account signatory is someone who is authorised on your behalf to use the account to deposit or withdraw funds and sign legal documents related to your account. This differs to a joint account holder, who shares joint ownership of the account.
How long does it take for St.George to activate the account and email you if you applied for it over the weekend?
You should’ve received an email after applying listing what your next steps were (if you haven’t it may be necessary to contact St.George directly). You usually will have to identify yourself at a St.George branch before being able to start using your account, but if you’re already a St.George customer this will be unnecessary and your account should be activated within a week.
Can you view your transaction online, instead of a statement every three months?
Yes you can, you’ll need to ask St.George to set you up with an online account where you can view your transactions online. If you wish to stop your paper statements as well, you’ll need to request this from St.George.