Get the Finder app 🥳

Track your credit score


Relocatable home insurance

Living in a transportable building? Relocatable home insurance protects your movable house.


Fact checked

We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .

Want the flexibility of a relocatable home? Then you'll need relocatable home insurance to ensure you're covered if something goes wrong in the moving process. This form of insurance covers events that normal home insurance does not cover, like damage that could occur during the transport of the structure, or during the water and electricity installation for the home at its new location.

What is relocatable home insurance?

Relocatable home insurance is designed to cover a transportable home that is usually lived in, and that is not permanently attached to a site, except for services like water and electricity. If you're living in a relocatable home, you'll need to consider tailored cover in case of an accident.

A relocatable home includes transportable homes that are built in a factory, not on site, manufactured homes, and sometime prefabricated homes. The building can be lifted up and moved. These dwellings do not have foundations, and are often in communities like manufactured home parks or caravan parks where residents lease the land and own the house.

Certain specialist insurers focus on relocatable home insurance. A lot of the major insurers will also cover relocatable homes as part of a building insurance policy, but you'll need to specify the kind of building you want covered during the policy purchase process.

Relocatable home insurance does not cover tents, caravans, campervans or motorhomes, or any dwelling that could be registered as a vehicle. This form of insurance also does not cover buildings that are lived in short term.

How do I get insurance for relocatable homes?

Specialist insurers focus on relocatable home insurance, while major insurers will cover a relocatable house as part of their run-of-the-mill home insurance policies.

If you buy normal home insurance cover, you'll have to specify the type of house you are purchasing cover for when finalising the policy.

In Australia, there are a handful of insurers specialising in this type of cover, including Manufactured Homes Insurance Agency (MHIA), CIL Insurance, Austbrokers Countrywide, Qtrust for owner-builders and Roderick Insurance Brokers. If purchasing a policy through one of these, you'll have a bit more choice as to what's covered and what isn't, and ensuring the unique needs of your relocatable home are met.

Who provides relocatable home insurance in Australia?

There are five speciality insurers that will provide relocatable home insurance.

  • Some cost of relocation if the park the home is in closes
  • Delivery and installation costs following destruction
  • Removal of debris from site if home is damaged
  • Accidental damage, eg. spilt wine on carpet, coffee on computer, breakage of glassware
  • Storm, fire, earthquake, malicious damage or theft
  • Accidental breakage of any part of the building
  • Temporary accommodation up to an amount equal to 10% of the building sum insured, while relocatable home is being repaired or rebuilt.
  • Escape of water due to burst pipe, overflowing sink or washing machine
  • Home and contents legal liability cover up to $20 million
CIL Insurance
  • Covers any additional fixtures you have on site, including gates, pools, pergolas, and more
  • Covers contents including carpets, furnishings, curtains, blinds, portable electrical appliances, clothing, sporting equipment and more
  • Damage from fallen trees or branches
  • Accidental breakage of skylights, glass fixed to home and shower basins and sinks.
  • Flood, storm, fire, earthquake, malicious damage, theft or collision
  • Accidental glass breakage cover
  • Re-building fees and related costs
  • Electrical motor burnout cover
  • Out-of-pocket expenses including temporary accommodation
  • Contents away from the site for up to 90 days
  • New for old replacement
  • Home and contents legal liability cover up to $20 million
Austbrokers Countrywide
  • Flood, storm, fire, malicious damage, theft or collision
  • Temporary accommodation up to an amount equal to 20% of the building sum insured, while relocatable home is being repaired or rebuilt.
  • Home and contents legal liability cover up to $20 million
  • Cover for owner builders
  • Delivered structures
  • Existing property or structures such as garages, sheds or containers on site
  • New work to restore a structure to a liveable condition, including public liability.
  • Storm damage, water and rain and accidental fire, including bushfire damage
  • Theft
Roderick Insurance Brokers
  • Accidental loss or damage including trailers and your contents if required
  • Liability to other people for property damage, injury or death that may be caused by your negligence
  • Flood cover
  • Only covers homes inside the Geelong and Werribee region

What to keep in mind when buying relocatable home insurance

You may need cover during the transportation of your house, which a standard home insurance policy does not cover. This is when specialist insurance is often the better option.

When moving your home from one site to another, also consider what needs to be done to install it on a piece of land. For example, electricity and plumbing will need to be set up, so consider what your insurer offers in these situations so you remain covered.

It's also a good idea to check if you have the option of adding coverage for contents and personal belongings in the home, if you'll be covered for any landscaping of the land around your house, and if there's any replacement cost insurance included in your policy.

Picture: GettyImages

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site